Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 VMC Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 VMC Macro Reply with quote

I bought this lens after a little bit "provoked" by woodrim in this thread .... Smile

http://forum.mflenses.com/an-85mm-question-t40472,start,15.html

I searched on eBay and none showed up.
But few weeks later one item showed up and I bought it immediately.
But I did a big big mistake. I didn't check the lens mount. It's in Minolta mount while I use Canon DSLR. I thought that this Vivitar should be in EOS-friendly mount like Nikon, Pentax, etc. Big mistake.

Though I've converted 3 Minolta mount lens before but somehow I didn't have a heart to modify this one. It's in a very mint condition. So I searched any alternative way to use this lens, and got some suggestions in this thread :

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-2x-macro-focusing-teleconverter-t40765,start,45.html

I tried the Rollei mount but it was too loose and unsecured. So I decided to sell this lens. I hope one of local Minolta users will be the new master of this lens Smile
But before that I wanted to try this lens using Minolta-EOS adapter without optic, so it's like a thin extension tube.
And here is the result Smile

note: this time I used Canon 60D, Standard picture style with default settings, JPEG, and handheld.

Mostly at f8.

100% crop

Cropped a bit before resized ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the results, perhaps worth keeping solely as a macro lens?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

Thanks for the advice.
I've been thinking about it too Smile

One thing that a bit bother me is the lens is heavy and front heavy (a bit unbalanced on handling it).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess these mounts are troublesome for Canon users but I wonder how far can you focus by using a regular "no glass elements" adapter? I'm saying this because if you need a macro-dedicated lens you most certainly won't need infinity focus.

Love the water drops shot, so very sharp...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
I guess these mounts are troublesome for Canon users but I wonder how far can you focus by using a regular "no glass elements" adapter? I'm saying this because if you need a macro-dedicated lens you most certainly won't need infinity focus.

Love the water drops shot, so very sharp...

Thanks ChromaticAberration.

It's only about 1 meter max. So sadly I can not use it for portraiture (the reason I bought this lens in the first place).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get Sony NEX bro Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

+1 ... I have a Tamron 52B that i use only for macro, too, because its performances at long distances are simply bad ...

nixland wrote:
So sadly I can not use it for portraiture (the reason I bought this lens in the first place).

Do you really want to upset the first woman you will picture Wink ? You know that with such kind of lens your pictures will show all the faults of the skin ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
get Sony NEX bro Very Happy

I am still in love with full frame right now, and can not go back to crop sensor yet ... haha Smile

Second reason is, I just managed to stop my LBA (lens buying addiction) and in the stage of evaluating current lenses and selling the lenses I don't use much or lenses which are not my favorite. If I buy NEX I am afraid the LBA will be on again and worst .... imagine Leica-M, Konica, etc. etc. ... delicious food for my LBA, bad food for my pocket Very Happy

indianadinos wrote:
martyn_bannister wrote:

+1 ... I have a Tamron 52B that i use only for macro, too, because its performances at long distances are simply bad ...

nixland wrote:
So sadly I can not use it for portraiture (the reason I bought this lens in the first place).

Do you really want to upset the first woman you will picture Wink ? You know that with such kind of lens your pictures will show all the faults of the skin ...

Hahaha Smile
Well, for common people shot I might not use this lens for portrait, but for model shot with glamour make-up the lens sharpness is needed Smile

By the way at first I thought that this lens could have dual role as Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO Lanthar, which is a macro lens but good lens too for portrait Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the last B&W image. I think I have the same lens; Komine made? I have the Tamron 90 which is sharper wide open so I tend to use that more.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I like the last B&W image. I think I have the same lens; Komine made? I have the Tamron 90 which is sharper wide open so I tend to use that more.

Thanks Martin.

The serial number is 37xxxxxx, so it's Tokina made.
I had the Tamron 90/2.5 too. I hope I can do a comparison test before I sell the Vivitar Smile