Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super Takumar 1.4 / 50mm tests
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Super Takumar 1.4 / 50mm tests Reply with quote

Here are a few shots - I'd be grateful for some critiques of the lens (rather than the subject matter but feel free....) lol

Thanks,

Doug

http://www.pbase.com/nemesis101/takumar_50mm_f14

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo!

Great lens, great pictures, like the 28mm (I tested yesterday).
Pentax has a homogen quality, I think.

Which aperture do you use ?

I believe, the 5,6 is the best.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

It actually was 5.6! The exif data perished as the only image software I had insisted on taking the raw to jpg by discarding the exif! When I get the chance I will redo the pics using Photoshop and then I will have the exif back!

padiej wrote:
Hallo!

Great lens, great pictures, like the 28mm (I tested yesterday).
Pentax has a homogen quality, I think.

Which aperture do you use ?

I believe, the 5,6 is the best.

regards Peter

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first, let's get the photographer test out of the way: you're good! I especially like the rusty gear stuff, not just as photographs (and now to the lens test part) but in my eye these contain much of the essential goodness of the Takumar. This essential goodness has to do with good detail and contrast, a vibrancy of colors especially in the yellow-brown-reds (again this is my own experience finding something in your pics), and a tidy way with blur.

The photographer is wise not to have taken shots to torture his Takumar with things the Takumar might not be as happy about... things that cause CA even with the super multi coating... The photographer has an excellent sample of a 50/1.4, and the reviewer wishes to know: Super, Super-Mult-Coated, or SMC?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Thanks - details as requested! Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind remarks! The lens in question is a Super Takumar 1:1.4 / 50mm serial number 1840880. It says nothing about SMC and given its M42 heritage I suspect that it isn't though it does have a very slight straw / yellowish tinge, which may well be the dreaded discoloration beloved of these lenses. I would expose it to strong sunlight, which conventional wisdom says will reverse this, but sadly, as I live in the Pacific North-West, sunlight in any quantity is a tale told to children, as I believe Lawrence and other fellow west-coasters might verify? lol

Doug.

Nesster wrote:
first, let's get the photographer test out of the way: you're good! I especially like the rusty gear stuff, not just as photographs (and now to the lens test part) but in my eye these contain much of the essential goodness of the Takumar. This essential goodness has to do with good detail and contrast, a vibrancy of colors especially in the yellow-brown-reds (again this is my own experience finding something in your pics), and a tidy way with blur.

The photographer is wise not to have taken shots to torture his Takumar with things the Takumar might not be as happy about... things that cause CA even with the super multi coating... The photographer has an excellent sample of a 50/1.4, and the reviewer wishes to know: Super, Super-Mult-Coated, or SMC?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about the tint with digital - the auto color temp takes care of it. My Super is VERY tinted, and it works fine, even with film. Actually I like the effect Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surpraises, sure you know
The lens is wonderfull
The pictures too.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemesis / Doug
Good test series - rust is always a fun subject, but the texture usually pushes a lens. I would have guessed that more than one of those shots was wider than 5.6. Looks like a very respectable lens indeed. What was the camera used? Where in OR? And you are quite right about the sun so far this year, it has been mainly lacking. Right now I am listening to thunder ready to depart to lake of the Woods tomorrow for a week Cool Cool

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Location Reply with quote

Hi! The location is the logging camp (sign shown in one of the shots.) It's down the highway leading from Portland to Seaside... about 18-20 miles from the coast. There are some fabulous old bits of logging machinery, cables, a loco and much else.. as well as a great restaurant built in a huge (largest I've been in) log 'cabin'... well worth a visit at any time of the year - I also have many shots of the rusty stuff against pristine snow - now that taxes an exposure system1 One (the one with exif intact) was at great than 5.6 the rest were not - as on my K10D with the M42 adapter the lens does not mount 'at 12 o'clock' so though I thought I had a greater aperture I didn't in fact! lol

http://www.traveloregon.com/Explore-Oregon/Oregon-Coast/Places-to-Dine/American/Logging-Camp-18.aspx

Doug.

patrickh wrote:
Nemesis / Doug
Good test series - rust is always a fun subject, but the texture usually pushes a lens. I would have guessed that more than one of those shots was wider than 5.6. Looks like a very respectable lens indeed. What was the camera used? Where in OR? And you are quite right about the sun so far this year, it has been mainly lacking. Right now I am listening to thunder ready to depart to lake of the Woods tomorrow for a week Cool Cool

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Seaside is a lot fun, too! Those are some gorgeous shots, Doug! Luv
the azalea pics!

