Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are some amazing artistic lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What are some amazing artistic lens? Reply with quote

Bille wrote:
vanylapep wrote:
I'm bored and in need of new excitements..

I'm not a "sharp" guy, I just love beautiful artistic photos.. so I'm asking your help for lens recommendation that could help me take weird (artistic) photos.

I'm open to any suggestions, but not 3,000$ glasses please.. i still need to eat Smile

Thanks!

If you are looking for a lens with distinct character, try the early Canon FL 50/1.4 (short barrel, not the later type II), Komura 35/2.8 (LTM), Super-Rokkor 45/2.8 (LTM), Canon 35/1.5 or 35/2 (both LTM). Modern glass is typically well corrected and more or less equal in rendition.

+1. Many lenses on or before 1960s has more character than because they are less corrected than modern lenses.

If you can spent more, look for some famous lens made by Angenieux, Cooke/Taylor-Hobson, Dallmeyer or Kinoptik.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
What is a lens with cork?

It's a modification made on a filter glass to apply on the lens, originally seen on the mflenses fb page
I can't find the thread on the forum but here are my test http://www.telltale.it/experiment-with-the-cork-bokeh/
scroll down for the lens setup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
vanylapep wrote:

It's a modification made on a filter glass to apply on the lens, originally seen on the mflenses fb page
I can't find the thread on the forum but here are my test http://www.telltale.it/experiment-with-the-cork-bokeh/

Or of course, any mirror lens will give you ring bokeh for free. Most people seem to dislike it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
Rick1779 wrote:
vanylapep wrote:

Or of course, any mirror lens will give you ring bokeh for free. Most people seem to dislike it.

Depend from part of the world in Asia mirror lenses are sought after due ring bokeh, you can include me too, cork is a good solution and available for shorter focal length too. I love my mirror lenses Minolta, Rubinar short ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course with software you can be as artistic as you desire,try flamingpear.com.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
vanylapep wrote:

A cork works best for super tele. Use this method with short focal length lens.
http://iamseekelvin.blogspot.com/2008/08/blog-post_30.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinon 55mm F1.7 (leather grip version some samples on my site)
http://digital-darkroom.weebly.com/chinon-55mm-f17.html
The last photos of the crocuses are from the newer K mount version of the lens

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do the cork trick - the cork or whatever you use has a small hole in the middle ? And does it need to be down on the front element, or behind it as in the Japanese modification ?

I tried a disc of black sticky tape on an old UV filter and the results were crap, but I didn't didn't persist. Maybe I'll have another go tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the lens that produced this photo count as an artistic one?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: What are some amazing artistic lens? Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
.. so I'm asking your help for lens recommendation that could help me take weird (artistic) photos...

Did you try lensbaby, monocle? A petzval lens may be... factory or hand made.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide angle auxiliary lens with a reversed front element:

Just find one that fits your favorite lens and reverse the front element.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use and abuse of a split field lens can be an artistic source

Also a video using split field ( not mine)

http://vimeo.com/groups/33332/videos/24358873

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Cyclop 85/1.5 (became expensive)
-Helios 40/1.5 (expensive)
-Trioplan 100/2.8 (became expensive)
-Fujian 35mm F1.7 C-Mount (very cheap but works only on NEX/ILCE or µFT)
-Sony- or Minolta 135/2.8 STF (expensive, but extraordinary almost like synthetic ultra smooth bokeh)
-Any Mirror lens with macro/close up abbilites (hard to use but especially when used for macro on large spiders etc. with highlight in background it can deliver an awesome look)
-Any fixed focal length lens with removed, flipped etc. glas element (for example for Helios 44 there are several DIY mods, but generally it works with every prime lens)
-Any tele lens with an UV-Filter+Vaseline in front of it (giving some vintage-like glow and with more vaseline it's very similar to imho generally overpriced softfocus lenses)
-Helios 44-2 58/2 or CZJ Biotar 58/2 if used correctly (cheap, swirly background, vintage look)
-There are several interresting effect filters like the split lens mentioned above
-A transparent string of rubber etc. in front of a lens gives nice Anamorphic-lens-like (cinema movie lens like) flare effects
-Or of course you could directly use Anamorphic lenses Smile

