Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

About 200mm f3,3s
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: About 200mm f3,3s Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Over time I collected a few of these out if curiosity and when they were cheap enough. I know there are quite a few opinions out already. Here is my 2 cents contribution.
It looks like there are basically only 2 different constructions for these lenses, but then there are also some variations depending on under which brand it was sold and also with which mount. (For example, the M42 have a M/A switch ring which is not present for other mounts)
I got 6 of these and with some research here is what I found out.
All of them share the same greenish - orange coatings as far as I can see.

The first version which is most commonly found as a Makinon was also sold as Hanimex, JC Penney, Auto Kinor, Kamero, Presenta, Promaster, Rexatar, Maikar, Focal, Aetna Rokunar, Alcor, Prinzflex, Soligor, and maybe Vivitar.
They share the 67mm filter thread, a too short build-in hoodand a 6 blades aperture. It looks like these have been made by Makina Optical between 1978 and 1985. Minimum focus is about 2,8m or 9 ft. This version is not sharp wide open and contrast is low, but some reviews are quite good, so there is certainly some serious variations between copies.

The second version can be found as Chinon, Super Paragon, Cimko, Topcor and probably others (Eyemick ?). These lenses are a tad smaller and lighter then the first version. The coating is the same. Filter thread is smaller at 62mm and minimum focus is 1,8m or 6ft, still far, but much better. It could be an improved new version, but the lens looks quite different from the other and even the aestethics, lettering, etc... seem to indicate another manufacturer. If anyone knows who, please share ! There is also this green diamond shaped focus mark I've seen elsewhere, but I can't remember where... This version is a bit sharper wide open, with better contrast, and I find it good enough to be used for some pics, even wider than f5,6.
All the lenses I've seen do have focusing and aperture rings working in the correct way of the original manufacturer lenses. Something which hasn't always be done by others later...

I did my own unscientific testing, using an APSC camera and looking only at the center definition, so no comment about corners or vignetting here. Wide open, centers were soft or very soft, with low to very low contrast and lots of CA, with version 2 always better in all aspects. At f8, I found all of them good enough, but the point of a f3,3 lens is it's supposed to beat the dozens of f3,5s out there I think, and be cheaper than the 2,8s, so I kept them wide open.
Then I did a quick comparison with my much older Soligor 180 f3,5 preset (there we go...) and found it to be better in sharpness and contrast, but CA is very present. The Soligor is about the same weight than version 2 but boasts 10 blades aperture. So I went a bit further and compared the illumination of all these lenses. Surprise, the Soligor gives just the same then the others. Even though it is supposedly darker @ f3,5. ( so f3,3, really ?) This is where I decided to rather keep and use the soligor, and keep my Makinon 67 and Super Paragon 62 for their minty conditions, characters and collector's value (for me, that is...) All others will go.
So if you come across one of these in excellent condition for cheap, try it. You may be lucky. If not, you can still (try to) re-sell. Any comment or addition is welcome. Thanks for reading !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Prinzflex.CFD 3meters, 62mm filter and quite short. It is very soft an low contrast wide open. Stopping down to at least 8 for acceptable results. I don't like the bokeh either. It is soft but it looks muddy to me.
I won't sell it because I don't want to sell a lens that sucks.

Here is my Album of this lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomdump/albums/72157698790588524/

Last edited by D1N0 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Can we add photos of lenses and example photos? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0, I had a look at your pics. I think your Prinzflex is probably better than most. Of course we would need a side by side comparison. You're very right not to sell a bad lens but for some a, cheap lens can be good enough, as long as the seller is honest with the description. I'm using some "bad" lenses just because I like them, try to figure their weaknesses and avoid them, or use them. If the pic is important I try to stop down to f8 or 11. On the other hand, a lot has become very subjective today. He who delights in using a SRT 101 or a Canon AE1 doesn't expect what his friend using a full frame 36 MP DSLR rightfully expects. So, there is a lot to debate. Let'enjoy it. Thanks for your input .
I will post a pic or 2 of the lenses, but what I used to compare has been deleted already.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago I bought a Cimko 135 / 2.8 that I used a lot on my old Pentax K10 and NEX5, it's a great lens and when I saw a cheap Cimko 200 / 3.3 I bought it, but it had a badly hazed element that couldn't be cleaned and was a dissapointment. Then I saw another advertised online as being in "excellent condition" - and cheap - so I bought that, it was exactly the same, terminally hazed on the same element and even the same side. Which is a shame, if they were as good as the 135 I'd have been very happy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful info, Phalbert. I own a Hanimex (67Ø) 200mm f/3.3 which gives... interesting rendering.