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cool i have 2 copies one in 100% and the other w/ markes on back glass Sad i have not gotten the adapter as of yeat.

when it ranes it pores lol i was looking for a M or A 1.4 well i ended up with 5
2 MD Rokkor-x 50 1.4 ( i do not use Minolta they just came with other stuff so they are just sitting around) Pentax-M 50 1.4 and the 2 super-tankmars LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Only Five? lol Reply with quote

I began with one 50mm - the FA 1.4 on the K10D (Autofocus I know but...) then came the Fujinon, then the Yashica, then the Mamiya, then the Konica, then the Takumar(s) then.. you see the way this is going? I now have 13... so must get at least one more or??? lol

Then of course I bought another thinking that it would be M42 but no... it was from a family that produced both M42 and proprietary mounts.. (bit like Pentax with their M42 and K mount series) so.. I had to but a manual camera to go with my new lens... That was FATAL as I then got the manual camera bug... First a Mamiya, Then 7 (yes seven now) Konicas as their lenses are Soooooooooooooooooooo cool, then a Ricoh, then a Fujica then a Canon T90 which started me on FD lenses that can't even be adapted to either my K10D or my Panasonic Lumix L-1) which was the start of four Canon bodies and 7 Canon lenses.

I now have 13 manual SLR's 6 auto-focus 35mm ones and 3 digital ones... HELP!!! (Oh, and did I mention 14 Adaptall lenss, with 8 adapters) and 31 lenses in all... Bummer now I'll have to move as room has run out... (still there may be room to set up the Gandolfi camera I acquired in the 60's in the UK) lol

Bloody Hell - I forgot the rangefinders (5) and the folders like my Nagen - Retina series.. another 6 and... Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh Takes so long fettling and dusting I no longer have time for taking pictures anymore but the kit's immaculate... Oh and the two TLR's...

nathancombs wrote:
ok cool i have 2 copies one in 100% and the other w/ markes on back glass Sad i have not gotten the adapter as of yeat.

when it ranes it pores lol I was looking for a M or A 1.4 well i ended up with 5
2 MD Rokkor-x 50 1.4 ( i do not use Minolta they just came with other stuff so they are just sitting around) Pentax-M 50 1.4 and the 2 super-tankmars LOL
Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Only Five? lol Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
then a Canon T90 which started me on FD lenses that can't even be adapted to either my K10D or my Panasonic Lumix L-1) which was the start of four Canon bodies and 7 Canon lenses.

Now you'll just have to buy an Olympus 4/3rds camera, just to use them on digital... got no choice.

Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Only Five? lol Reply with quote

I have the Panasonic L-1 which has the 4/3rd mount, and a couple of Pentax DSLR's which can take 90% of them, and the adapters too - hence my tryout pages on Pbase! I can't use the FD lenes though... Sad There is a with glass adapter for the EOS but nothing for mine.. Sad

Doug

Farside wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:
then a Canon T90 which started me on FD lenses that can't even be adapted to either my K10D or my Panasonic Lumix L-1) which was the start of four Canon bodies and 7 Canon lenses.

Now you'll just have to buy an Olympus 4/3rds camera, just to use them on digital... got no choice.

Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look and there's everything to 4/3rds except FD. Damn, I'm sure I saw one a few months ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: FD - 4/3 Reply with quote

If you find one you will be my hero! I have trawled e-bay, Googled and everything else but no joy to date! Odd as the 4/3 with its limited lens - plane setup would be one of the few that could accommodate them?

oh well.. if you do succeed please buzz me!

Doug.

Farside wrote:
Just had a look and there's everything to 4/3rds except FD. Damn, I'm sure I saw one a few months ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: FD - 4/3 Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
If you find one you will be my hero! I have trawled e-bay, Googled and everything else but no joy to date! Odd as the 4/3 with its limited lens - plane setup would be one of the few that could accommodate them?

Doug.

Farside wrote:

Doug, our member VGR (from Russia) is able to supply an adapter for 4/3 that will take any bayonet mount lens including Canon FD, complete with a Dandelion AF-confirm chip. The link to his site is on the MFLenses homepage, but here is a direct link to the adapter:
http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=311

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: FD - 4/3 Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

Doug, our member VGR (from Russia) is able to supply an adapter for 4/3 that will take any bayonet mount lens including Canon FD, complete with a Dandelion AF-confirm chip. The link to his site is on the MFLenses homepage, but here is a direct link to the adapter:

(slaps forehead)
Of course! Doh! How could I forget that?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: FD - 4/3 Reply with quote

Hi, Yes I know of that one - but it does not allow infinity focus, which is a bit of a bugger? The glassed adapters for the EOS do!

Most of my FD lenses are teles so infinity is a bit important, it's not as if I do much FD macro work, when I have Takumar, Tamron and Kiron and Hexanon lenses that WILL fit the Pentax K10D and Panasonic!

Thanks anyway,

Doug.

peterqd wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:

Doug.

Farside wrote: