Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what 55mm you suggest?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurdie wrote:
I also have an excellent Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 which I used twenty years as my only "normal" prime.

I sold mine just a month ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 55mm ok , but on which camera ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
A 55mm ok , but on which camera ?

-- V -- Kodak SLR/c (=Canon EF)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had experience with Rikenon 55/1.4, Porst 55/1.4, Fujinon 55/1.8, and Cosina 55/1.2.
Kept the Cosina 55/1.2 and sold all the others. I use the smc takumar 50/1.4 mostly though.
But out of the three that I sold, I like the Fujinon the most, Rikenon is very good but just personal taste I like Fuji colors more. Porst was good as well but had the most purple fringing from my copy so, still nothing major. Honestly most 50ish mm prime lenses are excellent anyways.

Last edited by bruzzo on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruzzo wrote:
r. Honestly most 50ish mm prime lenses are excellent anyways.

Agreed
OH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your budget like?

Of the 55mms that I own and/or have used, I can recommend the following:

Super Multi Coated Takumar 55mm f/2: Excellent sharpness/contrast and relatively cheap.

Canon FL 55mm f/1.2: Also excellent, even wide open. Easy to convert to Canon EOS mount with a M42-EOS adapter. Moderately priced.

Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 SSC. Essentially the same optical performance as the FL, perhaps a bit better because of the improved coatings. Also easy to convert using the M42-EOS adapter. Somewhat pricey.

Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 SSC Aspherical. The best 55mm that Canon has ever produced, a superb lens. I don't know if the M42-EOS adapter can be used, but probably so. Very pricey.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
What's your budget like?

100 euros max. Preferably 50 but not many choices in that range. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am selling a Rollei HTF Planar with m42 mouth on ebay right know. It's sharp wide open......
a little stiff iin focusing

[url] http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251878146480?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the best 50mm for a low price is Pentacon mc 50mm f1.8.You may med too try a couple to find a good one but then if you gotten a god one and stopped it down one click to about f2.2 I think it is.Then it's as sharp and contrasty as anything att least in the center......
I know that many will not agree because of brand snobbery but none of the 4 Pancolars,C/y Planar ,Rollei Planar mm mm I've tried are better or even A's good as the Pentacon att that apenture.It's close focusing and it's cheap and that's fun...... Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Canon FL 55mm f/1.2: Also excellent, even wide open. Easy to convert to Canon EOS mount with a M42-EOS adapter. Moderately priced.

Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 SSC. Essentially the same optical performance as the FL, perhaps a bit better because of the improved coatings. Also easy to convert using the M42-EOS adapter. Somewhat pricey.

Canon FD 55mm f/1.2 SSC Aspherical. The best 55mm that Canon has ever produced, a superb lens. I don't know if the M42-EOS adapter can be used, but probably so. Very pricey.
FYI, These are not M42 lenses..

The Canon FD/FL lenses are *not* easy to convert to EOS unless you want an adapter with optics.. Canon did make a vintage FD converter with great optics but is extremely rare these days and when does one comes up on auction occasionally it's super pricey.. Ideally a mount conversion for these lenses is needed to work properly on EOS..

--mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, obviously they are not M42 lenses, they are Canon FD and FL mount lenses. And I think you'll find that these lenses can be adapted to EOS mount without much difficulty. The ones I've tried are the earlier breechlock style, and not the later nFD style. You'll also note that the only lenses I recommended were these earlier ones. They can be non-destructively modified to accept an M42-EOS adapter quite easily. After you remove the FD or FL lens's breechlock ring, the M42 adapter will drop down neatly to encircle the rear element mount. All that needs to be done is to thin the flat plate of the M42 adapter by a given amount (I don't know the exact number, I have the calcs stored somewhere, but it necessitates removing about 0.020" or so) and then to drill countersunk holes into the M42 adapter that coincide to mounting holes in the back of the lens -- I believe there are three of them. This is one of the easiest FD-EOS conversions that I'm aware of -- if you have a way of thinning the M42's flat plate, that is, which I do.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
I like the Nikkor Auto S.C 55mm f1.2 very much.

Else, you have the Fujinon 55mm f1.8 and the Super Takumar 55mm f1.8.

Also, you could consider the very good Helios 44-2 58mm f2.

What do you think about the performance of the 55 1.2? Got any samples?