Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Double Bass Girl, shot with Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Striking image but (looking at both the inline image and the larger one you link to) it seems over sharpened in particular her left arm has a strong white halo and the highlights on the strings seem to be blown. Same for the light strands of hair by her face. Perhaps a bit heavy on the levels-curves?

But as I say a striking image.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love also the original. I love to see the other people's faces and I don't mind the annoying stuff.
If the subject is powerful (and yours is), the rest of the stuff does not annoy.
Only weak subjects are annoyed by extra stuff.

Only thing, I would have liked less trees on top and more ground at bottom. But it's still a great capture and her pose is perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Striking image but (looking at both the inline image and the larger one you link to) it seems over sharpened in particular her left arm has a strong white halo and the highlights on the strings seem to be blown. Same for the light strands of hair by her face. Perhaps a bit heavy on the levels-curves?

But as I say a striking image.

Probably my script messing it up. I shall fix it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked it a bit. Am I doing ok? :p

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great for me, Zewrak.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

As much as I like to hear that, I liked your elaborations before. Smile What do you think is better/worse? I am learning here, you know. Only kind words don't help. *grin*

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:
Orio wrote:

As much as I like to hear that, I liked your elaborations before. Smile What do you think is better/worse? I am learning here, you know. Only kind words don't help. *grin*

Your last version is very close to my elaboration. If I have to find the hair in the egg, I would say that I would crop a little on the top, like this:

But it's really nitpicking.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:

So this is from the colour shot above, with the mic and cable cloned out and then greyscaled and cropped?

Yes, looks good. Compare the strings to the ones on the original photo (which does have a better facial expression, as you said).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
zewrak wrote:
Orio wrote:

Your last version is very close to my elaboration. If I have to find the hair in the egg, I would say that I would crop a little on the top, like this:

But it's really nitpicking.

Yeah that looks good. Smile Thanks for your input helped me alot to see the not so obvious. Smile Should do this more often.

[Quote=ChrisLilley]
So this is from the colour shot above, with the mic and cable cloned out and then greyscaled and cropped?

Yes, looks good. Compare the strings to the ones on the original photo (which does have a better facial expression, as you said).
[/quote]

Yes this is the same picture.

Here is a bit from the workflow

Straightened it

Edited the fence, microphone stand and car away.

Then converted to b&w. Burned the hair a bit and put on a unsharp mask. Masked out the unsharp mask so that it was only affecting hair, eyes, mouth, fingers and shirt.

Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:
[img]

I don’t like your last version.
The bar cutting straight across the picture ruins it. It catches the eye and takes the attention from the subject.
I believe if you showed this version to a non photographer they would say.
“Nice photo, shame the bar was in the way”
Your very first version takes some beating especially from the original you have to work with, as you wrote
‘Seeing all of the image takes the magic away a bit though’

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
zewrak wrote:
[img]

The bar cutting straight across the picture ruins it. It catches the eye and takes the attention from the subject.
Your very first version takes some beating especially from the original you have to work with, as you wrote

I have considered to remove the whole fence. But to be honest, I think there is too much of photoshop work. The final picture will be somewhat like the original one.

Funny thing though, I posted it on two different sites (excluding this) and as you say, the first cut got only good comments and the last only got comments about the rail, nothing else. Smile

This was a good lecture though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:
Rob Leslie wrote:
zewrak wrote:
[img]

I have considered to remove the whole fence. But to be honest, I think there is too much of photoshop work. The final picture will be somewhat like the original one.

Funny thing though, I posted it on two different sites (excluding this) and as you say, the first cut got only good comments and the last only got comments about the rail, nothing else. Smile

This was a good lecture though.

That tells it all and certainly should reinforce your ideas.
Nice one and thanks for the informative feedback.