Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

vivitar 105/2.8 opinions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: vivitar 105/2.8 opinions? Reply with quote

i came across a viv 105/2.8 serial # starting w 37xxxx ('Auto Vivitar') and was wondering if its the same as the kiron 105/2.8 or just a piece of junk.

i had come across this older thread:
http://forum.mflenses.com/kiron-2-8-105-macro-life-size11-ratio-t9578,highlight,vivitar+105mm.html
that mentioned viv=kiron at serial # starting 22xxxxx, so was wondering if anyone knows anything about the one i'm interested in.

thanks!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a Tokina made Vivitar & is not in the same league as the the Kiron (which is a macro lens)....Likely not a bad performer, although I have no experience with this particular lens, I do have a Tokina made Vivitar 100mm F2.8 which gives nice results...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks scott--perhaps i should hold out for a super tak, it wont be that much more expensive, you think?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a Tokina-made lens, as Scott says.

I'm guessing its in a T4 mount as these tend to be, and dates to the early-mid 1970's.

This is mine -

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-tokina-t4-105-2-8-t9180,highlight,105.html

It should go cheap, pay no more than $30. It should go for much, much less than the Super Tak, which usually go for over $100 these days.

That said, its a very sharp lens wide open.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks luis, i was looking for a bargain in this lens; its about $45usd and i wanted to compare it to the kiron and tak in terms of IQ. certainly, your shots are very sharp and the lens seems to have a character in your photos, yes?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott is correct. It's not even in the same league as the Kiron 105 macro wonderlens.

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Tokina Kid would differ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramiller500 wrote:
Maybe the Tokina Kid would differ?

Nobody is saying that is a dog, a slouch. But, it is not in the same league as the legendary Kiron 105mm ƒ/2.8 macro lens. It most likely is a pretty good lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the T4 mount version, I recommend it (I have the Soligor version). Roughly on par with the SMC Takumar, with my samples. Of course it won't have the close focus or macro ability of those other lenses...