Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

E
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: E Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's not: 8/800mm T2 model?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything specific about the subject lens, but I do have some pricing info on it and on the 800mm f/8 preset. So it would appear that both focal lengths exist. My reference also has the suffix "SL" associated with both lenses. This is an old listing but the prices are probably still close to today's market value.

600mm f/8 SL Preset: Exc., 350-400 USD
800mm f/8 SL Preset: Exc., 425-550 USD

I did a bit of searching, and came across some info, including a thread here at MF Lenses on a Tokina-made Hanimex:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=20103

Does yours look like this one?

Chances are, the 800mm uses the same base tube with a different "head." A fairly common construction back then. I've seen Vivitar 400/600/800 "heads" that shared the same base. Even owned a couple back in the day. Their performance was just acceptable. They may well have been made by Tokina too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this for sale too, and I have tried for it a couple of times.
I did have and try the Kawanon-made lens of similar specs but quite different appearance.

The Tokina made one is in its way more interesting as it has an external post and V aiming sight, like a rifle sight, for helping in pointing this at the "target", which is actually a useful thing on this type of lens !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have this lens for about half a year. I read somewhere that there are 2 versions. The newer one is the one that can detached into 2 pieces for easy storage and portability. Mine is the second version but the lens did not come with the gun sight which would have been useful.

Two pieces for easy portability.

Fully set up and attached to my Canon 600D. Tamron SP 60-300mm for reference.

I found this 1974 brochure giving a bit of details on the 600mm and 800mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sample photos (about 50% crop) from my copy.

So what about the lens?

It is a nicely constructed lens. Weight distribution is good.

Shooting wise you will need a tripod. And focusing is difficult as the lens is slow. On my smallish viewfinder, it's hard to see if the subject is in focus. I rely on a programmable M42 chip and I did a micro focus calibration on it and when used with this lens, my success rates increases. I will also rely Magic Lantern's focus peaking on some occasions.

My personal experience is that a little bit of misfocus and you have a slight blurness to the pictures so the trick is to take more images.

Sharpness is OK not fantastic not poor. But for the reach that it gives me when shooting birds, nothing beats USD49.90 (excluding shipping).

Like all old lenses, it suffers from CA in difficult situations but that's easily corrected in PS.

Anyway, good luck with your bid!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow great to see some samples dualmp! Looks sharp enough to me, great skills Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernhardas/9157531474/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernhardas/9157532496/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernhardas/9155305977/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernhardas/9157531982/in/photostream/

I used the URL tags instead of the img, I tried to edit in your post but it did not work. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Thanks Mo,

I really can not figure out why the uploads do not work for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I got mine as well Reply with quote

Here you go

bernhardas wrote:
It is in two pieces, has the aim in front and a little lever that can be attached to the focusing unit to focus easier.
The lever is very welcome as the focus is a bit tough going at the long end. Short end is OK.

Had a few sample pictures today. It is very important to focus very carefully. The minimum focus distance is 10m. that is quite far.

Here are some pictures (all at 11) :

#1 cropped and processed

#2 not sharpened

#3 not sharpened

#4 crop not sharpened

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice crop composition, bernhardas.

This lens is very usable if focus is spot on.
For closer focusing, i will add a short extension tube.

Hope to see more samples from you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dualmp wrote:
Hi, I have this lens for about half a year. I read somewhere that there are 2 versions. The newer one is the one that can detached into 2 pieces for easy storage and portability. Mine is the second version but the lens did not come with the gun sight which would have been useful.

You'll note the two small screws at the very front section of your lens. This is where the gunsight was. Somebody removed it. I've seen this before with these old lenses.

The example photos indicate a respectably sharp lens. The 600s and 800s I owned back when I used to buy and sell photo gear didn't impress me. But I was just shooting test shots, probably with cheap print film. BTW, the two-piece lenses, when new, came in a case that held the lens broken down into two pieces. Did you get the case with yours?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Thanks Mo,

I really can not figure out why the uploads do not work for me.

Flickr has been awkward about hot-linking for years. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:

Flickr has been awkward about hot-linking for years. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.

I think this is because of shifting policy over the years vis-a-vis free accounts vs. paid ones. I used to have a free account at flickr, and I remember being able to link images, then suddenly I couldn't anymore, and it was because flickr had changed up the way they could be accessed. Free accounts couldn't link images, but paid accounts could. Now that I finally broke down and subscribe to flickr, I'm able to link images again. Linked from my flickr account:

Red Holly Berries, "Last Roll of Kodachrome," Canon F-1, Tamron 90mm f/2.5 Macro, Kodachrome 64

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try to reload a picture with the upload button.
First time a new member tries to upload a picture, there's a spam protection and picture doesn't appear.

If it still doesn't work, beware the size and weight of your picture. You could possibly have to resize it.

Welcome. Smile

Edit : there seems to have a problem with your posts. I asl Attila to look why.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Farside and Cooltouch,

Thanks for your replies

The reason why I tried the flicker route, is that I do not seem to be able to get the "normal" picture upload to work.
Tried the Upload button and the Drag and Drop and variations of editing the HTML text.

Can it be that my account is still classified as "new"?
How many posts does one need for pics to show up ?

Now that flickr has really messed up the way photos are displayed, it takes a few mouse clicks to get where you want to be to see if they will display here. Try this:

First click on the photo you want to view here. Then right click on it. Then select "Original" and left click on it. Then right click, select "View image" and then left click on URL displayed in your URL bar. Come back to mflenses and paste that url between the (img) brackets. Yes, it's complicated, but that's what I had to do to get my image above to display. See if it works for you.

Or, you can do it the flikr way, and grab the HTML/BBC code for the item, by clicking on the link down in the lower right of the screen. For example, here's one of my flickr photos:

Mustang SP Race Car by cooltouch, on Flickr

Which is generated by inserting this code into your message (I deleted the front bracket and the (img) in brackets from the code so it would show): url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/11308754@N08/3427560831/]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3542/3427560831_67a8074a45.jpg[/url]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11308754@N08/3427560831/]Mustang SP Race Car[/url] by cooltouch, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
dualmp wrote:

You'll note the two small screws at the very front section of your lens. This is where the gunsight was. Somebody removed it. I've seen this before with these old lenses.

The example photos indicate a respectably sharp lens. The 600s and 800s I owned back when I used to buy and sell photo gear didn't impress me. But I was just shooting test shots, probably with cheap print film. BTW, the two-piece lenses, when new, came in a case that held the lens broken down into two pieces. Did you get the case with yours?

No. Sadly mine did not come with the case (or the gunsight). Luckily the lens itself is ok.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
Mine came in a nice carry bag with three styrofoam parts.
The parts are cut out so that the two lens parts get stored on top of each other.
It ha s the size of a medium small photo bag

I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Can you post some pictures of the lens?

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, I have the same lens since ages. However, I rarely use it as it is not handy at all and my Minolta 500mm f/8 RF Rokkor is far better. The difference of 100mm in focus length is not dramatic. The weakness of the Tokina is the rather low contrast compared to the Minolta lens and of course the different overall length of the two lenses make it relatively clear which one to take for a photo excursion.
However, maybe I will try it some times again and post some results over here. This is no promise. Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for something longer than 300mm for birds at a budget. I big on a vivatar 600mm f8 on eBay trying to decide if I should keep on the auction or not.