Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Paging 126 owners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Paging 126 owners Reply with quote

http://www.frugalphotographer.com/cat126.htm

Now I'm even thinking of getting one myself Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This old news, Dave, besides, when will you have time to use your
mama miya and P6? Wink Laughing

Have to admit, Larry certainly gives a compelling argument for such
procurement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Paging 126 owners Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

Couldn't hurt at all! Laughing

I'm telling you, this is a FUN format, and STILL viable since there is at least SOME film available.

If you get a chance, Dave, take a look at my recent posts with some good links.

Hey, yet another way to use photography! And why not? Even though the original premise behind 126 photo equipment was "simple photography for the masses", a lot of it turned into some very professional offerings! I mean, that Kodak Instamatic 500 with Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar lens was no small potatoes!

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
This old news, Dave, besides, when will you have time to use your
mama miya and P6? Wink Laughing

Have to admit, Larry certainly gives a compelling argument for such
procurement.

And it's dirt cheap, relatively speaking.

Even the Ferrania film isn't that bad. Coincidentally, I scanned a Ferrania negative last night, and here it is completely untouched.

Sure, it could probably use color tweaks and various Photoshop things, but I frankly think the Ferrania is "dissed" unfairly at times.

In fact, here's what I'll do -- I'll post this "raw" Ferrania image as it came out of the camera and auto-settings with the scanner, right here. Tomorrow or so, I'll push the image through Photoshop and "tweak it up" with saturation, unsharp mask, levels, etc., and we'll see if I can make it into a highly acceptable image.

I see issues here of course (reds and blues will need work). But again, even this untouched image is not bad for Ferrania coming out of a 126 cartridge. Confused

And one also needs to keep in mind that this is TOUGH lighting. The little waterfall surrounded by such a large range of darks and brights is a hellish undertaking for ANY lens and film. in my little opinion. Neutral

Contaflex 126
Zeiss Tessar 45/2.8
1/30th, f:4
Solaris Ferrania Cartridge Film ASA200
Unretouched Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Gorgeous shot, Larry!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot Larry!

I just realized that if we go by Larry's recent photos, he obviously lives on some deserted tropical island with lots of jungle and beaches. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Paging 126 owners Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

The funny thing about the little ZeissIkon is that as you shoot, something in you says shoot more - Its that fun!

The joke is that with the exception of my Mom's ZeissIkomatic F I thought most instamatics were crap - I guess this where a joke pleasantly backfires, eh?

jim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Paging 126 owners Reply with quote

j.lukow wrote:

The joke is that with the exception of my Mom's ZeissIkomatic F I thought most instamatics were crap - I guess this where a joke pleasantly backfires, eh?

jim

I have a nostalgic affection for the Instamatics, as one of them was the first camera I actually owned as a kid - a fairly basic model, but produced pictures that, while wouldn't be anything to write home about now, were acceptable to me then. By quality lens standards, they could be considered crap, but in their day they weren't all that bad and did a fairly good job for what they were. Kodak were always pretty good at producing adequate lenses for their target market and it was fairly easy to work within the lens's limitations.

I've been thinking of building a small collection of cameras that I've owned or used but lost, sold, or given away over the years. I might start with one of them and an upmarket version.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I can't find that ZeissIkomatic F - guess it got lost in a move Mad

I might have to reaquire one Wink

Jim