Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

For those using both FF & crop cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning the different formats of sensors, I gave my opinion here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/panasonic-lumix-gx7-t60536.html

..."System m4/3 is not a minor system, is a different system, which has its own advantages (many) and cons (few)"...
..."Unfortunately, 24x36 wide manual focus lenses lose all charm when mounted on a m4/3 and an important part in APS"...

Wide-angle lens not only lose their charm, they also produce lower quality images compared with lenses built specifically for a given focal length. But I've never had any problems using 50mm or more legacy lens on M4/3. I especially like to use 50/1.4 and 85/1.8 on my old Panasonic G1 with good results.

Happy shots!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been shooting Full Frame since 2008 (Sony A900), and going back to APS-C NEX-5N (because of all the magnificent vintage glass) was never really satisfying. While most good MF lenses (e. g. Canon / Nikon / Minolta / Pentax primes) manage to fulfil the needs of a 16MP APS-C sensor (at least when stopped down), they usually have problems on 24MP APS-C sensors.

Most MF lenses have little or no problems on 24MP Full Frame sensors, and therefore my NEX-5N is hardly used any more. I simply prefer the handling and the image results of my FF A7 / A7 II.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that due to the lack generally at the wider angle range of the old M42 lenses, means that I can't always shoot using a crop sensor and get the field of view that I want. Using a Lens Turbo II on my Fuji definitely helps, but can restrict what lenses I can use, just as it does on my full frame Canon 5D3 DSLR. If I had some spare cash sitting around, I'd probably be going down the Sony A7II route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is simple. I have both m43 and FF. I use m43 with C-mounts, Pentax 110 and some Pen F. lenses. Everything else is food for FF, even some Pen F. lenses Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies! After considering all the alternatives I decided to try for a used a7 on that auction site. I got one today for a little over $700.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
I bought an A7 because I want a 35MM lens to be 35Mm lens, not a false 50MM and I had some SLR lenses left over from my film days.

that's the point Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan,

Did you test FF legacy lenses with focal reducers on APS-c cameras? Any take on this?

Probably less good than on FF camera but at least you keep almost same focal length and have good light

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Stephan,

Did you test FF legacy lenses with focal reducers on APS-c cameras? Any take on this?

No, i didn't. I did apply for a speedbooster for testing it, but never got any response from the manufacturer. The appearance of the Sony A7, shortly after, gave me the feeling that a USD 400-500 SpeedBooster probably wasn't worth the money for me. And the cheap Chinese copies did look even less appealing.

There are a few reasons apart from optical design worth considering:
* You need an expesive SpeedBooster for any lens mount you may want to adapt. Two SpeedBoosters are more expensive than a used FF camera (Sony A7) plus several lens adapters
* Using the Sony A7II Series all your vintage lenses are stabilized. VERY useful indeed.
* A 24MP APS-C sensor is far more prone to color cast / purple fringing than a 24MP FF sensor
* FF sensors have better Dynamic Range / high ISO / noise

Antoine wrote:

Probably less good than on FF camera but at least you keep almost same focal length and have good light

Probably, yes - but i have no own experience to confirm it!

One advantage of APS-C & Speedbooster might be the small camera size. if you consider that as an advantage ... Personally i prefer the (heavier / larger) A7II over the smaller A7. And i MUCH prefer the A7/A7II over the even smaller Nex-5N ... but that's only my personal opinion. Others may prefer the tiny NEX-5 ...

Stephan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I have an A99 that I use both with manually lenses and wonderful Minolta af lenses.I also have a a3000 that I mainly use af lenses on,it is a lightweight and low-cost option that it feels good to have access to.
I think Mf lenses is at its best on ff when 28mm is wide and all the wonderful 50mm lenses will be really alround.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back before the A7's were announced, I sent an email off to Metabones asking when or if they would be making a speedbooster with interchangeable mounts?
They would look into it.....
Then the A7/A7r announcement came, I bought an A7r and haven't looked back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
a speedbooster with interchangeable mounts

An Adaptall-like speedbooster, sounds like a great idea.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? Are your shots that mission critical that this perceived psychological difference will make a real difference?

