Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hoya HMC 3.5/25-42 Zoom&Macro(PK)New wide angle zoom...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Hoya HMC 3.5/25-42 Zoom&Macro(PK)New wide angle zoom... Reply with quote

Hi!

My "new" Hoya HMC 3.5/25-42 Zoom&Macro (PK-mount) arrived today.
This is an impressive (as far as looks are concerned) lens in mint condition. I can't wait to testshoot it. Wink

More soon...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Attila:
All I could find about this lens was this short conversation in Hungarian. Would you mind translating it for me, please?
Online translators badly failed here... Sad

"akkor itt is gratulalok, ilyen is ritkan van hogy elobb volt alkalmam
tapizni mint olvasni rola.
Amit nem ertek, de tkp. mindegy: egy Minolta-n mutattad es mondtad is,
hogy Minolta bajonettes, ez a link meg C/Y.
Most akkor tobbfele bajonettel gyartotta a Hoya, vagy a tied C/Y-rol
lett Minolta-ra atszerelve, ezt hirtelen nem vagom, de mondom,
tulajdonkeppen tokmindegy, a lenyeg, hogy nagyon szep darabnak nez ki,
teljen benne sok oromed...

Szep napot,
Peter
"

"Ezek a Third-Party gyártók mint Kenko, Tamron, Sigma, Vivitar, Hoya,
Kiron stb. mindig is többféle véggel gyártották az obikat.
Amúgy köszi, már egy hátrányára is rájöttem, sokkal nehezebb és
nagyobb, mint pl. a Vivitar 2/24-es.
"

If you don't find time, don't worry.

Cheers,
Carsten

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

The first guy , Peter, wonders on the fact that he saw the lens (Hoya) with Minolta and Contax/Yashika mount too.
The answer is that Hoya, like other third-party lens producers equiped their lenses with different mounts. As a cons. of the lens (I think the Hoya) is the fact that's bigger and heavier than Vivitar 2/24.

I think thats woulb be the meaning of the conversation, but lets wait for Attila for a confirmation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Cosmin, is there a language that you DON'T know? Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Cosmin. And yes, "WOW"!!! Hungarian is really difficult!

This lens really is heavy and bulky (I like that! Wink), it has a 72mm Filter thread (I like that, too! Very Happy ).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmin live together with many Hungarians , that are was part of Hungary before the wars... Perfect translation Cosmin, thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the lens looks like:

Some quick testshots this evening, 350D, JPEG, no pp.

Click on image to see a larger version.

And the lens knows how to "macro":

This rose is only about 2 cm in diameter.

At the wide end: very good resolution, some barrel distortion, surprisingly constant to the egdes.
At the "long" end (42mm): resolution a little worse but hardly a distortion visible.

A nice 40-67mm "normal" zoom lens at my EOS 350D and a very useful 25-42mm wide angle zoom lens at my Ricoh KR-10x, at which I will use this lens predominantly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Carsten, sounds like a useful lens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked this lens up for £6 from a charity shop. FD mount on Nex-3.

Results from a short walk yesterday:-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have macro switch on the focusing ring and if it does what the switching to the macro mode does - moves the rear lens group or moves some internal lenses?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Does it have macro switch on the focusing ring and if it does what the switching to the macro mode does - moves the rear lens group or moves some internal lenses?

The macro switch keeps the rear group static and moves the front elements across the zoom range. The action was quite confusing at first as I expected the switch to activate an extension to the zoom mechanism and movement, but it doesn't, instead the switch has to be pushed up and held from the telephoto 42mm end and 'zoomed' to the 25mm position which achieves maximum 1/4 macro. Releasing the switch at either extremity returns to standard zoom function.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sburley wrote:
dimitrygo wrote:

The macro switch keeps the rear group static and moves the front elements across the zoom range. The action was quite confusing at first as I expected the switch to activate an extension to the zoom mechanism and movement, but it doesn't, instead the switch has to be pushed up and held from the telephoto 42mm end and 'zoomed' to the 25mm position which achieves maximum 1/4 macro. Releasing the switch at either extremity returns to standard zoom function.

