Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best Contax/Yashica to EOS Adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Best Contax/Yashica to EOS Adapter Reply with quote

Hi,

I have 3 contax/yashica mount lens that I'd like to adapt to my Canon t2i (550d).

I got a cheap eBay adapter and I'm not satisfied with it. Once the lens is mounted on the adapter, it "wiggle" a little, its not as stiff as a m42 adapter. It's not so bad I can't use it, but I'd like something more rigid.

Is there any better adapter/seller on eBay that you know about ?

Thanks

p.s. I didn't knew where to post this... I guessed this was related to MF lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried many, they all wiggle a bit.
Not a problem with small lenses, but with big heavy lenses can be a problem
(my 2/135 fell once)
Only way to have a totally safe mount is to add the Leitax extension www.leitax.com
note: only possible for MM lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best ones I've had have been black and cost about £30-35 if it helps! But they seem to change all the time! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one from Big_is it doesn't wiggle buy it also allows focus past infinity as it's a bit too thin.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

Those Leitax mount looks create, but I can't see myself spending that much just for a simple wiggle. I could probably do something similar using my current mount.

I currently have a big_is adapter (chrome/aluminium color)... I'll see if I can talk with "him" (it?) on eBay to get a proper one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have googled first!

http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Contax_db_Adapters_1.html

The trick about the slot "widening" is quite good. That's enough to make the fit a bit tighter and way less wiggly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The best ones I've had have been black and cost about £30-35 if it helps! But they seem to change all the time! Laughing

That's right, they change all the time. I bought a "High Precision" adapter from big_is once, and it wiggled a lot, but gave me precise hard infinity stop. Sold that one with a lens, and ordered another one... which looks similar, does NOT wiggle, but exhibits the usual "focuses past infinity" behavior. With this new one, my Yashica ML 24/2.8 and 28/2.8 both hit the mirror when focused to hard infinity stop - didn't happen with the "old" one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Best Contax/Yashica to EOS Adapter Reply with quote

Andreq wrote:
I got a cheap eBay adapter and I'm not satisfied with it. Once the lens is mounted on the adapter, it "wiggle" a little, its not as stiff as a m42 adapter. It's not so bad I can't use it, but I'd like something more rigid.

You can often fix or reduce the "wiggle" by a very simple procedure described here: http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Contax_db_Adapters_1.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so did you guys find any good mount or do I have to go with the leitax?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Tried many, they all wiggle a bit.
Not a problem with small lenses, but with big heavy lenses can be a problem
(my 2/135 fell once)
Only way to have a totally safe mount is to add the Leitax extension www.leitax.com
note: only possible for MM lenses.

Leitax does have an AE mount. I've already Leitaxed 3 of my AE lenses. Highly recommend this mount, it's the best. Only thing I wish it had were a little extra lip because with many Contax lenses the whole lens is the focus ring and it's hard to grab the lens when changing. But otherwise Leitax is by far the best-calibrated, most secure option out there, and makes manual focus much easier since there is no backlash at all.

Note that a few lenses can't be Leitaxed (MP 100, VS 100-300 and various others) but the David from Leitax said they are in the process of developing mounts for these.

I've used Fotodiox and it's OK though the spring-loaded tab is not very secure, with heavy lenses they may even fall out some day. Also I found the non-Pro adapter to have less play than the Pro adapter on some lenses; however the non-Pro would not fit on my 2,8/100 Makro-Planar.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreq wrote:
Thanks all!

Those Leitax mount looks create, but I can't see myself spending that much just for a simple wiggle. I could probably do something similar using my current mount.

I currently have a big_is adapter (chrome/aluminium color)... I'll see if I can talk with "him" (it?) on eBay to get a proper one.

Well, kind of depends on your use case. With some heavier lenses the wiggle makes accurate portrait MF a bit painful. Also having infinity focus calibrated exactly (which you can do with Leitax adapters -- sometimes they are past infinity but with those you can insert shims before screwing it on and get it to be correct) is really really really useful for landscapes since you can just slap the lens to infinity and not worry about focusing. Helps a lot when you're shooting landscapes on the move, or shooting nightscapes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally was able to buy Leitax adapters for all my C/Y lenses. I have a big job coming up and want to feel comfortable and not worry about my precious lenses wiggling or even falling of my camera.
It now feels as if I have a completely new set of lenses. The way they fit on the Canon is incredible. No play whatsoever. Tight as if the camera and lens are cast from a solid block of metal.
Until now I was always worried about the other other adapters and always had one hand on the lens just in case. It also improves my shooting because focussing is so much more precise.
I have no stocks in David's company and get no benefits but I can really advise you to get the Leitax adapters.
Maybe someone can organise a group buy and get a nice discount.

The 100-300 and the MP 100/2.8 cannot be Leitaxed because the screws are in a different place as the other Contaxes. But I have had a machine shop drill a couple more holes though and they now fit perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

propellor wrote:
I finally was able to buy Leitax adapters for all my C/Y lenses. I have a big job coming up and want to feel comfortable and not worry about my precious lenses wiggling or even falling of my camera.
It now feels as if I have a completely new set of lenses. The way they fit on the Canon is incredible. No play whatsoever. Tight as if the camera and lens are cast from a solid block of metal.
Until now I was always worried about the other other adapters and always had one hand on the lens just in case. It also improves my shooting because focussing is so much more precise.
I have no stocks in David's company and get no benefits but I can really advise you to get the Leitax adapters.

