Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Retina lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Retina lenses Reply with quote

I bought a Retina reflexIII from a fellow last year. It came complete with Sneider lenses: Curtagon 2.8/35, Xenon 1.9/50, and tele Xenar 4/135. The whole kit is minty fresh and I have put a few rolls thrue. Lately I have noticed adapters available for these lenses to Eos. HK seller "big is" sells one for $115 up to two times that amount for a cameraquest model.

Does anyone have an experience, comment, or opinion. Is it worth it to get the adapter. Mostly I am interested in using the Curtagon. Question

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a Curtagon 35/2.8 in m42 mount with half the cost of that gold-plated adapter.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still shoot film, so mine get used on the Retina Reflex-S and Rangefindeer IIIS.

The Xenon is superb, the Curtagon is on par with a Canon 35/2.8 of the same era. The Tele-Xenar is good, on par with a 13.5/4.5 Hektar. It's weak-spot is the 14ft minimum focus.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have are Schneider lenses. Super sharps and very good mechanical. The 2,8/35 is a traditional curtagon design (6 elements) and the same lens that the schn did for edixa. The xenon 1,9/50 is a planar design with excelent contrast and sharpness, and better than the other schneider normal for the retinas, the xenar 2,8/50 (tessar design), Rodenstock did a normal too, the heliogon 2/50 (the xenon that you have is better) and the isarex (2,8/50). The tele-xenar 4/135 is a sonnar design with 4 elements, the same as for edixa, and is very good lens.
If you can, try this lenses (for retinas too) curtagon 4/28, rotelar 4/80 or 85, 4/90, and tele xenar 4,8/200 a monster of splendid glass.
All are chrome version (except the 1,9/50, 4/135 and 4,8/200 that came in black too).
The lenses for Voigtlanser bessamatic and ultramatic, with little retouch, can be use in the retina system
Great cameras. Good luck and shoots.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Retina lenses Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

Does anyone have an experience, comment, or opinion. Is it worth it to get the adapter. Mostly I am interested in using the Curtagon. Question

I have similar - Bessamatic with 50/2.8 Color-Skopar (x2), Super Dynarex 135/4 and two Retina lenses - Curtagon 28/4 and Tele Xenar 135/4. I intend to run some film through the Bessamatic soon just to see how good they are. I've put off buying an adapter so far, as the price is a bit steep, imo, and converting each lens individually would be a pita.
I bought the Bessamatic to cannibalise its mount, but it was too good to break up and I don't like destroying a working camera. If I found another old wrecked one I'd do that.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, everything works beautiful! I got infinity and the adapter itself simulates the aperture control as the back of the lens fits into the adapter and gives linkage to the blades. So the adapter gives a control ring replicating your aperture to open or stop down the blades. I hope that was clear... as I’m at work. Don’t tell anybody!
Addendum, This adapter seems a quality piece of work and good weight; I believe it the same as the Cameraquest adapter at half price.

Last edited by Bruce on Sat May 24, 2008 2:38 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside
If you can find the lens Skopagon 2/40 made by voigtlander for the bessamatic line, try this. Is a wonderfull 40 mm. lens with 8 (yes, eight) elements, very very sharp, great contrast and"0" distortion.
It's the best of the serie. Near, the septon 2/50 (7 element similar design of hasselblad's planar, it's really) this was the normal lens for bessamatic CS and ultramatics.
Had you use the "portraits lens" attachment with your 4/135? It reduce the nearest point to focus from 4 m. to 2 m - with the portrait 2 -
Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce
Does the adapter works as it should? Aperture opens and closes well, infinity, etc. My experience with Roxsen has been 1.5 out of 5 (pretty much shit). It would be nice to hear they get it right sometimes. This seems like a complicated adapter with moving parts. Could you explain how the Aperture is activated?

Thanks
Andy

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Farside
If you can find the lens Skopagon 2/40 made by voigtlander for the bessamatic line, try this. Is a wonderfull 40 mm. lens with 8 (yes, eight) elements, very very sharp, great contrast and"0" distortion.
It's the best of the serie. Near, the septon 2/50 (7 element similar design of hasselblad's planar, it's really) this was the normal lens for bessamatic CS and ultramatics.

I'll keep a lookout for that, but it depends on the price, of course.

Quote:

Had you use the "portraits lens" attachment with your 4/135? It reduce the nearest point to focus from 4 m. to 2 m - with the portrait 2 -
Good luck.

Interesting you should say that... I've just discovered these on ebaby
Click here to see on Ebay

but without the Voigtlander catalog I have no clue what close-up lenses they are.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, everything works beautiful! I got infinity and the adapter itself simulates the aperature control as the back of the lens fits into the adapter and gives linkage to the blades. So the adapter gives a control ring replicating your aperature to open or stop down the blades. Hope that was clear... as Im at work. Dont tell anybody!

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside
In Ebay you have Focars, the close up lenses for the normal lenses with 40,5. This is the diameter of the 135 mm too. But for this lens, the especific close up attachments are the "portrait" 0 and 2. With single coated - yellow and blue reflections and better quality than the focars.
A 20 years ago I was a Voigtlander collector (only couldn't get a super dinarex 5,6/300, but I had all the rest of lenses and cameras) and I can't remember more, sorry. Good lock.