Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MC80 or MC35 at rugift.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: MC80 or MC35 at rugift. Reply with quote

I checked the rugift lenses out. There are two tilt/shift lenses named MC80 and MC35. Anyone tested these? Do they operate well with bellows?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Arax 35 Tilt&Shift lens, which is the same lens as the "MC 35" sold on the Rugift website. It is made by Arax in Ukraine and is based on the Arsat 35/2.8 shift only lens. Hartblei sells the more expensive Super-Rotator, which comprises the same optical unit in an unique rotating mount.

It's a good lens, a bit soft wide open. That's normal, as this 35mm lens was designed as a superwide lens for 4.5x6 format and F/2.8 is quite a stretch for a superwide on medium format. The lens becomes quite sharp from F/5.6 onwards. You can find some samples in this thread, this other thread, this third thread and on that site.

I think the price of this lens has become much too expensive. I bought my Arax 35 for $325 in 2006. Today, the price has more than doubled: $625 on Rugift and $685 when bought directly from Arax! Except if you need this lens professionally, I would recommend you buy a tilt or shift adapter from Arax and some good Zeiss glass in Pentacon Six mount to put on the adapter.

The "MC80" sold by Rugift is in fact an Arsat 80/2.8 lens (available new here) put on a custom tilt & shift mount by Arax. You can buy the plain Arsat lens in Pentacon Six mount from Rugift ($149) with the shift ($85) and tilt ($129) adapters from Arax for a total of $363. It will deliver the same results as the $425 specialized lens. And if you add a $200 Zeiss Flektogon 50/4 lens bought on eBay, you will have a two lens tilt & shift set for less than the price of the 35mm T&S alone...

About your point concerning bellows, I guess you can use these lenses with bellows but I have never tried with mine, as the lens is already heavy and clumsy enough on its own Laughing.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a long and informative post. Much appreciated.

What I basically want to do is to get as great DOF as possible with bellows and extensions. Looks to me from your links that it is a tilt adaptor I would want from that. I am all new to bellows and tilt/shift.

Maybe I should get one of the tilt adaptors and a cheap lens to try it. Are there no tilt adaptor that take M42 lenses that can be recommended?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zewrak wrote:
Thanks for a long and informative post. Much appreciated.

You're most welcome.

zewrak wrote:
What I basically want to do is to get as great DOF as possible with bellows and extensions. Looks to me from your links that it is a tilt adaptor I would want from that. I am all new to bellows and tilt/shift.

Maybe I should get one of the tilt adaptors and a cheap lens to try it. Are there no tilt adaptor that take M42 lenses that can be recommended?

I think plain tilt adapters were never made for M42 lenses, just because these lenses do not have enough covering power to allow movements at infinity on a 35mm camera. Also the small registration distance of the lenses would not allow to retain infinity focusing with a tilt adapter inserted in the light path. There are some expensive tilting bellows designed to use 35mm lenses but for macro photography only. Please refer to this thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/which-macro-bellows-tilt-t6297.html#51856

The cheapest way to try tilt photography is to buy a tilt adapter and a Vega-12 lens from Arax. This kit will cost you less than $200 and should produce great results. I see no reason why it couldn't be used with additional tubes or a bellows for macro. If you like what you see, you could always buy more expensive gear later to improve ease of use.

Cheers!

Abbazz