Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Going Medium Format - just ordered a Rollei - PHOTOS ADDED
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Going Medium Format - just ordered a Rollei - PHOTOS ADDED Reply with quote

I mentioned in another thread that I'm just starting a new job and having had to start investing in formal shirts and horror of horror ties I decided I needed to treat myself to something I wanted (hey I'm good at finding excuses for my purchases Smile ).

Now Laurence's wonderful TLR really grabbed my attention so despite less talent I thought I'd give medium format a try. The obvious choice was a relatively modern Yashica Mat but I'm an awkward sod and have always fancied a Rolleiflex. Sadly they were out of my budget but Rolleicords weren't...

I'm now awaiting delivery of a supposedly exceptionally good condition Rolleicord II type iii.

I'm excited!

Carl Zeiss Triotar (uncoated) lens which I suspect will need stopping down but these triplets seem to be capable of nice results.

Last edited by Richard_D on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, how exciting! Have you seen the Rollei Club site? http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tlr/info/rolleicord.shtml. Apparently the camera dates from 1938-1947. I'm really looking forward to hearing your report about it and seeing some fine pics.

Good luck with the new job Richard! I'm looking for one myself right now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! There's a steadily growing club of Medium Format regressives in here now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Congratulations! We are eagerly waiting with you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Congrats! There's a steadily growing club of Medium Format regressives in here now.

Some of us never went away.... Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice news Richard!
I wait to see the bokeh of the Zeiss triotar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Richard! Post some pics of the cam when it arrives! Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty!!
Well conserved, even the leather case is in excellent status!

Congrats!.
Now it's the time to show what you can do with it!... Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Looks pretty!!
Well conserved, even the leather case is in excellent status!

Congrats!.
Now it's the time to show what you can do with it!... Wink

Jes.

Thanks - I'm very pleased with the condition for a 1938 camera, and mechanically it seems perfectly sound. I've just dropped off a roll of colour print film as a first test. I'll get to see the results tomorrow. I know I've got at least one double exposure (the wind on and shutter aren't coupled so you need to use intelligence to avoid double exposures Wink ). The film advance counter/lock works well - set the start of the film with the red window then it will wind onto the next exposure, locking and tripping the counter until you release the winder for your next shot. Great fun to use.

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1938 Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
1938 Shocked

Well it could be early 1939 Wink

The model was only made for the two years and mine is towards the lower end of the serial numbers so it's near enough 70 years old. I don't think my D200 will still be working in 2078 somehow Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's a beauty!! Gorgeous!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D wrote:
Attila wrote:
1938 Shocked

Well it could be early 1939 Wink

The model was only made for the two years and mine is towards the lower end of the serial numbers so it's near enough 70 years old. I don't think my D200 will still be working in 2078 somehow Smile

There are many 70yr olds who wish they looked as good. Nice buy - be very interesting to see the output.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Richard, it's a beauty! Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wakes thread up*

So where are the results? I am considering to get something similar myself. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the wake-up - that is one gorgeous Rollei, and I really like the lenses from that era, they have a very good feel to the images.

I agree - So let's see some!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a shooter, Richard, congrats!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:
*wakes thread up*

So where are the results? I am considering to get something similar myself. Smile

There are a few in the gallery, but I've mainly been shooting slide and the commercial scans I had done were dire. It's either go back to print, buy a scanner or find an alternative company...