Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Auto-Wide-Angle f2 24mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Auto-Wide-Angle f2 24mm Reply with quote

I found this Vivitar2/24mm, made by Kino, in PK mount.
Most of the others i have seen online have a different denomination, with the engraving on the outside of the lens, instead of the "beauty ring".
The more common version is said to often have oily diaphragm blades and a hazy glass behind the iris.

Any infos/first-hand impressions about this lens?

Thanks

Paolo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the common Kino version and yes, do check the blades.
Its not that hard to fix the oily blades problem but it takes some patience.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Kiron branded version for a while and I was quite happy with it.

It's fairly prone to to flare and it's a bit soft wide open but it sharpens up very nicely when stopped down.
I posted a comparison with the Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9 over at pentaxforums.com, they also have a few user reviews over there.

Here are a few shots on film (Kodak BW400CN & Fuji Superia 400):

At f/2:

At f/8:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last photo is superb, the statue and the homeless guy is so powerful.

The lens is good as well.😀

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The last photo is superb, the statue and the homeless guy is so powerful.

Thanks. I'm not really happy with it myself, I wish I'd found a better way to show the surroundings.
I didn't feel comfortable using the poor guy as a prop, so I took a few quick snaps, tucked a 10€ note into one of the shoes and left.

That wall in the background is actually a wind sheltered corner in the ruins of St. Nicholas' Church in Hamburg:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Nicholas'_Church,_Hamburg (the apostrophe seems to screw up the link)

(source)

(source)

The church is now an anti-war memorial, most of the surrounding quarter was leveled during Operation Gomorrah, it's a rather symbolic place to find shelter in...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in knowing how the Kiron version compares to the Komine version...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Kiron lenses several times, they are good ones I never had others.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea about the optical payout?
For Vivitar 28mm lenses we have the "Bestiary", which a precious resource offered by an ordinary individual with no access to any kind of privileged source of informations.
Just patience, good will and dedication. Hats off for R. Parmar!
Unfortunately there is no online source dedicated to other Vivitar lenses... just the 70-210 Series 1 zooms, as far as i remember.
I'd like to know if the lens i've shown in my two pics is different from the other (probably later) version that was the subject of another thread on this forum:
http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-kiron-2-24mm-be-careful-t29844.html

This is the picture:

In the thread i linked this lens is said to be often affected by diaphragm problems, and one element seems to be made of a very soft optical glass, subject to degradation (possibly by humidity or lubricant degassing).
Also the 28mm f/2 versions (marked Vivitar or Kiron) are said to have a damaged/stuck iris most of the times. Not my experience, though. I have one, classified as K12 in the "Vivitar 28mm bestiary", that came with a perfectly working iris. I had to cut the diaphragm simulator lever cause in this lens the lever protrudes too much inside the camera body, getting in the way of the mirror. I knew it before buying, because the Bestiary, and a few forum threads, give all the relevant informations.

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiron used a grease that breaks down over time into an oily liquid and gums up the blades. It's very common with all Kiron lenses, sadly. I haven't had the 2/24 but I have had the 2/28 and 2/35, sold them because they had to be closed to f5.6 to reach the level of IQ I wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Kiron used a grease that breaks down over time into an oily liquid and gums up the blades. It's very common with all Kiron lenses, sadly. I haven't had the 2/24 but I have had the 2/28 and 2/35, sold them because they had to be closed to f5.6 to reach the level of IQ I wanted.

There is no 2/35mm Kiron. I had few 2/28mm and all were among top lenses regarding sharpness and contrast starting from wide open.
My 2/24mm had deteriorated element inside. Looked like haze but it was a material problem and cleaning just made it worst.

So cool, reminds me of Metropolis:

Boris_Akunin wrote:

At f/2:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
There is no 2/35mm Kiron.

Yes there is:

http://forum.mflenses.com/panagor-auto-wide-angle-f2-35mm-t41867.html

Pancolart wrote:
I had few 2/28mm and all were among top lenses regarding sharpness and contrast starting from wide open.

Not true, they are glowy and soft until stopped down, this is an opinion you will find repeated many times by users.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 35/2 with 55mm filter is the same lens as the Vivitar 35/1.9 which is made by Komine.