Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Three Suns: Sun Opt. Zoom Set
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Three Suns: Sun Opt. Zoom Set Reply with quote

3.5/24-40:

3.5/38-90:

4/80-240:

(quick handheld snaps, excuses excuses Rolling Eyes , with the 4/50 Macro-Takumar @f/5.6 on 5D1)

Anybody have information about these? I haven't been able to locate much other than that in a few other very recent threads here in this forum. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that me, you and luis have the 80-240mm

The company seems to be quite well documented on camerapedia:

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Sun

But lens coverage on that site is restricted to the very early models

Most of the lenses seemed to have something unusual about them either cosmetically or physically, I find them fascinating, kinda oddball.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engineering of these is fascinating to me also; there are many facets on these gems!

The Infrared ( Exclamation ) focus marks for each focal length is an example of an added touch to the design. ( Exclamation ) Infrared ( Exclamation ) There is also a system of internal baffles. All have close focus 'Macro' rings that shift lens groups internally. They are heavy with glass, how many elements? If that isn't enough, the universal YS camera mounting system. The design is like for fine laboratory instruments rather than for general photography. As if microscope designer did some moonlighting Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one's build reminds me of a cross between a Soligor CD and a Kiron zoomlock.Do the mounts come off of these?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also 60-150/f4.0 zoom in this line:

(Image was "stolen" from this page http://www.flickr.com/groups/om_four_thirds_adapter/discuss/72157594284063757/#comment72157600027268949)

It is aslo designated as macro but doesn't have macro switch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking series of lenses. I really like that 80-240.

siriusdogstar,
I hope you post some test results from these lenses.I bet they are pretty good preformers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mo, yes the mounts are removable -- there are YS mounts for various cameras, much like Tamron's adaptall system. On these zooms are YS mounts for Konica T3, Canon FTb; I have a YS M42 adapter and Nikon. The 80-240 has a T2 mount instead of YS.

EDIT!
The YS mount design is closer to T2 than adaptall; YS has same M42x0.75 threading and thickness as T2, with an auto-diaphragm pin operated by mechanics in the various mounts. Some mounts have mechanical linkage to aperture ring, used by the camera for open-aperture metering.

The 80-240 is also YS mount, not T2 as written above. All of these zooms are YS mount.
/EDIT

@walter g, some quick photos in dim lighting last winter show promise; I back focused them all for some reason, maybe the dim light. I haven't had the time to really give the lenses a go in good light; soon I hope. The photos do show smooth out of focus transition, good textural definition, and nice color, maybe a little low in contrast, okay sharpness the in-focus areas. I agree these could be performers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
There is also 60-150/f4.0 zoom in this line:

(Image was "stolen" from this page http://www.flickr.com/groups/om_four_thirds_adapter/discuss/72157594284063757/#comment72157600027268949)

It is also designated as macro but doesn't have macro switch.

another, aperture varies on this one 3.5-4.5/28-80 Click here to see on Ebay

and another, 3.5/28-90
Click here to see on Ebay

Lens Vademecum:

"Sun Optical Co Ltd., Ichikawa-shi, Chiba-ken, Japan.
It has also been noted under the names Sophia and Sola. One favourite lens was the Sun or Sola 90mm for M39x26 mount, which was a 1950's item. Later the name appeared on other lenses including Zooms which were the big market success. They were agented in the UK by Pentax of Eastbourne, and Phago Photographic Wembley, Middlesex in 1972.

In 1972, Phago Photographic listed a series of Sun YS auto lenses for SLR's"

I have the 4/9cm Sola in Exacta mount...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 28-80

I haven't used it much but from a quick play it seemed quite sharp between about 50 and 80mm wide open, needed stopping down a little at the wider focal lengths, colour and contrast etc were good, I didn't notice any significant CA/fringing etc.

Not amazing but a pretty solid performer it seems.

I see now the link with Soligor C/D lenses after pbfacts pointed it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
I see now the link with Soligor C/D lenses after pbfacts pointed it out.

The Sun 28/80 was also sold under osawa tm
The soligor version is a one-touch design (same optics but mechanics different)

siriusdogstar wrote:
and another, 3.5/28-90
Click here to see on Ebay

Not 28/90 but earlier 38/90 : It was one of the very first standard zoom lens along with sigma 38/80 and tamron 38/100 (~1973)

The most modern tokina (=soligor = vivitar) 35/105 3.5 and vivitar 35/85 s1 were manufactured later

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun 1:3.5/38-90mm Click here to see on Ebay

Note!: Although this lens has FD mount, the lens is a YS interchangeable mount lens, i.e YS mount is T2 thread with aperture pin: any T2 adapter will fit.

Spiratone YS Interchangeable Auto Mount Booklet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Sun 1:3.5/38-90mm Click here to see on Ebay

Note!: Although this lens has FD mount, the lens is a YS interchangeable mount lens, i.e YS mount is T2 thread with aperture pin: any T2 adapter will fit.

YS and T2 mounts are similar in approach but different in dimentions, although they have the same 42x0.75 thread.
While T2 adapter may fit the YS mount, the resulting distance between the lens and sensor/film will be different.
See below a comparison between YS-M42 mount and T2-C/Y mount (the M42 and C/Y mounts have the same register distance).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? The comparison shows adapters for different cameras with identical camera registers to me. Wink Also, on first page of Spiratone YS Interchangeable Auto Mount Booklet is "All YS adapter mounts (and lenses) have the identical specifications as T Mount lenses and adapters so that T adapters may be used for those cameras for which no YS adapters may be available."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Huh? The comparison shows adapters for different cameras with identical camera registers to me. Wink Also, on first page of Spiratone YS Interchangeable Auto Mount Booklet is "All YS adapter mounts (and lenses) have the identical specifications as T Mount lenses and adapters so that T adapters may be used for those cameras for which no YS adapters may be available."

As I already have noted above the M42 and C/Y mounts have the same register distance - 45.5mm (45.46 and 45.5 to be more precise). So these adapters above should have the same thickness but as you can clearly see this is not the case - there is about 0.5mm difference. I have 2 YS adapters - M42 and PK - and both of them have the same thickness - 9.5mm. The T2-Y/C adapter's thickness is 9.0mm. If someone here can measure his T2-M42 or T2-PK adapter it would be very helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 80-240mm too - it's a really great piece of work mechanically, and 'oddball' seems like the most appropriate description Laughing

fatdeeman wrote:
All I know is that me, you and luis have the 80-240mm

Most of the lenses seemed to have something unusual about them either cosmetically or physically, I find them fascinating, kinda oddball.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another Sun Zoom, the 65-135 mm.

I think that Luisalegría posted about it, perhaps I'm wrong.

Nice contrast images (well, taken by Luis, all said). Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using YS mount lenses for years with T-mounts, no problem with infinity.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

The plane you drew on the T2 adapter is a part of Y/C bayonet and not the mount flange.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I have been using YS mount lenses for years with T-mounts, no problem with infinity.

Do you have T2-M42 or T2-PK adapters? Can you meausre their thikness?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9.5 mm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
9.5 mm

Strange, I can only assume my T2-C/Y adapter is defective. I don't have any lens to test it so I have no way to verify this.