Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vitomatic IIIb
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Vitomatic IIIb Reply with quote

I can buy a voigtlander vitomatic III b. It's a rare cam that came with the ultron 2/50 lens.

Price? u$s 50 (something in the expnsive side, but with the ultron 2/50....).

I'm in the doubt. I want to have a rangefinder, and was looking for a newer than the 1963/6 voigtlander, but, again, that ultron 2/50......

I need your help, guys.

Thanks for reading it.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's me but I find $50 cheap. I have just bought a Vitessa with 50/2 Ultron for 75 euros. What do you think about that price?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rino, I would get it. Even with the cost of a CLA, it is still a steal.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get it. those are way cool cameras.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Maybe it's me but I find $50 cheap. I have just bought a Vitessa with 50/2 Ultron for 75 euros. What do you think about that price?

Hi Spotmatic.

In Argentina, u$s 50 = 200 pesos argentinos; E 75= 450 pesos argentinos.

The vitessa is another camera, different "in totum". I think that your vitessa is really a bargain.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo and fish4570.

Thanks guy, sure I will get it.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vitomatic is one of the best fixed-lens rangefinders ever made. For starters, it's small and incredibly well built. Then, it has great lenses (the Color Skopar or Ultron), and a Gossen-made lightmeter that you check from inside the viewfinder (and on top of the camera in the IIa). But its best feature is its incredibly bright 1:1 viewfinder with framelines: you can keep both your eyes open when shooting which makes framing a totally different thing from all other cameras.

Unfortunately, the viewfinder is also this camera's Achille's heels: it's made of several cemented lenses and prisms, and often shows separation. Be sure to check it before buying, as repairs are possible but not easy and involve separating the elements and recementing them.

That said, the IIIb is probably the rarest of all the Vitomatics and at that price is a great bargain. The Vitomatics are much better shooters than the Vitessas, I had both and while I sold the clunky, heavy, big Vitessa after one roll, I now have about 5 Vitomatics.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ludoo.

I have a vito CLR with selenium cell and skopar 2,8/50. When I used leica M, i went with both and was very fun take the same (or near the same) subject with the skopar and the summicron M 2/50. The pics with the skopar at F/2,8 I couldn't take with the leica except out of focus. It's difficult to beleave but at f/16 the skopar was equal or sharper than the summicron M.

I hope that the ultron will be a good shoter lens, like you say about vitomatic.

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I don't doubt for a moment that the Vitomatic is a better shooter than the Vitessa (a rigid lens is less prone to failure/lens and film plane issues). Still, I like the vitessa because I don't mind the weight, and also appreciate the small space it occupies in my bag.

(Yes Rino, I saw that topic on Rangefinderforum. The Ultron is a very fine lens, no doubt!)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, it's not that the Vitessa is a bad camera, it's a marvel of engineering. Smile My only point is it's a bit awkward in use, while the Vitomatic is probably the most comfortable camera to use I've tried.