Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what 24mm lens for a Sony Nex camera ??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: what 24mm lens for a Sony Nex camera ?? Reply with quote

Hello, i am looking for a good 24mm wide angle lens for my Sony Nex-5 camera.
Is the 24/2.8 Rokkor-x one of the best lenses? (I have a Minolta 4/3 adapter)

Thanks.
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma SuperWide II 24/2.8 is the best bang for the buck.

http://www.photodo.com/lens/Sigma-MF-24mm-f28-429/reviews[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku: how does the First version of the Sigma compares with the second version and with Nikkor 2.8/24?
Which one is best?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to find bad 24mm lens and I never seen less than excellent from well known makers like Nikon,Konica , Minolta,Olympus etc usually third party lenses are good too like Sigma, Hoya, Kiron , Yashica .
Best ones what I did try personally Nikon, Yashica ML, Konica, Olympus all are same , excellent. My Tamron 24mm was only pretty crap what I did try. I did like Kiron , Vivitar lenses as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Riku: how does the First version of the Sigma compares with the second version and with Nikkor 2.8/24?
Which one is best?

No idea, haven't tried them. I can only say that the Sigma SuperWide II 24/2.8 is a lot better than SMC Pentax 24/2.8. Sigma is sharp at any aperture, from corner to corner on APS-C sensor. The only negative thing is noticeable barrel distortion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Hard to find bad 24mm lens and I never seen less than excellent from well known makers like Nikon,Konica , Minolta,Olympus etc usually third party lenses are good too like Sigma, Hoya, Kiron , Yashica .
Best ones what I did try personally Nikon, Yashica ML, Konica, Olympus all are same , excellent. My Tamron 24mm was only pretty crap what I did try. I did like Kiron , Vivitar lenses as well.

The nex sensor can be picky, and I'm not so sure this is correct anymore---no bad 24s for the nex. I chased and finally found the legendary canon 24/2, which by reputation is one of the best 24s ever made, yet:

this at f/8; check full for CA:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7177/6814299190_ca94b47b7c_o.jpg

also note edges--not as crisp as center--this from focus directly in center--i should have check the corner focus. What do you think?

So my comment would be, 1) 24 is not WA on nex, Smile and 2) focus carefully and check for CA etc.

I would consider the nikon 24/2.8

best 24? Outdoors:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586192-REG/Leica_11648_Wide_Angle_24mm_f_3_8.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Hard to find bad 24mm lens

I find one
http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-elmarit-24-vs-tamron-t4955.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma 2.8/24 is only okay, performs not bad but you can find much better 24mms.

Cimko made 2.8/24 is better, you see it in many brands, Tefnon, Ensinor, Clubman and others.

Konica Hexanon 2.8/24 is a stunning lens is you can find one, has a good deal of 3D and is tack sharp at all apertures.

Hoya (Tokina) 2.8/24 is excellent too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rate my Nikon 24/2.8 ais as the best I own, although I've still to test the (slightly longer) Carl Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8. I found the Hoya (Tokina) 24/2.8 to be OK, but the Tamron Adaptall-2 24/2.5 was a bit better. Both were easily beaten by the Nikkor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Sony NEX users testimonies with 24mm are welcome!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see a size comparison of a few incl. their resp. NEX adapter:

to see which lenses exactly these are see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/6694624903/

This photo is to show that for total size the size of the lens is more crucial than the length of the adapter
Tested the lenses shown for sharpness and they are all pretty much at par in center, the OM stood out quite decidedly with superior corner sharpness specially at open apertures. The OM also is the smallest, if you get one look for later versions, either saying "Zuiko MC Auto-W" or "Zuiko Auto-W", not the one which says "H-Zuiko Auto-W" ( my copy ) because of inferior coating it seems to loose contrast and flare more easily than the others ( when light is coming from the front )

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
Sigma SuperWide II 24/2.8 is the best bang for the buck.

http://www.photodo.com/lens/Sigma-MF-24mm-f28-429/reviews[/img]

Well I would agree with you, maybe the reason why some don't like this lens could be that there may be more variations in manufacturing quality compared to say Canon, Nikon, Olympus etc....just a guess by me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noted some size comparisons here. one of my personal issues with the nex system is the lack of balance between the tiny camera and lenses used on it. to this end, i recommend the cv skopar 25/4. it is very highly rated, supposedly as good as the leica at a third the price and half the size. i have and enjoy mine both digitally (on m4/3) and film. it is tiny tiny tiny, but with very good resolution, color and contrast. on digital there is no visible distortion. it would both perform well and not look freakish on the nex.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Attila wrote:
Hard to find bad 24mm lens

I find one
http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-elmarit-24-vs-tamron-t4955.html

Tamron was bad to me also I did mention it, but some people did report positive experience about it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. The tamron 2.5/24 I have is a really good lens wich I like a lot on my NEX.
Today I got another 24mm wich has surprised me in the first shots: Pentax-110 2.8/24. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this ( somewhat difficult to navigate but quite complete ) test certainly makes a case for the OM and also the Sigma Super Wide II:
http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/24mmcup/index.html
the final round: http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/24mmcup/final/24mm_final1.html

rbelyell because of their small size rangefinder lenses of course make a great fit on a NEX, for this reason I bought a small selection of Pen-F halfframe lenses. This may be controversial, and I have not read anyone saying this before, but I dare say that I prefer how the camera fits into my hand, rests on my left palm with a Takumar or Pentax K lens mounted as compared with a small Pen-F lens, that I find the handling of the lens itself easier and that I like how the set balances right around the adapter. Nevertheless I sure also like the small package the small lenses make.

