Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Brand Company 4 x 5 upgrade and film back questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Brand Company 4 x 5 upgrade and film back questions Reply with quote

I purchased this old thing off the auction site for a hundred and a quarter. Bellows were light tight but outer layer corners were starting to show damage. I decided to coat it with spray on sealant. The ground glass was OK. I also noticed that all of the fittings were coated in a fine white powder. My chemistry says it was likely zinc oxide from the plated machine screws. I decided to upgrade so I went through and replaced all the screws with stainless. I also countersunk the fitting where appropriate. Came out looking OK in my opinion. Now to try my 1st attempts at large format. I already had a couple of lenses to try. The componon was already in an appropriate board so I put that on, knowing full well it would vignette bad. I also have an ICA Litonar 150mm 4.5 in shutter but no board. I have one on order but hasn't come in yet. I also bought this Graflex holder with darkslide [it was the cheapest on ebay] but it confuses me. It came with 10 sheets of Kodak Tri-X pan already installed. I'm not really sure how the thing works. I was hoping to maybe try the Tri-x so I'm reluctant to just open it up and explore. Any hints appreciated. I did purchase some new Ilford b & w 400 to try when I'm a little more comfortable with the procedures.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took the the exposure table some user had pasted on the holder and it turns out to be the Graphic Film Pack Adapter. A technology that is now no longer practical. Kodak stopped making filmpacks for them in 1992 or so. I've wasted 13 dollars dammit! Ah well, live and learn. When I researched the camera I missed the post from a decade ago luisalegria. Did you ever use the thing? I also remembered that I had a Componon 180 5.6. Cells swapped right into the shutter I had. I have orded some proper Riteway film holders from a nearby source PacificRimPhotography. Monday or Tues I plan to try it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Well I took the the exposure table some user had pasted on the holder and it turns out to be the Graphic Film Pack Adapter. A technology that is now no longer practical. Kodak stopped making filmpacks for them in 1992 or so. I've wasted 13 dollars dammit! Ah well, live and learn. When I researched the camera I missed the post from a decade ago luisalegria. Did you ever use the thing? I also remembered that I had a Componon 180 5.6. Cells swapped right into the shutter I had. I have orded some proper Riteway film holders from a nearby source PacificRimPhotography. Monday or Tues I plan to try it.

I don't have one of the filmpacks but I read a bit about them when I started to get interested in 4x5 and I have a notion they're reloadable, so once you get into using it, you can re-use it time and again. Also ringing a bell is the life expectancy of the seperators within it, not sure how many times they'll put up with being used.
Given the paper seperators are now at least 30 years old, I wouldn't hope for too much.