Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Medium format lens on 35mm camera?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Medium format lens on 35mm camera? Reply with quote

I'm wondering how well medium format lenses work on 35mm film and digital cameras. Has anyone here tried this? Most of the comments I can find on the subject on the Internet seem to be from people who have never tried it, but have strong opinions anyway. Some people say it works very well because you are only using the sharpest part of the lens. Others say it works poorly because medium format lenses supposedly aren't are sharp as 35mm lenses.

--Geoff

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geoff,
I love mine. I started with just a Mamiya 645 and the 80mm lens on my Nikkormat with an adapter and it was so nice for me that I quickly got a 55mm, 150mm and 210mm and am looking for a 35mm lens.

Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.pbase.com/patrickth/image/94305038

http://www.pbase.com/patrickth/image/95701706

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF lenses don't need to be as sharp as 35mm lenses to get more detail from the same field of view, since to get the same field of view they use a longer focal length and greater imaging area.

In any, I can't think of any MF lenses that wont work on a 35mm or APS-C camera, as all the examples I can think of have much greater registration distances to the imaging plane than 35mm and APS-C bodies, meaning all you need is an adapter to make up the difference in registration distances Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Medium format lens on 35mm camera? Reply with quote

gcrimmins wrote:
I'm wondering how well medium format lenses work on 35mm film and digital cameras. Has anyone here tried this? Most of the comments I can find on the subject on the Internet seem to be from people who have never tried it, but have strong opinions anyway. Some people say it works very well because you are only using the sharpest part of the lens. Others say it works poorly because medium format lenses supposedly aren't are sharp as 35mm lenses.

Opinions are like assholes - but ask anyone who's actually done it and you get an affirmative answer. Some of us here do it and are happy enough with the results.
As a starting point, try a Pentacon Six lens with an adapter for your camera - you'll be surprised at the outcome. I suggest the P6 because the lenses for that system are a fair bit cheaper but every bit as good as the more expensive MedFrmt systems, especially if you buy Zeiss. Most of the Russian P6 glass is good too, but beware of buying a Kiev 88 lens as the mount is problematic.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all Carl Zeiss Jena lenses in P6 mount, they are good on 35mm as any 35mm lens what made by Carl Zeiss Jena.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickth wrote:
Hi Geoff,
I love mine. I started with just a Mamiya 645 and the 80mm lens on my Nikkormat with an adapter and it was so nice for me that I quickly got a 55mm, 150mm and 210mm and am looking for a 35mm lens.

Image inlining is disabled for new users, as an anti-spam measure. So post more Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ChrisLilley"]
patrickth wrote:
Hi Geoff,

Image inlining is disabled for new users, as an anti-spam measure. So post more Smile

Thanks, I could see it on the edit but not on the post. Was wondering whats up with that....................

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great examples! Many thanks for sharing! Nice to see you here!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome patrickth

Smile Smile Smile patrickh

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Welcome patrickth

Smile Smile Smile patrickh

Thanks to all. If you go to that same place on pbase and go to the emmabee folder, all of those were taken with Mamiya mf lens on nikkormat bodies.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone for the replies and to patrickth for the photos. It looks like MF lenses work well on a 35mm cameras. It's at least worth the cost of an adapter so I can give it a try. I'll have to post some photos after I try it. Thanks,

--Geoff

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Zeiss Sonnar 180/2.8 in P6 format which I use on my nikkors with an adapter - works like a charm.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had too a CZJ Sonnar 180/2.8 in P6 mount.
Beautiful optic.