Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander Septon 50mm F2.0 does flower on Sony A7RII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Voigtlander Septon 50mm F2.0 does flower on Sony A7RII Reply with quote

Septons are prone separation. I waited for sometime to get clean copy without separation. After owning all the other three 50/1.9 and 50/2.0 in the Retina mount, I can say this is the best corrected lens among all the four lenses. This is a lens I think worth to buy for those who like the DKL lenses. Contrast is first class among the 50-55mm F1.9-F2.0 lenses I have tried produced in the same period.

Apart from exposure adjustment, no other edit is done to the photos. I applied the same profile to all the photos below.

Click the photos to enlarge:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a wonderful lens for portraits also, excellent built, probably a pain to repair , even though I cannot imagine a septon with stiff focus ,maybe neither oily blades ,i might be wrong though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
It's a wonderful lens for portraits also, excellent built, probably a pain to repair , even though I cannot imagine a septon with stiff focus ,maybe neither oily blades ,i might be wrong though.

My copy has stiff focus but no oily blades. I leave it as it as I use helicoid to do the focusing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're using a m42 helical to Sony and a dkl -m42? What thickness is the hellicoid? I might need this option to use the dynarex 135mm as it's mfd pretty high around 4m if I remember correctly, but it gives nice tones though. Never tried it on portraits because of that long mfd and I wonder what should I expect from it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
So you're using a m42 helical to Sony and a dkl -m42? What thickness is the hellicoid? I might need this option to use the dynarex 135mm as it's mfd pretty high around 4m if I remember correctly, but it gives nice tones though. Never tried it on portraits because of that long mfd and I wonder what should I expect from it

Yes. I use Yeenon DLK to M42 adapter +Yeenon M42-NEX helicoid. When the helicoid is retracted, it has the same thickness as an ordinary M42-NEX adapter.

I expect the Dynarex 135mm on portrait distance should perfom well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice rendering, thanks for showing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I might need this option to use the dynarex 135mm as it's mfd pretty high around 4m if I remember correctly, but it gives nice tones though. Never tried it on portraits because of that long mfd and I wonder what should I expect from it

Definitely get some sort of extension capability if you're going to use the Super Dynarex 135. It's a good lens, and it should work well for portraits, but that 4m minimum focus is completely unacceptable.

I also use a DKL-M42 adapter attached to an M42-FX adapter with a helicoid. With the helicoid fully extended the minimum focus distance drops down to just under 1m, which is perfectly sane and usable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin your images look very neat and pretty surreal colourwise, taking into account the age of the lens. I suggest, the puzzling effect comes from a combination of the "vintage" bokeh and of the "clinically" modern colour and sharpness. Such a mix is amazing and almost disturbing! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
kiddo wrote:
I might need this option to use the dynarex 135mm as it's mfd pretty high around 4m if I remember correctly, but it gives nice tones though. Never tried it on portraits because of that long mfd and I wonder what should I expect from it

Definitely get some sort of extension capability if you're going to use the Super Dynarex 135. It's a good lens, and it should work well for portraits, but that 4m minimum focus is completely unacceptable.

I also use a DKL-M42 adapter attached to an M42-FX adapter with a helicoid. With the helicoid fully extended the minimum focus distance drops down to just under 1m, which is perfectly sane and usable.

Like almost teles of the past, the minimun focus of 4 m were reduced with the "portrait" filter, focused from 2 to 4 m (near 0,25 diop).
With it, the close focus and wide open had good center colours and sharpness with very soft corners.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Voigtlander Septon 50mm F2.0 does flower on Sony A7RII Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Septons are prone separation. I waited for sometime to get clean copy without separation. After owning all the other three 50/1.9 and 50/2.0 in the Retina mount, I can say this is the best corrected lens among all the four lenses. This is a lens I think worth to buy for those who like the DKL lenses. Contrast is first class among the 50-55mm F1.9-F2.0 lenses I have tried produced in the same period.

Apart from exposure adjustment, no other edit is done to the photos. I applied the same profile to all the photos below.

Click the photos to enlarge:

The septon had the same formula than Planar 80/2,8 made for Hasselblad 500 line.

When Voigtlander made the Icarex (under Zeiss ) changed the septon with the newer and better Zeiss Ultron 50/1,8 designed and made by Voigtlander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Voigtlander Septon 50mm F2.0 does flower on Sony A7RII Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

Thank you!

alex ph wrote:
Calvin your images look very neat and pretty surreal colourwise, taking into account the age of the lens. I suggest, the puzzling effect comes from a combination of the "vintage" bokeh and of the "clinically" modern colour and sharpness. Such a mix is amazing and almost disturbing! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much! This is exactly what i thought. The advancement of camera technology enable us to further push the potential of vintage lenses.

papasito wrote:

The septon had the same formula than Planar 80/2,8 made for Hasselblad 500 line.

When Voigtlander made the Icarex (under Zeiss ) changed the septon with the newer and better Zeiss Ultron 50/1,8 designed and made by Voigtlander

Yes. They share a very similar design.

I have the Ultron too. Both are first class lens of its time.
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-ultron-50mm-f1-8-on-a7r-ii-t78317,highlight,%2Bultron.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Voigtlander Septon 50mm F2.0 does flower on Sony A7RII Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Thank you!

alex ph wrote:

Thank you very much! This is exactly what i thought. The advancement of camera technology enable us to further push the potential of vintage lenses.

papasito wrote:

http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-ultron-50mm-f1-8-on-a7r-ii-t78317,highlight,%2Bultron.html

In my experience, the Zeiss Ultron 50/1,8 is (with the Kern macro switar 50/1,9 for Alpa) one of the very best 50 mm lenses .

It's rendering wide open is close to my Sony 50/1,2 GM.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Voigtlander Septon 50mm F2.0 does flower on Sony A7RII Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Thank you!

alex ph wrote:

papasito wrote:

In my experience, the Zeiss Ultron 50/1,8 is (with the Kern macro switar 50/1,9 for Alpa) one of the very best 50 mm lenses .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Voigtlander Septon 50mm F2.0 does flower on Sony A7RII Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Thank you!

alex ph wrote:

papasito wrote:

I would like to have the F1.9 version too but it is out of my budget. The switar 1.8 does have more vintage feel which I like. May be one day i will get a F1.9 if i have some spare luck.
http://forum.mflenses.com/kern-macro-switar-50mm-f1-8-ar-on-a7r-ii-t79052,highlight,%2Bswitar.html

BTW, I am testing a copy of Leica R 50/1.4 E60 version. It seems it has some character comparable to the lenses above.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tested the Septon 50 on the GFX? I'd be interested in that result.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh of #6 is splendid!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old italian member, Orio, made a complete review of the septon, years ago.

Very nice work in some ítems of the lens.

I can't find it now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

Not yet. I have to finish the testes the Leica R lenses before moving to other lenses. If you are asking about the coverage, then it should be no problem according to the data from spiral https://spiral-m42.blogspot.com/p/list-of-35mm-lenses-that-do-not.html .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

Not yet. I have to finish the testes the Leica R lenses before moving to other lenses. If you are asking about the coverage, then it should be no problem according to the data from spiral https://spiral-m42.blogspot.com/p/list-of-35mm-lenses-that-do-not.html .

caspert79 wrote:
Bokeh of #6 is splendid!

I like that too.

papasito wrote:
An old italian member, Orio, made a complete review of the septon, years ago.

Very nice work in some ítems of the lens.

I can't find it now.

The thread is here but the photos were lost.
http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlaender-septon-2-50-for-bessamatic-review-t33501,highlight,%2Bsepton.html