Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what 24mm lens for a Sony Nex camera ??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FD SSC 24/2.8 is nice.Smile & re: why no RF recommendations? It's hard to find a RF 24 of any speed that costs less than $300 Vs. the $125 I paid for my FD.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my canon fd 24/1.4 L. Currently playing with it. It might be the best 24 made.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
FD SSC 24/2.8 is nice.:) & re: why no RF recommendations? It's hard to find a RF 24 of any speed that costs less than $300 Vs. the $125 I paid for my FD.

+1
Rf lenses are very expensive and other than the smaller size seem to offer nothing else in terms of benefits.
I recently toyed with the idea of getting a CV voigtlander 25mm and almost bought one but ended up getting a nice Minolta 24mm f2.8 MD at a reasonable price (£70) and certainly haven't regretted it.

Its the later, smaller 49mm filter threaded version which apparently isn't quite as good as the earlier, more expensive 55mm thread version. All I can say is that the earlier version must be bloody stunning as Ive been blown away by my 24's IQ, it very sharp at all apertures, no distortion, no significant CA, lovely colour and contrast and only a little bit bigger than the Nexs kit lens with the adaptor.

This is how it looks & performs on the Nex

Nex-5n and Minolta MD 24mm f2.8 (Size comparison) by *johnboy*, on Flickr

Finally, blue skys and sun! by *johnboy*, on Flickr

So tired... by *johnboy*, on Flickr

Bench sale by *johnboy*, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful shots on the minolta!

question, someone mentioned the zeiss zm 25/2.8 but said it wasnt good on nex. why is that? how is it generally? its a $1200 zeiss, i wouldve expected nothing short of excellence...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
beautiful shots on the minolta!

question, someone mentioned the zeiss zm 25/2.8 but said it wasnt good on nex. why is that? how is it generally? its a $1200 zeiss, i wouldve expected nothing short of excellence...

I said good but not great.

On film the lens is spectacular, and the mtf charts show it the sharpest of all the zms--if I'm not mistaken.

How a lens performs on film and how it performs on one version of the nex sensor or another, esp 40 and wider is a case by case matter. The zm25 is sharper than the sony 24/1.8 for infinity landscape shots. But it does not stand out on the nex as it does on film---many have tried it.

As to the benifits of RF vs SLR, I used to think it was only a matter of size. The zm25 is a case in point. On film there is no SLR 24/25 which out-performs it.

And the best outdoor 24 is widely agreed to be the ELMAR ASPH, another RF lens.

But, as noted above, there's many good SLR 24/2.8s which are cheap and perfectly fine. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you. thats too bad about zeiss 25 not performing optimally on nex. any thoughts about it on m4/3?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
thank you. thats too bad about zeiss 25 not performing optimally on nex. any thoughts about it on m4/3?

In general RF wides perform on m4/3 even worse than on NEX, not to mention that they are not as wide anymore. m4/3 is a good platform for SLR lenses starting from 28mm and longer and for RF lenses starting from 40mm and longer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three 24mm lenses that I use with NEX5. A Cosina 24/2.8, Vivitar 24/2 and a Yashica 24/2.8. They are all quite good. Vivitar is soft wide open but stopped down it performs quite well, but it is quite heavy and big. Cosina is quite light and small and performs well with good colour rendering. I haven't used Yashica that much so can't comment on it right now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the Yashica will blow the other two away mate, look forward to seeing your results when you do try it!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

LucisPictor wrote:
...Today I got another 24mm wich has surprised me in the first shots: Pentax-110 2.8/24. Wink

it's soo tiny, check this out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dull_life/6830283534/
and from what I gather it is a very very sharp lens! I look very much forward your report Carsten, specially want to know if it vignettes.

>> First impressions: http://forum.mflenses.com/24mm-24mm-t48110.html