Phalbert wrote:
. . .
I'm using some "bad" lenses just because I like them, try to figure their weaknesses and avoid them, or use them. . .

Yes. My Hanimex not only isn't sharp, it's so soft and glowy I believe it probably has an element reversed.
But I don't care! I've come to enjoy the "bad" image quality and I use my lens when I want a soft look.

I think I recall Attila (Administrator) saying he doesn't want double posting, so I'll link to some photos I've already shared. My photos are in the fifth post here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/makinon-makina-japan-fast-primes-t79202.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55, yours pics are awesome. That's what I'm talking about 😊. I have the Hanimex too, but it's hazy so I have barely used it since the Makinon is in good condition. Now I want to give it a try and let you know. Thanks !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
D1N0, I had a look at your pics. I think your Prinzflex is probably better than most. Of course we would need a side by side comparison. You're very right not to sell a bad lens but for some a, cheap lens can be good enough, as long as the seller is honest with the description. I'm using some "bad" lenses just because I like them, try to figure their weaknesses and avoid them, or use them. If the pic is important I try to stop down to f8 or 11. On the other hand, a lot has become very subjective today. He who delights in using a SRT 101 or a Canon AE1 doesn't expect what his friend using a full frame 36 MP DSLR rightfully expects. So, there is a lot to debate. Let'enjoy it. Thanks for your input .
I will post a pic or 2 of the lenses, but what I used to compare has been deleted already.

The main problem I think is veiling flare. The shots of the beer bottle inside and out show that when very little light enters the lens it goes away. (Outside one was already pretty low light. In full light it is much worse. I used spot metering to expose just for the sunny part for the first one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Let's try to post a pic. There are only 5 lenses since one has gone missing in my stuff. I'll need to dig deeper or it is gone... right in front is the Makinon in M42 Exc, first to the left the Hanimex PK mount, behind the Auto Kinor in CFD mount. To the right, the Super Paragon C/Y mount in Exc condition, and last the very hazy Chinon in PK mount.
By the way, the focusing ring of the Hanimex is rather loose. I managed to remove the rubber and tighten the 3 tiny screws underneath but to no effect. Could someone help ? Thanks.

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20206/big_1504_200mm_33_1.jpg][img]http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20206/1504_200mm_33_1.jpg[/img][/url]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's another second version, the CPC Phase 2 CCT in Pentax K mount, which looks a lot like your Chinon. CPC (Combined Products Corporation) was associated with Cosmicar, the Pentax subsidiary that started out as a closed-circuit TV lens manufacturer and later branched out into budget lenses. I wonder if Cosmicar could be the original source of all the second-version rebrands.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Ok. Let's try to post a pic. There are only 5 lenses since one has gone missing in my stuff. I'll need to dig deeper or it is gone... right in front is the Makinon in M42 Exc, first to the left the Hanimex PK mount, behind the Auto Kinor in CFD mount. To the right, the Super Paragon C/Y mount in Exc condition, and last the very hazy Chinon in PK mount.
By the way, the focusing ring of the Hanimex is rather loose. I managed to remove the rubber and tighten the 3 tiny screws underneath but to no effect. Could someone help ? Thanks.

I don't know why image show. Was BBCODE disabled?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the CPC Phase 2 is the second version of the lot. We can add it to the list. How does it perform ?
I've never heard of Cosmicar. Interesting, but if they manufactured lenses, the name should be known a little more ?
Interesting, my own picture doesn't show in my posting but it does when you quote ? Can someone explain ?
D1N0, I get the same result with my lens than you with the beer bottle. I was wandering, what if you try a Budweiser ? 😊😊😊 Seriously, the pics look like maybe one element is misaligned. It reminds me my visits to my ophtalmologist...

Visual, what is BBCODE ?

Thanks to all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Yep, the CPC Phase 2 is the second version of the lot. We can add it to the list. How does it perform ?
I've never heard of Cosmicar. Interesting, but if they manufactured lenses, the name should be known a little more ?
Interesting, my own picture doesn't show in my posting but it does when you quote ? Can someone explain ?
D1N0, I get the same result with my lens than you with the beer bottle. I was wandering, what if you try a Budweiser ? 😊😊😊 Seriously, the pics look like maybe one element is misaligned. It reminds me my visits to my ophtalmologist...

Visual, what is BBCODE ?

Thanks to all.

Look it up! Smile On the page where you type in message text, below the first set of "Preview/Submit" buttons is a checkbox to disable BBCODE. If checked, software will ignore brackets...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
So I went a bit further and compared the illumination of all these lenses. Surprise, the Soligor gives just the same then the others. Even though it is supposedly darker @ f3,5. ( so f3,3, really ?)

