Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar (Kobori) 28-200 3.5-5.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Vivitar (Kobori) 28-200 3.5-5.3 Reply with quote

After reading about this one in the dpreview article referred to here, I went looking...

It's the Kobori 77 serial number, right enough, but the 3.5-5.3 aperture range is another sign.

The lens hood is from the Mir 38B, luckily enough it's a wide one.

At 28mm it's nothing special, but it's ok.

So much the same for 100mm.

Full size pic of the 200 available here
http://www.mediafire.com/?al5at5t4lo0

A 100% crop from a 200mm shot, this pole is about 400m away.

Overall, it's not a bad lens, with just a trace of CA over on the left but easily rectified in PS if wanted. It initially seems to be of low contrast, but then again it was a fairly dull day and perhaps any other lens would have shown up the same. No problem to fix that.
All the pics above were mildly PPd - levels, usm, nothing more.

*edit* typo

Last edited by Farside on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kobori made Vivitars are usually well built, but nothing special, optically. If you're interested in an older superzoom, the Kiron 28-200 is probably the best of them all. Well built and a surprisingly good optically. Attached is the Kiron 28-200, Vivitar (Kobori made) 28-105, and Kiron 28-105. I still haven't tested the Kobori 28-105, but I highly doubt it'll match the quality of the superb Kiron 28-105.

Kiron Kid

Last edited by Russ on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo the Kiron Kid on this one. IMO the DPReview thread on this lens is a bit optimistic. While I don't have the 28-200, I do own and use 28-70 and 28-85 Kobori made lenses. Good, but not outstanding.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the main thing is the versatility without the ugly purple flares of the 28-200 Tamron, so in this case the Vivitar comes out a clear winner - at least for now; it hasn't been tried in the sun yet. I shall keep an eye out for the Kiron though, so thanks for that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
For me, the main thing is the versatility without the ugly purple flares of the 28-200 Tamron, so in this case the Vivitar comes out a clear winner - at least for now; it hasn't been tried in the sun yet. I shall keep an eye out for the Kiron though, so thanks for that.

Which Tamron 28-200 are you referring to?

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
Farside wrote:

The 171A, LD (IF) 3.8-5.6
It might partially be sensor bloom, so that on a film cam it wouldn't occur. It might not even occur on another digicam - point, I haven't used it on the Canon. I'll also try it on film to see, sometime soon.
I had the Kobori out today, working hard, so I'll have a look at some proper results later on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Russ wrote:
Farside wrote:

The 171A, LD (IF) 3.8-5.6
It might partially be sensor bloom, so that on a film cam it wouldn't occur. It might not even occur on another digicam - point, I haven't used it on the Canon. I'll also try it on film to see, sometime soon.
I had the Kobori out today, working hard, so I'll have a look at some proper results later on.

Farside

The Tamron 28-200 #171A, is the first edition of that lens. I used to have it. I now shoot with the third edition (#A03-Aspherical XR IF). The following editions are considerably smaller, lighter and a bit sharper. And the fourth edition is optimized for digital. They are pretty good. Not professional caliber, but not dogs either.

http://shutterbug.com/equipmentreviews/lenses/1201sb_tamron/

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Russ. I'll keep an eye open for a later one. It's just a pity about the purple flare, because the IQ is tolerable if kept away from 200mm and wide open - I didn't expect it to be an SP but it's badly let down by this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Thanks for that, Russ. I'll keep an eye open for a later one. It's just a pity about the purple flare, because the IQ is tolerable if kept away from 200mm and wide open - I didn't expect it to be an SP but it's badly let down by this.

You can find the later versions quite cheap these days. And if you don't mind manual focus, give the Kiron 28-210 a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Russ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With mine the camera seems to over saturate, but the contrast seems to be fine. I have a half dozen or more lenses that are better than this one but they don't have quite the zoom range this one does. Not all camera lens combos work the same. I'm using a Pentax K10D and the Dynamic range and contrast may not match to your camera lens combination. As KK has said the Kiron 28-210 would be another good one to have....Now let's see if one is on EbaY RIGHT NOW..............

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
As KK has said the Kiron 28-210 would be another good one to have....Now let's see if one is on EbaY RIGHT NOW..............

You have to be kidding. Someone actually listens to my opinions? Smile

Kiron Kid (Russ & MrVivSeries1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
With mine the camera seems to over saturate, but the contrast seems to be fine. I have a half dozen or more lenses that are better than this one but they don't have quite the zoom range this one does. Not all camera lens combos work the same. I'm using a Pentax K10D and the Dynamic range and contrast may not match to your camera lens combination. As KK has said the Kiron 28-210 would be another good one to have....Now let's see if one is on EbaY RIGHT NOW..............

Same camera, but I keep the in-camera settings neutral, which hasn't been a problem so far. If I get into the habit of setting +1 contrast for this lens it'll do me ok.
I shot a couple of hundred frames yesterday and not a trace of purple on the ones I've looked at.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ...I always listen but don't always act on them...LOL Having a large and disperse group of lens means setting the camera at different settings and remembering what they need, but shooting in raw means doing the contrast or saturation changes in post processing instead of in camera. I shoot a lot of the old lens in Jpeg so the PP is kept to a minimum.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Russ...I always listen but don't always act on them...LOL Having a large and disperse group of lens means setting the camera at different settings and remembering what they need, but shooting in raw means doing the contrast or saturation changes in post processing instead of in camera. I shoot a lot of the old lens in Jpeg so the PP is kept to a minimum.

I agree. I'd much rather be behind the camera than a PC monitor.

Kiron Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar lens but Soligor brand with FD mount. Unfortunately, I only have Canon EOS, so it focuses very closely. I took one picture at 28mm 3.5 by attaching the lens to the camera mount and I am very surprised - it is at 3.5 very sharp.

28mm Wide Open 3.5, JPG from camera: