Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

For those using both FF & crop cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: For those using both FF & crop cameras Reply with quote

In another thread I asked about a backup body for my Sony a6000. A couple of the suggestions were for the Sony a7. I'm definitely NOT trying to get a "FF vs. crop" brawl started but I'm interested in people's opinions who shoot with both. Specifically, is it worth it to spend $1100 to get the a7 vs. $500 for another a6000? Just opinions please as most of us are probably aware of the technical differences. FWIW I'm shooting 100% MF legacy lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an A7 because I want a 35MM lens to be 35Mm lens, not a false 50MM and I had some SLR lenses left over from my film days.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love my NEX-7, it hardly gets touched since I bought my A7r, I much prefer using FF with legacy glass.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, get the best you can afford.

I would buy the A7 & sell the A6000. Wink

You don't need a backup camera, do you?

After purchasing FF my crop didn't get any use. I sold it just before it went totally worthless...otherwise it would be sitting here unused.

Also there is the ecological reasoning. Why waste all that image circle light? Laughing Serious, as it is, the 2:3 format wastes a lot of the image circle light already.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have been using APS-C mirrorless cams and had been satisfied with them but had been lurking for a FF only to see how my lenses made for 35mm film perform on a medium of the size they had been designed for. To my taste the A7 is bigger than I wished for and I prefer an articulating EVF, therefore it had taken me long before I finally decided to get one some 8 months ago. For the first 6 months I had been using the A7 exclusively. For their smaller size, and articulating EVF, also because I prefer the images of the Ricoh, lately again I usually use my Ricoh GXR M for daytime and the NEX5n for low light. For wide angle the Heliar 4.5/15 on my APS-C cams beats my 4/21 Heliar on the A7. Still the APS-C cams can't do what a fast 50mm or 35mm does on the FF, and I am happy to have a FF specially for my 50mm legacy lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money is no object, get whatever you want. If cost is a concern look for the right balance. Personally, I would be happy with one A6000 and would consider my NEX-5N a back-up. At today's <$500 price for A6000, seems a bargain. I question whether a 6300 would be worth the difference in cost when you only use MF lenses. FF seems a different discussion.

What is the reason for needing a back-up? Doing pro-work? If not, I'd save the $ until I needed to buy another camera. If doing for pay, always have back-up for everything.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been regularly using both my A7 and A6000. Especially for hiking, I often take two lenses on two bodies.

It's a very flexible setup, let's say I have 3 prime lenses, use on two bodies: 28mm, 58mm, 100mm macro. You can come up with 6 combinations. And each effective focal length has its own use:

28mm on FF: wide;
28mm on crop: general all purpose;
58mm on FF: fast normal;
58mm on crop: portrait;
100mm on FF: close portrait, or shallow DoF macro;
100mm on crop: a little more tele, or deeper DoF macro.

And most of the time, I anticipate what I'm going to shoot. Having two bodies allows me to avoid changing lens in the field.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An used A7 in good condition is about $700.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been shooting FF Canon with AF lenses and crop NEX for my old glass for some time. Just because of the fact that i also use Minolta film cameras i knew how these lenses feel when used on a fullsize frame.

This always felt like a short coming when i had the lenses on a crop body. So i saved up and bought the A7.

Couldn't be happier! Highly recommended investment!

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
If money is no object, get whatever you want. If cost is a concern look for the right balance. Personally, I would be happy with one A6000 and would consider my NEX-5N a back-up. At today's <$500 price for A6000, seems a bargain. I question whether a 6300 would be worth the difference in cost when you only use MF lenses. FF seems a different discussion.

What is the reason for needing a back-up? Doing pro-work? If not, I'd save the $ until I needed to buy another camera. If doing for pay, always have back-up for everything.

I'm not doing any paying work but we take a lot of trips and taking photos is a big part of the fun for me. I just don't want to be on day 1 of a 7 day trip and have my a6000 decide to take a vacation of its own. Smile

It sounds like most everyone who replied is very happy with their FF cameras. I've looked at used a7 bodies and they seem to be in the $800 range or so on that auction site.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to wait if you want to get one in $700.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roka wrote:
woodrim wrote:

I'm not doing any paying work but we take a lot of trips and taking photos is a big part of the fun for me. I just don't want to be on day 1 of a 7 day trip and have my a6000 decide to take a vacation of its own. Smile

It sounds like most everyone who replied is very happy with their FF cameras. I've looked at used a7 bodies and they seem to be in the $800 range or so on that auction site.

For a travel, just in case backup, a NEX 6/7/5N should do just fine, even your cellphone will do in a pinch....
The best scenario, is to save up for an A7 series and the A6000 will end up as backup.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After purchasing my ff, my Nex 6 is retired and my Nex 5 buried in a closet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my used sony a7 last autumn for 600$

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 camera's, A6000(everyday camera), olympus EPL-5(Fun and cine lens camera) and Panasonic GF1(self adapted Infrared camera)
Most of the time i take 2 out with me and a couple of adapters to use, I also have focal reducers for them too.
Maybe get a focal reducer and see how it performs on APS-C sensor and get a near FF image. Its close enough for me and i dont have the money yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crop sensor cameras are excellent, but only when working with modern lenses specifically designed for crop sensors. When you use a legacy MF lens designed for 35mm format on a crop sensor camera, you throw away about 50% of the visual information collected by the lens. You lose image quality and angle of view.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you buy a focal reducer, you nearly get the FF focal length, so you can buy a cheap 2nd hand APS-C (or a discounted A 6000 for your spare camera). Issue is quality of the focal reducer. But further gain in light is great for low light conditions (combined with 3200 ASA, you don't need a flash...)
I bought a zonghi 2 a couple months ago and while it was initially very tight, there is now a bit of looseness. Not sure but it may come from the Sony plastic/metal attachment ring.
I think Sony have addressed problem with 2nd generation A7 and A6300 with going all metal....but it won't help with 1st generation A7 2nd hand cameras or A6000 and nex.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
Crop sensor cameras are excellent, but only when working with modern lenses specifically designed for crop sensors. When you use a legacy MF lens designed for 35mm format on a crop sensor camera, you throw away about 50% of the visual information collected by the lens. You lose image quality and angle of view.

Oh my, I disagree in so many ways.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
I bought an A7 because I want a 35MM lens to be 35Mm lens, not a false 50MM and I had some SLR lenses left over from my film days.

It will still be a 35mm lens, no matter what format you shoot it with.

People need to learn that focal length alone does not determine field of view.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

480sparky wrote:
cyrano wrote:

Right you are. A focal length only becomes different in someone's mind, and that is because they have been conditioned by a specific format. The 1.5 crop factor cameras have been so numerous that many people now have never experienced that 35mm format standard, so to them a 50mm lens looks like a 35mm (33mm) when going to FF. Beyond the actual focal length, it's all perception.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

480sparky wrote:
cyrano wrote:

I think cyrano was just trying to say that in terms of angle of view, a 35mm lens on a crop sensor is equivalent to 50mm on a FF sensor.

When you use a legacy 35mm lens on a crop camera sensor, you throw away more than 50% of the image captured by the lens. As a general rule, a legacy 35mm lens produces a lower quality image on a crop sensor camera than a legacy 50mm lens on a FF camera.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from canon eos 60d to a7ii. I do miss the articulating EVF. Also the live view on sony is not nearly as good on my tablet. Other than that ithe a7ii is superior in every way. I still have the point and shoots I used prior to the Canon (Pentax X-90 nd optio 5S) and they are small enough and light enough as backup for travel. Get the FF.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use APS-C for macro purpose. But real pleasure is in thin DOF wide angle that A7 delivers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got the money, keep the a6000 and get the A7

There are some excellent old lenses that only work in aps-c like most Pen-f, many cine lenses and even some nice native sony glass.. plus the a6000 is so less bulky that sometimes you just want that than carry the bigger a7 around.. you'll get a lot less attention with the a6000 because it looks like a cheap compact to your avg joe.

I know you can just enable crop mode on the a7 but you lose resolution if you do..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There definitely seems to be some full frame elitism here. Some seem to be inferring that you're just not "with it" if you aren't shooting full frame.

It's fine by me. It makes used crop cameras cheaper, and I can sell old FF lenses at higher prices. Win/win!