There many more. Even a Domiplan or similar lenses (crappier is often better here) could be used for artistic effects etc.,.. Also slide projector lenses etc. can be used and many of them are producing special look (often beeing Petzval-like, Diaplan-like etc. design) but most of the are damn hard to adapt nicely.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kido wrote:

Holy hell, yes!! What lens is that?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kida wrote:

Well, the result counts IMO; wether the les is special or not, the photographer made something special!
Fine picture.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Minolfan. Btw, people who suggested post processing, i hope you're being sacaratic because i would call that cheating Razz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaseline on filter is the Bob Guccione 1970's Penthouse magazine solution.
Great for ladies portraits! And perhaps other sorts of "artistic" work, if one does not want to use modern systems to make humans more ideal.
As for artistic lenses, you can add Zeiss Biotar 75/1.5 (much too expensive, only lucky characters like me have them from when they were cheap)
This also has swirly bokeh, and Meyer Primoplan 58/1.9 (also much too expensive for what it is) which is semi soft focus with good bokeh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Holy hell, yes!! What lens is that?

It's a $15 Sears 135mm f/2.8 with "Macro Zone". There are a few different Sears 135mm, the one you want is the made in Korea f/2.8 with knurled ring at the front. I have no idea who was the original maker.

I haven't taken any photos of this lens yet, but you can see it here:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sears-135mm-f-2-8-macro-zone.html

The error that people sometimes commit while reviewing this Sears is, they seriously believe that rotating the macro ring will magically turn a normal lens into macro.

The reality is this: when you shoot with this lens at normal setting it's really decent and sharp, even wide open. Probably not the best 135mm out there, but a pleasure to use with nice rendering and the kind of bokeh that appeals to me.

However, when you rotate the knurled ring and set it to one of the 3 "macro zone" settings, magic starts happening. The further you turn the ring, the more "magic" you get Smile

You get a beautiful glow and certain softness to the image while preserving quite a lot of detail, similar to soft-focus lenses. Strange things happen to light and bokeh circles get magnified (the picture I posted wasn't cropped).

The lens really invites to do some creative work. Of course the "macro zone" has nothing, or not much to do with macro since all you get is a closer focusing distance and you loose the infinity. In my opinion it should be called something like "Bonkers Zone" because with the picture you are getting, all the macro/close focus thing is pretty much irrelevant. It really puts a smile on your face, just walking with the live-view on and looking at things through the eyes of crazy Wink

It's also great for shooting unusual portraits. Not only it enables you to get some special results, but taking advantage of the softness you can use it to diminish some skin blemishes without PP.

In all fairness I haven't got to use it that much yet, but enough to know its potential. When I read that you were looking for an artsy lens, I thought it may just be the tool you want. I went outside, found some weed and shot a few pictures against the sun setting behind some tall trees. The photo I uploaded is one of them (hand-held, 1/160, f/2.8, ISO100, max "macro" setting).

If I was able to achieve it just like that, imagine what's possible with some effort and skill Smile Searching the web you will find some great examples.

Minolfan wrote:
Well, the result counts IMO; wether the les is special or not, the photographer made something special!
Fine picture.

Thank you. I agree that the result is the final goal, yet in this case, the lens was crucial for achieving it so I guess we worked well together Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weed indeed, does help Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very similar Sigma 135 and 200mm lenses like that with separate "macro" rings.
I have one of the 200mm.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kido wrote:
However, when you rotate the knurled ring and set it to one of the 3 "macro zone" settings, magic starts happening. The further you turn the ring, the more "magic" you get Smile

You get a beautiful glow and certain softness to the image while preserving quite a lot of detail, similar to soft-focus lenses. Strange things happen to light and bokeh circles get magnified (the picture I posted wasn't cropped)...

Like luisalegria I think this is quite the same like with the Sigma YS 135mm lenses.
The "soft focus" feature of this is spherical aberration undercorrection. With a modification you also get over corrected spherical aberration - like the Meyer Trioplan 100. It works a bit like the great Nikon Defocus Control lenses!
Even more bokeh magic!