Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Glamour
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Glamour Reply with quote

Shoot with the Gipsy Queen Wednesday.
The model is of course a complete amateur, just a local lady who has a nice Gipsy Caravan. She is 42 years old.
Lenses were the Zenitar 16mm and the Tamron SP 35-80

Flash was used to add some light which would have been there from the window if the weather would have been better. Flash unit was a Vivitar 283 fitted with vari-power modul and fired with radio slave. It was clamped at the high to the rear were the window is. The net curtains were left to diffuse it.

Something different.

Please feel free to comment as you wish, as long as its fairly polite and respectful to the model.

Last edited by Rob Leslie on Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:16 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like #2 one , so natural , she has beautiful smile with amazing blue eyes, eyes are very important to me in any portrait. On this images shows very well. I also like portrait right after B&W image, nice capture.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is far and away my favorite, it just feels like you and her were just sitting around chatting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
#2 is far and away my favorite, it just feels like you and her were just sitting around chatting.

Well spotted. She is so nervous (But keen) about doing photos, we do just sit around chatting. It is the only way I can get the look of terror off her face.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is great, but I like #5 as well, she should smile more, beautiful girl!
(Well she's girl to me, since I'm your age, Rob!)

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW is my No1. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice results Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 2 is the most natural capture.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just posted a couple more shots on my Blog.

http://roblesliephotography.blogspot.com/2008/06/gypsy-queen.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is a pretty girl. #2 is my favorite followed closely by the B&W.

Nice work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. 2 for me too, most natural of them. I like some on the blog better the 3/4 profile mono with the sunglasses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the second-to-last one. She looks relaxed and the pose and hairstyle are somehow reminiscent of the '60s.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting that most seem to like the 2 most manipulated images.

The BW had a couple of curve adjustment layers with masks and a layer of Photoshop film grain.

#2 the second colour image is very ‘Unnatural’
It’s two Raw conversions blended with a layer mask (HDR) and then curves adjustment.
It also has a Gaussian blur overlay and a diffuse Glow layer.
All the photos are heavily ‘Retouched’ to remove many skin blemishes and lines. Retouching was done with healing brush and history brush as well a bit of Smudge tool.

As for any comment to say it is false, - of course it is, the lady and everybody else wants to her looking good.

I think I would like to start a new trend. Let’s be proud of the work and effort we put into making our pictures rather than the ambiguous ‘No adjustment’ comment

PS Added 21.05 I already mentioned it with the photo but the biggest fake or manipulation on #2 is the lighting - the flash unit behind her. Withoit that the Gaussian blur overlay and diffuse glow layer wouldn't have worked.

Last edited by Rob Leslie on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:

As for any comment to say it is false, - of course it is, the lady and everybody else wants to her looking good.
I think I would like to start a new trend. Let’s be proud of the work and effort we put into making our pictures rather than the ambiguous ‘No adjustment’ comment

Is this a polemic against me?
I don't see the point, but I gladly leave you alone in this.

I am tired of people criticizing other people just because they have a strong opinion and are not afraid to talk about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like photography what is show better view than reality, I love to see heavily touched images rather than untouched less looking good ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Rob Leslie wrote:

Is this a polemic against me?
I don't see the point, but I gladly leave you alone in this.

I am tired of people criticizing other people just because they have a strong opinion and are not afraid to talk about it.

Sorry Orio I wasn’t even thinking about you.
In fact I can’t see any recent images from you stating ‘No adjustments’ or post from you on these images.

My point for telling everybody about the images was purely in the interest of sharing information with fellow forum members.
I don’t think it would have been acceptable to write that the Zenitar and Tamrom SP 35-80 have this great soft glow to them and to be honest I wish to take the blame or praise for the look of the pictures.

I’m sure anybody who hasn’t liked the look of the pictures hasn’t posted a comment anyway. Those who have posted that they like image 2 deserve to be told the truth.

All I can say is Sorry you thought it was some reference to you.
I thought we ended up almost agree on the Art thread?
Not these images have much artistic merit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:

A photo in good light doesn't need adjustment
Adjustment are used to 'fix' problems
The more a photo is bad at the source, the more it need retouching

Friend photographer retouch photograph
Sometimes they even change head between shots if one in a group have closed eyes
I understand this for commercial shots but here we are not commercial

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look Simon's photos all of them retouched and every body amazed about them. Retouch or not retouch not a question in my opinion , important result only, same than not important lens, camera etc. Only the final result a beautiful photograph what is really touch my heart in photography.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always thought of photography as an adventure.
Everyday can be a different shoot, every situation may need a different approach and technique.
There can be numerous choices and decisions to make and that’s just taking the picture.
The adventure continues in the darkroom where it is common to spend endless hours engrossed in the adventure of producing a good print.
With digital nothing has changed.
The adventure of shooting is exactly the same and the darkroom adventure has been replaced with an adventure in Photoshop.