The 100-300 and the MP 100/2.8 cannot be Leitaxed because the screws are in a different place as the other Contaxes. But I have had a machine shop drill a couple more holes though and they now fit perfectly.

wow you sure love zeiss lenses propeller. But anyway, can we start that group to get the discount?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May not be the best but some of the member here are satisfied with this one.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
propellor wrote:

wow you sure love zeiss lenses propeller. But anyway, can we start that group to get the discount?

Yes I surely do. I'm not the one to start the group buy. I have my adapters. Anyone else?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody else confirm that this is good to buy? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251150935437

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
Can anybody else confirm that this is good to buy? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251150935437

This adapter should works well with most lens except the heavy and giant one. Some lenses may have the mirror clearance issue on 5D/5D2 etc.. You can ask before you buy the adapter from the seller.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

This adapter should works well with most lens except the heavy and giant one. Some lenses may have the mirror clearance issue on 5D/5D2 etc.. You can ask before you buy the adapter from the seller.

Is contax zeiss 180 f 2.8 consider to be heavy?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, I've bought yet another adapter from Big_is

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/120443223364?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_4115wt_1163

This one was better than my first C/Y adapter. I did the little adjustment found on my third post and it's perfect.

I didn't see any problem with infinity focus but I might have to test it more.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Is contax zeiss 180 f 2.8 consider to be heavy?

Not heavy at all consider it weight less than 1 kg. This lens should work fine when adapter to any EOS camera.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreq wrote:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/120443223364?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_4115wt_1163

This one was better than my first C/Y adapter. I did the little adjustment found on my third post and it's perfect.

I hate af confirm. Anyway tell me how it turns out. My nikkor adapters are working fine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Nguyen wrote:
Andreq wrote:

I hate af confirm. Anyway tell me how it turns out. My nikkor adapters are working fine.

I don't have a split prism focusing screen in my t2i for now so I'm still relying on the AF most of the time. It's not perfect, but it's quite good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because I have great success with Big_IS adapter, I have purchase another one for my contax. Hopefully it'll be good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: BEST ADAPTER FOUND Reply with quote

Just have found out this:
PLS READ TO THE END-the solution is at the end.
certain adapters are really not focussing to infinity BUT
is more likely lenses are not calibrated or are decalibrated(worn out) not focussing to infinity.
Have just tested many zeiss and sigma 28/1.8 aspherical high speed wide multicoated.
Some zeiss will never focus to infinity even with adapter which set set to infinity with calibrated lens.

I have got two new adapters after there were the very well known lens-locker-problem. Both without chip-one can let it be chipped by leitax(he has dandelion and optixpcb v7(newest) but will mount also other chips.
1. First i tested only lens-mounting and not infinity on both of these(name will follow below). its working sometimes(on certain lenses) but on some afterwork must be done. if lens-locker-hole is worn out use a fine file and file down/flat a bit the left side wall where the locker-blade is engaging. With edge of the file file a tiny cut into the corner so the blade can engage when needed. maybe it must bent inwards a bit.
the problems of these lens-locker-blades are:
a) too thin, not stiff enough, not hardened
b) thick enough but but not hardened. one has to bend them in all the time and they will break. happened with the peleng8 one which has 0.44mm approx. thin ones are 0.22mm.
2. chipped adapters. if adapters have too much play(it depends chip) signal maybe be disengaged-get lost. avoid optixpcb-adapter with chip. but i also have two m42-eos which only one is working properly, maybe chip is not positioned precisely.

3. INFINITY
I have DSLRExchange-adapter(the only one with screws) which was made to clear mirror on certain FFs DLSR like EOS 5D and 6D models.
After having huge lens-locking-problems i bought two new unchipped-adapters.
These are:
K+F CONCEPT (pls remember this one very well since its the only one which i can advise) its focussing past infinity and with this overrules decalibrated lenses. Let chip added by LEITAX. send him chips which he does not have in stock or let it be sent to him. beside dandelion and optixpcb v7(newest) there are EMF and one more chinese chip(see his page). simplest programming is optixpcb-chip and most sophisticated.
Second adapter which holds lenses perfectly BUT DOES NOT FOCUS TO INFINITY some zeiss and sigma 28/1.8 i mentioned above, its this one:
ebay #371148184919
cenyonline
elec-mall
(ecamcity)
Characteristic of this adapter is that lenses are very tightly fitted. with sigma its so tight(no play at all) that i can hardly remove it when not pressing lens to base. and lens-locker must be bent in to avoid disengaging when removing from camera.
LEITAX told me to recalibrate lenses myself. search in google.

So best adapter is the one from K+F CONCEPT(have not found the producer itsself)

Important note about Optixpcb chipped adapter:
The ring they use on more expensive highprecision is not advised to get: dont buy it at all:
lenses may fall off. its the same thin non hardened blade which is used on cheapest noname-adapter which i already have.....But even if its holding certain lenses only a bit of play will disengage signal. this did not happed on any other dandelion and EMF-adapters. i also have a M42-EOS which has that problem, second one is ok. So better letting leitax mounting chips.
will now try to find infinity-focus-adjustments-tips.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Leitax-AE-lens-mounts Reply with quote

Leitax now also have rings for certain-not all AE-lenses. But they must be adjusted to infinity anyhow.
Leitax just told me they will make them as thin as possible.
Pls check there site also for new C/Y-NEX-adapter and how new ring is added ONTOP of C/Y-lenses.