Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

vivitar (kiron) 28mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: vivitar (kiron) 28mm f/2 Reply with quote

hello all...

i was hoping that some of you would have experince with the mentioned lens for nikon mount?

From what i read it should be pretty good, but i was hoping that some of you would have some experience with it.

Serdar

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

I had shorter it's shorter sister not bad lens at all but not reach Nikkor level that for sure.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/vivitar/vivitar_24mm_f2_kiron/

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one.

It is a very nice lens indeed. I will post samples soon. OK, maybe not a Nikkor or Zeiss, but it would not be easy to tell. Perfectly rectilinear, center is sharp as you could want at f/2, not really likely to flare, contrast, etc. all are good.

The BIG problem - these seem to be notorious for sticky aperture. Bill ( member casualcollector) has owned several and had lots of problems with them. Mine came cheap because it was also stuck. I have partially fixed it with lighter fluid, but its not perfect yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im glad to hear that, i did ask the seller about the oil but he said hed never had any problems with it. So im hoping i wont either Smile

how is the bokeh by the way?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

28mm lenses are not a bokeh champions I thinks particular lens is not an exception.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok..well seems to me that its not a widely used lens amongst u guys, so think ill buy it just in case others need advice on it Smile

thx for help

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had three Kiron 28/2 and one 28/2.8 pass through my hands in the past few decades. I bought a Canon FD version new and had the iris stop working twice in the first five years. I delayed getting it fixed the second time. Further details can be read here.

http://www.vermontel.net/~wsalati/CasualCollector/lenses.htm

The lens I bought new is pictured on the FTb and has been working fine since repair. The FD mount lens with the black breech lock ring next to the FTb was bought with a sluggish aperture and I've still not fixed it. The one mounted on the SRT was bought to experiment on. I got it working again and gave it to new forum member TomH. We haven't talked about it much since. I think he prefers his Rokkors. The 28/2.8 was acquired from the same shelf as the one on the SRT. It is Canon mount and appears to have been dunked. It's been subjected to several autopsies and experiments but will probably never work again as the actuators are corroded solid. I did get the iris working!

I'll echo Luis on the optical qualities of the lens. Easy to focus, I think a bit soft at f2 and a reputation for very, very low distortion at the edges. Look it over carefully before you buy. I think you'll like it.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one as well & had to have the "oily aperture" fixed...As with most lenses, it is a bit soft wide open but sharpens up nicely stopped down a couple of stops...While it won't match the Nikon wide open, it doesn't cost anywhere near as much either....Like the Nikkor , it has "floating " elements to focus better close up (like Nikon's CRC [close range correction] )

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott has it right. Mine has behaved and is very decent stopped down. I have not had the mechanical problems

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and it have good mechanic
check my and Sandie samples in this thread
http://forum.mflenses.com/kiron-282-mc-samples-t9657.html

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys...true about the price, the 28mm nikon costs to much compared to this one, i can get the kiron for about 25$.

Casual / luis: thx ill make sure and check it very well, though the seller claims it works perfect.

Scott: I didnt know it had floating elements, do u know what the min. focus distance is ?

poilu: Nice pics

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukselserdar,
It focuses down to .3 meters (1 foot)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a "Vivitar Auto Wide-Angle 28 / 2.5 - M42" ( http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/lensgallery/japanese/vivitar/vivitar/prime/vivitar_28mm_f2_5.jpg.html ).
It works mechanically perfect and produces a great picture-quality.
It is beneath my Carl Zeiss Pancolar 50 / 1.8 one of my daily-life-lenses.

Here are two photos taken with it:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro, good pictures, I like them. Very Happy

yukselserdar, I have one but sold out for my friend. It's ok in sharpness and contrast but I sold to collect money to buy Kiron 24/2 but I can't find it.

Last edited by KhanX on Fri May 08, 2009 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@KhanX:
Retro, good pictures, I like them.

Thanks very much! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautyful pictures.

well the more u guys write about it, the more im beginning to want it.
Been talking to seller, and ill receive it some time next week.
I can see it has minor flaws, but for the price it seems as a bargain.

thx for helping me out Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is without any doubt an excellent lens. My OM-mount Viv 2/28 is the not only the fastest but also the best 28mm lens I have and the reason why I do not look for another one. Wink