LucisPictor wrote:
...Today I got another 24mm wich has surprised me in the first shots: Pentax-110 2.8/24. Wink

it's soo tiny, check this out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dull_life/6830283534/
and from what I gather it is a very very sharp lens! I look very much forward your report Carsten, specially want to know if it vignettes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, comfort, size etc is subjective. i guess what i personally find hard to reconcile is that the main positive feature of mirrorless cameras and main reason for their popularity is their compact size compared to large dslrs. i then find it puzzeling why the thought is to team them with large, heavy dslr lenes, thus negating the very feature that sets these cameras apart.

again, this is personal, but if the thought is 'i hate lugging around heavy equipment', or 'big camera outfits upset the public and i need something less obtrusive', what is the logic of using large lenses on small cams? especially if using small rf etc lenses do not loose you any IQ? certainly, i dont think any of the slr lenses mentioned could noticeably, if at all, outperform my little skopar! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew this would be controversial.. Wink
I agree, but nevertheless the Pentax K and Takumar primes I use roughly only weigh between 50 and 100 grms more than my corresponding Pen-F lenses, both incl. their adapter, but my NEX weighs roughly 250 grms (?) less than my, for a dSLR rel. small and lightweight, Pentax K-x with the same lens mounted ( difference of weight of cameras incl battery is 311 grms, don't know the weight of my K>NEX adapter ) and the NEX certainly is much, much smaller!

your Skopar must be great for sure Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no, i really dont mean to be contaversial. we all have lenses we love, and i can understand wanting to use them in different contexts, even if theyre large and the camera is small. what i dont really uderstand though, is we have so many of these threads asking for lens advice on one or another mirrorless cam, and hardly anyone ever recommends a rf or other small but high quality lens. and when someone does, like here, its basically ignored. i know we have great photographers on this forum who swear by rf lens quality...where are you?! and its not that, in recommending a lens like this that one has to recommend the $2500 leica elmarit. there are plenty of 'reasonably' priced excellent lenses like the skopar. i guess all i'm saying is as a class, to pair with small cams, more thought and discussion should gear that way, and that it doesnt is confusing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot with most 24s that could be adapted to full frame Canon's.

My favorite were the last version multicoated Olympus 24/2.8. I've not used one on a NEX so I can't comment on it's quality.

The FredMiranda.com forum post in the alternative gear section; http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/969329/0

shows the Sigma Close focus is good in the center with good color moderate contrast and great/interesting bokeh.
the FD 24/2 is pretty great as well.
the rokkor MD 24/2.8 is a top notch lens as well

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% agreed rbelyell, actually I have been wondering why there has not been any recommendation of a rangefinder lens and have been hoping, for the very reasons you state, that someone will come up with one, thank you for that! ( and therefore I should not have made my personal observation in this thread, of all places Wink )

Last edited by kuuan on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think that I wanted a full frame DSLR. After using Sony NEX I haven't even considered buying something like the Canon 5Dc (probably the only FF camera I could afford). But NEX won't go into pocket anyway, so the size of the lens doesn't really matter unless it feels unbalanced with the camera like some fast lenses or lenses over 135mm do. To me small camera is just so much more comfortable. The only thing NEX lacks is the shake reduction...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
I used to think that I wanted a full frame DSLR. After using Sony NEX I haven't even considered buying something like the Canon 5Dc (probably the only FF camera I could afford). But NEX won't go into pocket anyway, so the size of the lens doesn't really matter unless it feels unbalanced with the camera like some fast lenses or lenses over 135mm do. To me small camera is just so much more comfortable. The only thing NEX lacks is the shake reduction...

well riku, if you dont care about size, i personally loved the FF 5d experience. imo, it is wonderful to be able to shoot wonderful mf lenses at the FL they were made for, WA, portrait, all were more 'correct'. i changed for numerous reasons related to bulk.

as for IS, pick up the new olly om-d e-5 when it comes out next month. it will be groundbreaking in many respects, but all ollys have IBIS, which, imo, together with evf, are critical to success in mirrorless world.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
100% agreed rbelyell, actually I have been wondering why there has not been any recommendation of a rangefinder lens and have been hoping, for the very reasons you state, that someone will come up with one, thank you for that! ( and therefore I should not have made my personal observation in this thread, of all places Wink )

Best value is the CV 25/4 which can be found for 300USD. Superb landscape lens, tiny.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/25mm/pool/with/386936696/

The ZM25/2.8 is good but not great on the nex.

The Pen F 25/2.8 has super sharp centers, but spherical aberation means not everything can be in focus Sad

Here is what it looks like on the n5

The rokkor OP mentioned is supposed to be good.