Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

cameras m42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: cameras m42 Reply with quote

I sold some of my lenses (user non colection, but I don't mention this here).

Now I have CZJ Flek 4/20, 2,4/35, Pancolar 1,8/50 (2), 3,5/135-MC-, and a few more (jupiter-9, mamiya 135/2,8, sup.tak. 3,5/28, etc.)

I don't know if I did a good thing, but I did it.
My actuals lenses are chaper and then I will not afraid again for thiefs. In this way, I lost my leica m4 two month ago.

I will buy CZJ lenses and anothers cheaps lenses, no more (by now).

Which m42 cameras (2) are goods?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: cameras m42 Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
I sold some of my lenses (user non colection, but I don't mention this here).

Now I have CZJ Flek 4/20, 2,4/35, Pancolar 1,8/50 (2), 3,5/135-MC-, and a few more (jupiter-9, mamiya 135/2,8, sup.tak. 3,5/28, etc.)

I don't know if I did a good thing, but I did it.
My actuals lenses are chaper and then I will not afraid again for thiefs. In this way, I lost my leica m4 two month ago.

I will buy CZJ lenses and anothers cheaps lenses, no more (by now).

Film or digital?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.

I will use only B&W, and digital mode don't like me in this way.

I will use B&W with FILM.

Thanks and regards.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Sorry.

I will use only B&W, and digital mode don't like me in this way.

I will use B&W with FILM.

Thanks and regards.

What about a Spotmatic? It's a classic! Smile And from what I hear, built like tanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: cameras m42 Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

Ah, yes! Now what was that name again? Sp... something. Erm..... Confused

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bessamatic TM, but it's expensive (more than 200 Euros)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with any Asahi Pentax or Praktica, they are cheap and works fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very thanks for all, friends. Smile

Surely pentax and/or praktica will be my options.

Somebody tell me that the fujica 605, 801, 901 and AZ1 are fine too. (605 and az1 are small). What fujica for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Spotmatic's F and 1000 in M42 , but I own also a couple of chinon (cx) and cosina (hi-lite) , and Revueflex clones which are very strong built and have better viewfinders...Fujica's are little marvels but there is a common issue : receiver film spools are often broken ...
Praktica's are not perfect too , but are dirt cheap and can do a good job.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatics have rather dim viewfinders. Fuji cameras like the ST801 are well regarded by some. I used to use Minolta cameras and sometimes m42 lenses with an adapter - nice bright viewfinders. You could do the same with Pentax SLRs. No automatic aperture with the last two options though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Spotmatic 1000 and the Fuji ST605. The Fuji is smaller and not quite as well made, but I like it as the meter/stop down button is on the right side of the camera. Both work great. The Fuji has a split prism vf, if that's important.

I have in my possession a Practica PLC2 as well, which will be a gift to the brother in law. Nice camera too, only as it's made for the 'electric' lenses it isn't as convenient to use for ordinary M42 lenses.

The screw mount bodies with full aperture metering usually require specific lenses to do so, and may or may not be convenient to use with other lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely no problem to use with other M42 lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify: the PLC-2 works well with all M42's. However it does not have a stop-down metering switch like the Spotmatics and Fujis, for example. So to meter with a non-electric lens, you have to switch the lens itself from Auto to Manual, or use whatever stop down mechanism there is on the lens itself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic came up once before I will make my same suggestion. Although I love the Spotmatic. I would try and find a more modern camera that could be easily adapted. A Pentax ME super for example gives you an option to use K mount lenses as well as M42. Also you have AE for convenience if you desire it. The adapter can stay in the camera so you never would know the difference from a native mount M42. Well I guess maybe you would know if you had a lens without an auto/manual switch. There are many other cameras from Pentax. Also this same option can be done easily with Contax/Yashica mount. Again giving you access to now C/Y mount lenses as well as M42. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I can use my CZJ lens and C/Y Zeiss.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes, thank for ll.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, C/Y mount cameras are really the best choice for Zeiss fans. Very Happy If you love beautiful classic styled cams look for the Contax RTSII. It is an all time favorite for many. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very sorry to hear that somebody stole your M4. Sad

As far as M42 cameras are concerned, I can recommend:
- Spotmatic (now, thanks to Peter, I know what a great cam that is!)
- Zenit EM (very basic, but built like a tank)
- Porst CX6 (a cam that I got for almost nothing, and it seems to be really nice)
- Prakticas go for very little money.

