Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Maker Fair, San Mateo - with an unsatisfactory lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Maker Fair, San Mateo - with an unsatisfactory lens Reply with quote

I took the kids to the San Mateo Maker Fair - a sort of mini-"Burning Man", a techno-artistic festival.

I brought along my new Vivitar 19/3.8, which I have just bought, and my Ilex Portronic Paragon on bellows for a tele lens, as that thing is funky enough to fit in with the Maker Fair ambiance.

The 19mm Vivitar is not what I had hoped, it is no sharper than my 21mm Soligor.

19mm Vivitar -

Steampunk RV

Motorized prescription cupcake

Electro-Buddha fortune-teller

Robo-balls

3-D Mini-golf

Pinball-machine museum

See-thru pinball machine

Art

Ilex Paragon -

Robo-wars

Robo-Giraffe

Art

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb Luis, another national
it is irritating to see that all the lens sing for you
you write is not what I had hoped then you show perfect result
you should include some high resolution crop of border to see what's really going on

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, the pictures are really nice!. I'd love to go to such a fair, there aren't any like this one locally.
I like very much both the subjects and the pictures themselves. Tha statue's hair made on chains is superb!.
Thanks for sharing.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb series, aren't people clever? (Not least the photographer!) Does it ever rain in California?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great and the lens performs fine for web shots atleast!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thoughts were WOW! WHY?

The first shot makes me think of Jules Verne: 20,000 Leagues ABOVE the Sea.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. What an interesting festival! Very nice shots.

I have a similar lens, btw, a Cosina 3.8/20 and it also is "OK", really good enough for web shots but perhaps not for large prints.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lense seems fine for web viewing. I loved the first shot of the motor home.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
The lense seems fine for web viewing. I loved the first shot of the motor home.

Winnie who? Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the Maker Fair, well, this is California, there is a lot of oddness in the air. This is a big fair, we were there for four hours and saw maybe 25% of it, and my pictures don't do even that much justice. Burning Man is this times 100.

The weather is typical of the SF Penninsula. Its nicer there than San Francisco as they don't get the fog as much, but it still usually stays cool in the summer. The rains are from November through March usually, but its dry the rest of the year. It may well be the finest weather on earth, down by San Mateo. There are other areas like that, usually in the California coastal valleys - Carmel for instance.

The 19mm Vivitar, 100% crop of the Steampunk RV - this was f/16 and I think accurately focused. This is typical of what I'm seeing. It has good contrast and doesn't flare too much, less than the Soligor 21mm, but it just isn't sharp.