Right. Over the years, I've just assumed the "f/3.3" was a marketing ploy. And sure enough, when I compared my Hanimex to a Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 wide open, the Hanimex gathered slightly less light.

Phalbert wrote:
55, yours pics are awesome. That's what I'm talking about 😊. I have the Hanimex too, but it's hazy so I have barely used it since the Makinon is in good condition. Now I want to give it a try and let you know. Thanks !

Thank you. My Hanimex is sort of a one note lens for me. I use it almost exclusively for sunny morning flower photos.

Phalbert wrote:

Hmm. I've never worked on my Hanimex, but I would've recommended what you've already tried. Since tightening the screws didn't work, it might require disassembly to find the problem. Maybe not worth the effort?

Also, regarding the lenses with a green diamond on the depth of field scale, I believe they were made by Cima Kogaku.
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Cima_K%C5%8Dgaku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:

Mine looks exactly like the Makinon except for branding. Those two on the right is classic Cimko. So at least Makina and Cimko made a 200mm 1:3.3. Cimko has a better reputation than Makina so I guess those are the better ones.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three different versions of the lens, two from Makina (Promaster & Rokina brands), one from Cima Kogaku (CPC branded). The least seen is probably the Rokina variant, which has the 'macro' focussing front element arrangement as popularised by Sigma with their XQ lens range not long previously. I've only ever seen that version of the lens badged as Rokina.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thomas, welcome and thanks for your input. Your Rokina is very interesting (to me... are you selling it ? 😊😊😊) A great addition to the flock. The "macro" thing is welcome given the min focus of the other version... So, we have now 3 versions. Would you comment on their abilities ?
Cima Kogaku ? Never heard off but good info. What else did they do ? Yes, I will search a bit on my own.

55, thanks for the comments, Are you using extension rings for your Hanimex flower shots ? And you're right, I won't try to fix it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I took the CPC Phase 2 out this morning for some comparison shots before the afternoon thunderstorms blew in. This is the first time I've done any serious shooting with this lens, and honestly, I'm not very happy with it. I think I'll let someone else have it, and I'll stick with my Super-Tak 200/4. My experimenting indicates that the CPC is soft in any situation, and although that might be acceptable for portrait shooting, it isn't something I care for. Here are a couple of shots at about 8 ft. outdoors in bright sunlight; the first is at f/3.3 and 1/750, and the second at f/8 and 1/125, both at ISO 160.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
. . .

55, thanks for the comments, Are you using extension rings for your Hanimex flower shots ? And you're right, I won't try to fix it.

Yes, with its 3 meter minimum focus distance, I consider an extension ring to be standard equipment for my Hanimex! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys. One more thing. I found this thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/prinzflex-200mm-f33.html
with a picture of the Makinon M42 version in Prinzflex flavour. But according to the marking on the hood, it comes with a 62mm filter thread, unlike the 67mm of the other makinon made lenses. It is a bit slimmer, too. This one's serial number is much higher than mine, so is there a possibility makinon actually made 2 versions? If so, one could expect that later version to be better.
And that would bring the number of variants to 4. There I go hunting again... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew about the Cimko Topcor 200/3.3, but I don't recall reading about this Navy version, Topcon Story doesn't mention it...
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fast-topcon-re-topcor-200mm-f3-lens-76928138
...I wonder if it has better IQ than these other lenses?
There isn't a picture of the ID ring to verify it's a Navy, but it does look like it has an infinity lock switch that the Navy lenses have.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Revuenon 200mm 3.3 on Ebay. I third manufacturer or CIMKO as well (likely with 1.8m cfd)

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/293032614644

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lightshow. That's quite a find indeed. But very much collectible. It is doubtfull they improved the optics just for this version. Who knows how many - or how few - of these have been made? 🤔 It's the Cimko version which by now I believe to be the better one anyway. One more version. Thanks a lot for the addition.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
There is a Revuenon 200mm 3.3 on Ebay. I third manufacturer or CIMKO as well (likely with 1.8m cfd)

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/293032614644

It's the cimko. I compared the appearance with mine. 100% Identical. Strange that the seller didn't post a picture of the aperture / front side. Something to hide? 🤔

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another example of what could be the second (improved) version of the makinon, with a high serial number. 62mm filter ring and similar to the prinzflex.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tele-Lens-M-42-Thread-3-3-200-MM-Presenta-Car-Mc-62-Telephoto-Lens-M42/384301404087?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true&pageci=73ca1b0b-523b-4b00-a135-48726c689192&redirect=mobile