Just use what ever tools gets the job done and forgot all this FOV crap. It's only useful if you are stuck in 135mm format. There is nearly a whole generation that grew up on APS-C now, so thankfully all this nonsense will just die away. Laughing

My experience coming from form 135mm format into APS-C has been more a;

"Ah! this lens now looks like this. Ah ok."
"Ah, this lens does this now. Ah ok"

THE END! Razz

GAH! Now I've ranted about FF vs APS ...Fail Sad

OP! I'm glad you bought an A7!. You will have the fun! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen.
Thanks for input. Makes sense. Will probably wait for A7 ii second hand to come available or new price to come down. Also, it makes the A 6300 a non starter as it is expensive and does not have stabilisation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Lightshow wrote:
a speedbooster with interchangeable mounts

An Adaptall-like speedbooster, sounds like a great idea.

Until then, an EF mount version covers Nikon, M42 and several others, with cheap adaptor rings.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

APS-C never took off in film days (ok partly for quality reasons). It was a compromise when digital took over, mainly because the cost of making FF sensors was prohibitive for many years. If they could have built good value FF digital sensors from the start, that is what would have happened. Obviously APS-C allows more compact bodies and lenses, but because the main makers kept the same flange distance for DSLRs, the size savings were not that significant.
Sony A7 series is the first to fulfil the promise of a full frame format, with body sizes comparable to classic film SLRs (like OM series or Spotmatic series), unlike modern monster size DSLRs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
APS-C never took off in film days (ok partly for quality reasons). It was a compromise when digital took over, mainly because the cost of making FF sensors was prohibitive for many years. If they could have built good value FF digital sensors from the start, that is what would have happened. Obviously APS-C allows more compact bodies and lenses, but because the main makers kept the same flange distance for DSLRs, the size savings were not that significant.
Sony A7 series is the first to fulfil the promise of a full frame format, with body sizes comparable to classic film SLRs (like OM series or Spotmatic series), unlike modern monster size DSLRs

Two points. 1. APS-C never took off because public got tired of new film format scams Kodak tried to pull at least once a decade, and digital was right around the corner. 2. What you "call monster size DSLRs" are very close in size to high-end AF film SLR and represent huge size and weight reduction compared to some professional MF outfits.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:

What you "call monster size DSLRs" are very close in size to high-end AF film SLR and represent huge size and weight reduction compared to some professional MF outfits.

Absolutely true.

Nevertheless i would have immediately switched to, say, a Nikon Df if it would have had better technology than my Sony A900. However changing from a 24MP with stabilization to a 16MP without stabilization (and worse colors) didn't really make sense to me.

While the Sony A7II nicely fits into my hands, the EVF and the extremely short battery lifetime is simply annoying and far from "professional". Thus, we are still waiting for a reasonably small / lightweight FF DSLR...

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite interesting to read the different opinions.
However, I am using different formats for different tasks both analog and digital and every format offers different benefits.
That means that I am using FF (Sony A850), MFT (Lumix GF1) and APS-C (Ricoh GXR, Pentax DSLR and NEX) in parallel.
The Ricoh GXR APS-C is BTW my most favorite and most used camera for the use of MF lenses as it's still the only camera (besides Leica) which was exclusively designed for MF lenses. There is still nothing comparable available till date in terms of compatibility and portability with MF lenses and particularly RF lenses where it delivers excellent picture quality even with extreme wide angle lenses such as the 12 and 15 mm Voigtländer RF lenses which I consider as wide enough on APS-C crop sensor. Also the available focus aids which I consider as most important feature for the use with MF lenses is still unbeaten. Maybe I would change my mind if somebody would offer a comparable camera with FF sensor. I don't know yet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
... APS-C ... the available focus aids which I consider as most important feature for the use with MF lenses is still unbeaten. Maybe I would change my mind if somebody would offer a comparable camera with FF sensor. I don't know yet.

The gist of it for me -- it happened before Live View -- I couldn't focus fast MF lenses using APS-C optical viewfinder until I got my FF camera. Wink

Immediate before that I purchased a film camera to see how wide angle lens looked through the viewfinder...a few rolls of film later I "needed" a FF digital...