I have deliberately steered away from any (Silly) photo technique points. Everybody should enjoy their own adventure in the way they know best.

Some quotes from Ansel Adams

‘You don’t take a photograph, you make it’

‘Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships.’

‘The negative is comparable to the composer's score and the print to its performance. Each performance differs in subtle ways’

‘There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs’

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Only the final result a beautiful photograph what is really touch my heart in photography.

Exactly my thoughts Attila Smile

Btw, I also like the #2 the most because of its natural mood.

As I said in another topic you really have to know well photography and light to fake reality Wink Poor photographers make poor post productions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I postworked this starting from my own photograph:

If a photographer has the right to take a portrait, chance colour of the skin, enlarge eyes, prolongue neck, reduce ears, change hairstyle, change nose shape, and still call that "a photograph", then I claim for myself the right to call this picture of mine also "a photograph".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think this is the best shape of your photo Wink From beginning of photography people retouched images to make them better. Nothing wrong with that just now we have better tools than ever before on computer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I postworked this starting from my own photograph

well done Orio!
this is very well balanced and could stand in any living room

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some obvious differences between good adjustments/manipulations/retouching and rubbish. There are also many less obvious ones.
First there are no rules, all that should matter is the end result.
The end result may be being used as an example for something and if it shows what the creator intended then it is successful.

My first ‘General’ ‘Guideline’ is good manipulation should not stand out. The viewer should see a good photo not examples of Photoshop or darkroom work.
As a general rule just applying filters or plug in effects to a photo hardly ever work. All the filters in Photoshop were never designed to work in that way which is why beginners always think they are ‘ Too strong, overdone, or just useless’
Filters should always be used as layers and all the many qualities and controls of layers offer can then be used to control them.
Still on the same point of a good adjustment not standing out is the user’s reason/idea/motive for using an adjustment. IMO adjustments are not for correcting mistakes they are for creating the image you have in mind.
If you have no idea of what the finished image should look like then there is no point adjusting it.
Adjustments and especially retouching and manipulation are to help you create the image you have in your mind and preferably you had that image in mind when you made the exposure.
This is about my Glamour post and that favourite of everybody #2 is an example.
It was a very dull day but I didn’t want to photography that. I wanted the sun streaming in from the rear window adding back light. I manipulated the exposure by putting a flash unit there, it is what the scen would have looked like if I had a nice sunny day.
Follow my link to the blog and you will see one of the shots with her hair sticking out. It would have been pointless shooting that if I didn’t have any idea of the finished result I wanted.
Is there anybody not even bothering to control their light with reflectors diffusers and flash?
Adjustments of any sort are basic principle of creating photographs. Manipulation and retouching are equally so. Even good Documentary photographers and virtually all good photo journalists manipulate their shots.
Digital did not introduce manipulation it has been done from the dawn of photography.
Digital has made bad manipulations easy especially with poor plug in effects but good adjustments take a bit of thought as they did in the darkroom, its just the same.
In the early days when the norm was a 10 x 8 negative most photos were 50% painting!
Does anybody believe Ansel Adams would not now be using digital and turning out great manipulated landscapes in Photoshop?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anybody believe Ansel Adams would not now be using digital and turning out great landscapes in Photoshop?
Absolutely he would, but maybe MF camera with a digital back.

I have an interesting group which I take my photographs for "competition" I only really go for alternatie feedback on my images. Here is the link to some galleries of mambers Take a look at EB Swarbrick and Helen Spillanes images
http://www.slic-imaging.org.uk/page-5-galleries.htm

Helen never shows a "straight image" Eb's have been adjusted but fall into the classic photography arena on the whole. However what is judged on these occasions is the composition, aesthetics, thought provoking, etc qualities to an image. Interestingly the technical aspect of lens, aperture, camera etc all disregarded unless artefacts or exposure are obviously not right. The image stands on its own two feet, no discussion is given before the judge views it he or she does not know who the author is. I find you get some very straight honest feedback from some highly regarded photographers.

I think if we manipulate an image for this forum we should say straight up what we have done otherwise we are distorting the capabilities of the lens. After all we are about manual focus lenses, in the other areas of the forum post straight images. In the gallery post your best images but specify what adjustments are made crop, WB, noise reduction etc. A good image is a good image is a good image.