Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Double Bass Girl, shot with Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Double Bass Girl, shot with Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

I was going thru the images of today and I am already very found of this image

a bit bigger here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zewrak/2632405734/in/pool-346381@N21

Makes it all worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES Shocked This is a gorgeous capture on every level. Wow you got it all composure, exposure, choice of DOF all perfect. Beautiful subject and nicely timed moment as well . Is this staged or live action? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trully amazing! Well done from every aspects!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
YES Shocked This is a gorgeous capture on every level. Wow you got it all composure, exposure, choice of DOF all perfect. Beautiful subject and nicely timed moment as well . Is this staged or live action? Laughing

It's live, never seen her before. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's live, never seen her before. Smile

Laughing Well hopefully you see her again Twisted Evil
Again really great one !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great capture! Fantastic expression on her face!

I have to be sincere, I am not so convinced of the composition. She's very tight on the right and a lot of space on the left. I would crop about 20% of the image on the left. Her lateral gaze would still be effective, but she would not be so de-centred.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Great capture! Fantastic expression on her face!

I have to be sincere, I am not so convinced of the composition. She's very tight on the right and a lot of space on the left. I would crop about 20% of the image on the left. Her lateral gaze would still be effective, but she would not be so de-centred.

But but but... then it won't be SQUARE! Wink And the reason shes tight on that side is because there is a microphone stand next to her that spoils the picture. :p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Orio.

Thats better?

EDIT: Lol I see now I missed a part of the microphone cable. (photoshopped the stand and the microphone :p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a lot of vertical elements in the picture: her, the bass, the fence pole. The only horizontal element (the top of fence) is not levelled but slightly diagonal. I can not find any reason in the picture to keep the square format. A vertical framing would serve the image better. In my personal opinion, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:
For Orio.
Thats better?

Hm... you have given more space to the top, compared to first picture (where top of bass was cropped). With this new higher top you need more space on the left to compensate.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I would crop it if it was my picture:

I would leave the top of bass cropped because it makes the thigh cropping to the arm at the right less painful.
Then I would crop on the left enough to make picture vertical and recentre the subject, but not too much, so that there is still room for her gaze to "aim towards".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
This is how I would crop it if it was my picture:

I would leave the top of bass cropped because it makes the thigh cropping to the arm at the right less painful.
Then I would crop on the left enough to make picture vertical and recentre the subject, but not too much, so that there is still room for her gaze to "aim towards".

Sweet. Much appreciated. Alot to learn about this and I really need the help and I do really appreciate it. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:

Sweet. Much appreciated. Alot to learn about this and I really need the help and I do really appreciate it. Smile

This is just my interpretation, one of the several possible and not necessarily the best one. It's not an exact science Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very convinced about cropping the top of the bass and part of the right arm would be so good looking. I'd be curious to see the original shot because I'm seeing a "square" opportunity Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
I'm not very convinced about cropping the top of the bass and part of the right arm would be so good looking. I'd be curious to see the original shot because I'm seeing a "square" opportunity Wink

Of course you understand that the need to crop the top of the bass derives from the fact that there is a tight crop on the arm.

Since the arm is cropped so tight, to crop the top of bass means that the eye of the viewer is distracted by the top crop and does not insist too much on the crop at the arm, which is the weak point of the image.

Call it a "defensive measure". Wink

In an ideal world I would like to have the full bass and more room at the right of the image.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Call it a "defensive measure". Wink

In an ideal world I would like to have the full bass and more room at the right of the image.

Yep, if the first image posted were the original you'd be right, but the other one posted by zemrak has more space both to the right and to the top. I'd cut some bottom then to make it squarer with the hands on the bass strings as "centerweight" of the shot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the second image, I also would make it less rectangular, but by leaving more room at the left.
If you cut bottom, you take away the "Ss" of the instrument, while I think they are visually an important reference (although you can see little of them already)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zewrak. A great image (The original) IMO the negative space works well, making it an original well balanced composition that works on many levels.
To use Attila words Well done from every aspects

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great capture!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like the original version. I agree that the top of the bass being cut off draws the attention away from the tight right side (at least it did for me). Of course, now I am taking all the suggestions and looking at the photo with a more technical eye. Aesthetically, which is how I judge most photos, the first version still wins hands down.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great capture, Zewrak, and I'm going to be politically correct and not
choose a version. Wink

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shot - the original Smile

Excellent spotting of a nice moment.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shot - beautiful portrait. I have just started using this lens (yesterday) and am very impressed with it so far, especially as I got it for $40.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shot!
the tak is a sweet little lens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the original. I'd love to see different examples so play all you want. Ofcourse I could spend a while in Photoshop and remove all annoying stuff and add space on all sides. But I really can't be arsed. Very Happy Maybe some rainy day.

I have more clean pictures of her, but none with that facial expression and gazing look, which makes this picture stand out.

Seeing all of the image takes the magic away a bit though Wink