Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which macro bellows tilt?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Which macro bellows tilt? Reply with quote

I'm looking for some macro bellows, and thought it might be useful to find one that tilts. I would be adapting the bellows to work on Canon FD film cameras and/or Canon EOS digital cameras. It looks like the Nikon PB-4 and Contax bellows both tilt and shift. Are there any others? Thanks,

--Geoff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gcrimmins,
don't forget that you need a 105mm to reach infinite and more to tilt.
everything bellow can only be used for macro
With the rodagon 75 you will be limited to take pics of object smaller than 10 cm
for architectural shot better look for a tilt lens or maybe a special adapter for p6
The PB-4 and Contax bellows are heavy and are difficult to use outside.
You have to thing what application you want to try otherwise you will buy tools you will never use.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a novoflex with 40 and 105mm lenses in mint for just over 100 bucks - just find something that ends at some absurd hour in the morning and try and snipe it?

Doug

PS Also got some bellows and slide copier which work well and were pretty inexpensive at 60 bucks?

Ebay item 280199283874

Doug

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is quite a unique bellows which came in different mounts and was sold by hama, but also others. Very universal, but the lens should not be too heavy.

Shows up on ebay from time to time, but prices skyrocket for that type.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...forgot, there is also the Minolta Auto Bellows III with tilt/shift which should be mentioned. ebay 190204176265 (ended) for pictures

There are also converted versions on the market, like for Leica-R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
...forgot, there is also the Minolta Auto Bellows III with tilt/shift which should be mentioned. ebay 190204176265 (ended) for pictures

There are also converted versions on the market, like for Leica-R

The Minolta Auto Bellows III and the Contax Tilt/Shift bellows are essentially the same bellows (except for the mounts) with the same possibilities and limitations. They offer only tilt and shift with the front standard (where the lens is mounted on) and tilt or swing in one axis. When closed it is about 4cm thick and you need to extend the bellows a little in order to use swing or shift. So if you want infinity focus you need either a bellows 100mm (auto-bellows Rokkor or S-Planar f.i.) or an enlarging lens such as a 105mm Rodagon. For added flexibility you could rotate the front standard and mount a lens between the bellows and the front standard with a reverse ring and some lighttight tape between the lens and the bellows. Then the minimum total extension between camera and lens is only about 2,5cm.

The Hama/Spiratone/whatever name tilt shift bellows has far more possibilities, tilting and shifting on both standards in both axis. If you find a good example it will be quite sturdy when and only when all the little knobs are tightened. As Klaus's picture shows the L-standards are both on the righthand side. The rear standard interferes with most modern DSLRs handgrip, requiring an extra extension tube for enough clearance. I've modified my bellows by reversing the rear standard so less extension is needed. I am aware of two varieties of this bellows, regardless of its maker's name. One has a proprietary system of interchangeable lens mounts with flanges, the other has T2 mounts. By removing the front mount you may find an internal T mount which may allow you to mount enlarger lenses deeper into the bellows, i.e. with less extension.

The Hama bellows are hard to find and expensive (if I were to sell mine it would be for a considerable price). The Contax ones are also quite pricey, the Minolta ones are more reasonable, but require a thicker adapter to mount to Eos cameras. The Contax/Minolta bellows are more simple in construction and easier to use in the field. I've got one of my Minolta Auto Bellows III for sale.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome dick
thanks for your valuable information
do you use the tilt/shift and have you some samples to show us

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEP Anker made a T&S bellows in m42 and exakta mount in the sixties if I remember. Very hard to find.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Examples Reply with quote

Some dumb tests, coins flat on the table, camera pointing 45 degrees downwards. Scheimpflug to get it sharp; otherwise identical f-stop.

Hope that helps....

Cheers,