Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujinon-TV 1.8/75 on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Fujinon-TV 1.8/75 on NEX-3 Reply with quote

I really like this lens, small like a J11 and with fantastic build quality, has a deep built-in hood and take 49mm filters.

Sharp even wide open with very smooth bokeh, high contrast and saturated colours, I particularly like it for portraits wide open.

None of these samples have had any PP:

Wide open:

100% crop:

Wide open:

100% crop:

Wide open:

100% crop:

Wide open, shows the smoothness of the oof rendering:

100% crop:

f8:

f8:

f8:

100% crop:

f8:

100% crop, this is very sharp imho and the lack of CA is also impressive:

Same 100% crop but with tweak to contrast and sharpened, I think this is an excellent result for a 1980s C-mount lens:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Seems to be a nice glas!
(And a nice car BTW!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Carsten, good light certainly helped.

The car is a 1955 Rover P4, my dad's pride and joy, he's fully restored it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best Rovers ever made. What a fine job he made of it.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Patrick, you feel like royalty riding round in it, also the straight six makes such a wonderful noise, especially when you put your foot down to climb a hill.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, interesting fujinon c-mount, the Rover shine!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I think I will find this lens useful for low light shooting as it seems to perform very well at wide apertures.

My dad is always polishing it, that's why it shines!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good discovery Ian! Congrats
Looks like very interesting lens to play around!

The first pic is my fav... can't explain why... it reminds me to something or someone but I can't remember Very Happy
I've seen him in many of your pics bye the way - Is he a relative (your father?), a friend or... your renter etc Wink?

How much did you pay for the lens?
I can't find any except one on Ebay USA for ~200$ "buy it now", but I know you're a very good bargain hunter.
Seems to be not very common.

Rendering, colors and good center performance reminds me slightly to the old uncoated Carl Zeiss 75/1.5 wide open. It might have a similar design!?

Does it also have a swirling bokeh? The edges of the first shot are looking like that or is it only distortion? Could you make some shots with many highlights in background like through some brushwood etc to see the kind of swirling? Would be very nice to know if it's more "sharp twist" like CZ Biotar 75 or more like "swirling butter with flowers" of the Helios 40? Wink

Please post more from this lens!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Forenseil, that's my father, he is always happy to let me take his picture so i use him often as my portrait test subject.

I'll try to take some more shots in the next few days, I'm stuck in the house at the moment with a bad leg.

I could only find one on ebay and it sold for 250USD, I got two of these for rather less, I'm selling the other one I think, don't need two.

It's quite a long narrow lens, close in size and shape to a J-11.

I haven't noticed any swirl with it, just a buttery smoothness like in the shot of the barometer, but I'll do as you say in looking for it and find a subject with highlights in the background.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to take a short walk and shot these, all wide open, I tried to explore the bokeh, seems to me it is very smooth with just a little swirl.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few at f4:

And a few at f8:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers Patrick, you feel like royalty riding round in it, also the straight six makes such a wonderful noise, especially when you put your foot down to climb a hill.

You can always tell when engine is running - you see the fuel guage drop Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my dad said it does about 15 to the gallon, more on the motorway as it has overdrive. I think it's only 2.5 litres. It has a pair of inch and three quarter SU carbs, they took a lot of work to rebuild and get working just right.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow it covers the Nex sensor!
I have a fujinon cmount 16mm lens, super sharp great colours, just massive vignetting due to the lens not covering the whole Nex.sensor...however I do believe this is limited to wide angle cmounts, so that could explain your success.
Great samples by the way, they comfirmed my suspisions that Fujinon glass is quite good. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood wrote:
Wow it covers the Nex sensor!
I have a fujinon cmount 16mm lens, super sharp great colours, just massive vignetting due to the lens not covering the whole Nex.sensor...however I do believe this is limited to wide angle cmounts, so that could explain your success.
Great samples by the way, they comfirmed my suspisions that Fujinon glass is quite good. Very Happy

I even suspect vignetting is due c-mount and lens basically covers more. Will let you know details soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it doesn't cover more, it only just and so covers the APS-C sensor.

The 1.4/50 also covers the APS-C sensor, but barely, there is ever so slight vignette. The 1.7/35 also covers APS-C but again, very slight vignette. The 1.4/25 doesn't come close to covering, but does cover m4/3. After that, they only cover a 1" sensor although the 1.4/12.5 comes close to covering m4/3. There is an uncommon 1.7/17 machine vision lens that also comes close to covering M4/3.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
No, it doesn't cover more, it only just and so covers the APS-C sensor.

The 1.4/50 also covers the APS-C sensor, but barely, there is ever so slight vignette. The 1.7/35 also covers APS-C but again, very slight vignette. The 1.4/25 doesn't come close to covering, but does cover m4/3. After that, they only cover a 1" sensor although the 1.4/12.5 comes close to covering m4/3. There is an uncommon 1.7/17 machine vision lens that also comes close to covering M4/3.

Did you remove c-mount? Without it, the image circle seems big enough for full frame.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I mess with a perfectly good lens? If I want a full frame lens, I'll buy a full frame lens, rather than hack one of these.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On fullframe:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
On fullframe:

Splendid thanks! M25 mount on the lens or removed?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is with m25 Wink