Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Makinon (Makina Japan) fast primes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Makinon (Makina Japan) fast primes Reply with quote

I already own two examples of the line of fast primes that Makina Japan made for a number of different brands.
I guess all of them were introduced in the late seventies.
These ones I own are a Porst f/1.8 135mm in PK mount, and a Weltblick f/1.8 35mm in M42 mount.
I found another one for cheap on Ebay, and I decided to bid.
Now I'm waiting for an Auto Makinon Multicoated f/3.3 200mm (M42) Smile

The comments I found on the Web about these three lenses are markedly different.
Different photographers, some of them apparently quite experienced, give opposite judgements.
There are two possible reasons:
1) there was a very bad QC, so the performance of one example was very different from another one
2) what people are looking for is different; maybe some people don't care about anything else but sharpness, while others care for nice OOF rendering

What do you think?
Any personal experience/comment about this family of lenses?

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Makinon 135 / 2.8 in mint condition, in it's case, for next to nothing at the local Camera Fair. I only bought it for those two reasons, it was mint and cheap.

It was OK, but nothing special. Certainly not as good as the Cimko 135 / 2.8 that I've had for years which for a budget, 3rd party lens is a very good lens, as good as some major brand lenses.
So I didn't use it much, and at the next Camera Fair I sold it for 3 times what I paid for it.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very Tomiokary to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
Looks very Tomiokary to me.

No, it's just the green lettering that's actually similar to some late Tomioka-made/designed lenses.
Other characteristics are different... and this time there is no doubt, the lens has the original maker's brand. Most other Makinons were sold under a number of brand names. In fact, I have never seen the other two branded as "Makinon".

The 200mm is probably a little more recent than the 135mm and the 35mm, and not as fast as the others (in relative terms), but is definitely faster than the other Makinon 200mm sold at he same time (I have seen a f/4.5 version on sale on eBay).
The picture doesn't show it, but if you search Google Pictures you would find a typical sign of Makina-made lenses, at least the more recent ones, the three-colours vertical DOF lines. It's very evident, and specific to Makina-made lenses.
The focusing/diaphragm reference is also different from the graphic present in Tomioka lenses... but it's rue that late Tomiokas and Makinons have a lot of green colour in common Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Makinon (Makina Japan) fast primes Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
. . .

What do you think?
Any personal experience/comment about this family of lenses?

cheers

Paolo

There's nothing like a new (old) fast prime lens to put a smile on one's face. Smile I hope you'll enjoy it!

I don't have much Makina experience, but I believe they made my Hanimex 200 f3.3.

My lens didn't make a good first impression. The 3m minimum focus distance is longer than I'd prefer, the aperture ring sits too close to my DSLR body to comfortably adjust, and images are very soft wide open. It has so much glow, even stopped down, that I've wondered if something is amiss.

But, no matter. After I'd gotten to know my lens better, I realized I liked the softness and glow. If I make sure to carry an extension tube and keep the lens at f/3.3, all is well.

Here are some springtime shots from this morning (Canon 5D, both f/3.3, 2nd shot with extension tube):

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Makinon (Makina Japan) fast primes Reply with quote

55 wrote:
But, no matter. After I'd gotten to know my lens better, I realized I liked the softness and glow.

When I read that part, I was ready to roll my eyes. Then I saw the photos. Now I think you undersold the awesomeness of this lens' character.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Makinon (Makina Japan) fast primes Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
55 wrote:
But, no matter. After I'd gotten to know my lens better, I realized I liked the softness and glow.

When I read that part, I was ready to roll my eyes. Then I saw the photos. Now I think you undersold the awesomeness of this lens' character.

Yes, I really like this lens for flowers. And I was being a bit tongue in cheek about leaving the lens at f/3.3 - just to avoid using the inconvenient aperture ring. But I think my Hanimex is in fact most useful when shot wide open.
A win, win situation. Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Makinon MC x2 teleconverter 7 elements in SR mount.

Very very prone to flare.

Mechanically are very good. Really.

In the IQ item, no so great

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, Makinons are pretty horrible, they were bottom of the ladder cheap stuff when they were new.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well......I've just bought another Makinon 135 / 2.8. This one is a Macro version, which is fairly unusual in 135mm. It's in OM mount, which is OK, but I suspect the blades are stuck wide open. I haven't got a camera to try it on with me at the moment.

So why would I buy it? It was dirt cheap in a pawn shop, £7 was cheap enough to take a chance with. And after Simon's comment that Paulo's lens "looks Tomiokaish" - the dead flat rear element on this macro version intrigues me. Question

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Makinon (Makina Japan) fast primes Reply with quote

[quote="55"]
cyberjunkie wrote:
. . .

Quite fancy bokeh but I would rate it more than average. Focus range looks for somebody artistic and for other unacceptable. To my use would say unappropriate.

Have one Hanimex 135/2.8 in PK mount with close focus to cca 0.9m MFD from my friend. Try it once with portrait but I would say that it develop nice combo with realiable PK cam.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the bokeh of the Auto Makinon 50mm 1,8 and it likes green i think (because of the green coating...??)

one shot wide open:

on flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/planetgroove/42011427712/

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to what I read, and what I've seen with my eyes, Makina Japan lenses (before the company was moved to China) are not great performers... to be generous Smile
Though I'm especially interested in their fast primes, which are worth experimenting with, considering their cost.
The Porst f/1.8 135mm and the Weltblick f/1.8 35mm I have are the cheapest option to shoot with such fast primes.
Funky wide open, and the 35mm is also sharp enough at medium diaphragms.