You could also buy a nice EOS film cam (e.g. EOS 50) and adapt the lenses to this one, just like many of us do with their EOS DSLRs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I love my Spotmatics (my dream camera in the 60s), I'm fast falling for this new Chinon CE-3 (M42 mount). It's not quite as beautifully crafted but it's nice and solid, several steps up from a Praktica.

The features I like, compared to the Spotmatic, are:
Brighter viewfinder with split image and microprisms
Aperture-priority auto mode
Electronic stepless shutter with speed indicated in viewfinder
Shutter release button lock
2x-½x exposure compensation dial
2 and 4 second exposures
3200ASA (SP is 1600, SPII is 3200)
Exposure memory lock
Viewfinder shutter
Provision for power winder
Hot shoe (SPII has hot shoe)
Battery check light
Aperture closes for depth of field preview by the release button (like the old Prakticas)
Uses available silver oxide batteries

Things I'm not so happy with:
Metering and stop down only works when shutter is cocked
Clonky mirror/shutter, I'm a little concerned about vibration

The first roll of film I tried with the Chinon in auto mode was perfectly exposed. Very happy about this!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look awesome, Peter Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard only positive things about Chinon...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked The Chinon has a long list of useful features. It is a fine looking camera as well. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cosmin & Andy. I feel like a cheating husband, playing with the Chinon and leaving my old Spottie at home Embarassed I do like all the extra features on the Chinon, especially being able to close the aperture with the release button, it's how my old Praktica Nova used to work. But the Spottie is still my real love.

It was quite a find. I actually bought it for the 1.4/50 S-M-C lens (not the one in the pic) - the camera was parts/repair. It looks like it was abandoned after two rolls and forgotten about for 40 years. There's a tiny touch of corrosion on the chrome and the variable resistor for the ASA/speed knob seems unreliable - maybe it's slightly corroded too. But other than that the camera is in absolutely beautiful condition.

It took a few seconds to release the shutter Smile and I've renewed the light seals and installed Jes's resistors for the new batteries. The first shutter curtain was a little sluggish on the first few test shots, so that's been CLA'd too. I've still got to look at the variable resistor - maybe I can clean it but it doesn't look too complicated to replace it. So when that's done and the meter has been calibrated the camera will be in tip-top shape and have a loving owner and user! for many more years.

Apologies to estudleon for commandeering the thread with this. And thanks for helping me decide to stick with M42.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd

Thanks. And thank very much for all, guys.

Argentina is a little market for cameras and lenses, the sellers sell them in others countrys with better markets. And then I haven't much cameras to see and buy. Ebay can be a option, I bought 2 lenses and all was OK, but the problem is the mail here, in Agentina.

In this circumtances, all the cameras and lenses lovers here have to do a strong effort to continue with enthusiasm. All have problems, I know, and when I take a pic I forget all and be happy.

I will go through my city, once again, and will see the shops.

I will show my news cameras. Again, thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estudleon, if you want it, I have an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic body I'm not
using.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[b]Bill[/b]

You are in the first league Very Happy Very Happy . THANKS, BILL.

The problem isn't yours or mine, when your spot came in Argentina, the local mail that receive the camera, very probably "lost it" Sad Crying or Very sad

Well, I will stop to cry.

[b]peterqd[/b]

I see that you have the SMC taK 50/1,8 and the MC pancolar 50/1,8 too.

Which is better for you?