Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Walk in Parma: Retro 100 Tonal, Zeiss Ikon, Snapshot-Skopar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Walk in Parma: Retro 100 Tonal, Zeiss Ikon, Snapshot-Skopar Reply with quote

Zeiss Ikon camera, Voigtländer Snapshot-Skopar 4/25 lens,
Rollei Retro 100 Tonal film processed with TMax developer (2nd go) and scanned with Reflecta ProScan 7200:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orio, these have a lovely tonal range, and much more contrat than ive ever gotten from this film. i absolutely love the first one.
tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tony, the experience with this first roll tells me that it's not an easy film to handle. It loses blacks very soon (all B&W films do, but this one more),
and with underexposure in the shadows grain becomes intrusive.
With bright exposure, grain is very moderate. So I think this film is not probably a real ISO 100, but something like maybe an ISO 64.
I need to test again with a fresh developer, in this case I used a T-Max developer remains from the development of another roll,
I applied the extra minute recommended by Kodak but the film did not react very well, it probably would have needed half minute further more.
Only the poses that were overexposed reacted very well.
Next roll I will use the Gradual developer, which is the best developer in my opinion for developing a wide range of tones.

One thing I do not like of this film is the extreme thinness of the support. It got caught in the spiral when loading and one frame was damaged since the film got a wrinkle.
Did you experience a similar problem, and would you think that the use of a hardening fixer may help?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sorry orio, but i do not develop my own film, i send it out.

my experience with this film is i find it very low contrast, which is not my cup of tea. i also found its tonal range limited. thats why i commented on your results, because they were much better than mine. perhaps its because you home develop. perhaps its because you just take better pictures!
tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i'm sorry orio, but i do not develop my own film, i send it out.
my experience with this film is i find it very low contrast, which is not my cup of tea. i also found its tonal range limited. thats why i commented on your results, because they were much better than mine. perhaps its because you home develop. perhaps its because you just take better pictures!
tony

It's definitely because I home develop. Labs put every film in a cauldron. Especially for B&W this is a disaster because while C41 and E6 are processes that are engineered
to be as standardized as possible (and therefore provide reasonably predictable results in all labs), B&W is the opposite, it is born to be customized
and every B&W film needs it's own treatment and some even their own chemicals.
I'm sure that Retro 100 Tonal can be developed optimally, but everyone must find his own formula by experimenting.