Can you please shoot the lens with the switch in both positions? I have this lens (in it's original Sun version) but the switch doesn't work and the lens is stuck in macro mode.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Can you please shoot the lens with the switch in both positions? I have this lens (in it's original Sun version) but the switch doesn't work and the lens is stuck in macro mode.

The switch is sprung so has to be held/pushed up to engage macro whilst zooming out from the 42mm end. To release the macro you just need to return back to the 42mm extreme and the lever will release/spring back of it's own accord. The movement is only a few mm and goes from slightly proud of the zoom band when engaged to flush when disengaged, but the snap of the release mechanism is very loud and obviously sprung loaded. If you don't get this automatic release then I can't see a way of forcing it manually.

The instructions here perhaps indicate the mechanism on the original Sun version is slightly different and does need some manual input to return: http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sun-wide-zoom-macro-24-40mm-f3-5.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sburley wrote:

The instructions here perhaps indicate the mechanism on the original Sun version is slightly different and does need some manual input to return: http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sun-wide-zoom-macro-24-40mm-f3-5.html

Yes, I saw this post but either I do something wrong or my lens' mechanism is stuck/broken. I wanted to see the switch positions on your lens in order to understand whether I push it enough or not but it seems the mechanisms on Sun and Hoya are different so it won't help me.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
sburley wrote:

Yes, I saw this post but either I do something wrong or my lens' mechanism is stuck/broken. I wanted to see the switch positions on your lens in order to understand whether I push it enough or not but it seems the mechanisms on Sun and Hoya are different so it won't help me.
Thank you.

I have SUN WIDE ZOOM MACRO 1:3.5 24-40mm multi-coated No. 766937 SUN OPT. Ø72, pictured in http://forum.mflenses.com/three-suns-sun-opt-zoom-set-t29966.html

Same as your lens? Maybe I can help...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
dimitrygo wrote:
sburley wrote:

Thank you.

I have SUN WIDE ZOOM MACRO 1:3.5 24-40mm multi-coated No. 766937 SUN OPT. Ø72, pictured in http://forum.mflenses.com/three-suns-sun-opt-zoom-set-t29966.html

Same as your lens? Maybe I can help...

Yes, same lens as mine. Do you have something to add to the instructions from the link above?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the Sun version. Entering macro mode is as follows:

1. Rotate the zoom ring to 40mm. A little yellow triangle is now visible in the window next to the aperture indication mark.

2. Push the macro switch towards the front of the lens and hold it there.

3. Rotate the zoom ring back away from 40mm. The lens is now in macro mode. You can release the macro switch. You will notice the yellow triangle stays visible in the window as the zoom ring is turned. In normal zoom mode, the triangle moves out of the window as the lens is zoomed away from 40mm.

4. To exit macro mode, rotate the zoom ring to 40mm and switch clicks back down automatically.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SXR_Mark wrote:
I also have the Sun version. Entering macro mode is as follows:

1. Rotate the zoom ring to 40mm. A little yellow triangle is now visible in the window next to the aperture indication mark.

2. Push the macro switch towards the front of the lens and hold it there.

3. Rotate the zoom ring back away from 40mm. The lens is now in macro mode. You can release the macro switch. You will notice the yellow triangle stays visible in the window as the zoom ring is turned. In normal zoom mode, the triangle moves out of the window as the lens is zoomed away from 40mm.

4. To exit macro mode, rotate the zoom ring to 40mm and switch clicks back down automatically.

I don't see any triangle at 40mm, only numbers from 10 to 3.8 that indicate "magnification" as I turn the zoom ring toward 24mm end.
The macro switch on my lens moves only about 2mm back and force. Is it the same on your lens? Also it seems there is no spring behind it, it stays in place in each position without holding it. And it also moves the same at each zoom setting - 24mm, 40mm and everything in between.
What happens actually when you press the switch toward the front? Do you see something happens to the lens? Does something move?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halleluiah! I did it! I assumed that if the spring that returns the switch back is broken on my lens I need to imitate its action. So I pushed the switch toward the back of the lens and turned the zoom ring all the way while keeping pushing the switch. At some point I heard a click and the switch moved back for additional 0.5mm and that's all - now I see the triangle and the lens behaves like you explained (except the switch doesn't return back by itself).

Thank you for your help!