Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best Contax/Yashica to EOS Adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Tape the lens to "infinity" Reply with quote

wuxiekeji wrote:
Andreq wrote:
Thanks all!

Those Leitax mount looks create, but I can't see myself spending that much just for a simple wiggle. I could probably do something similar using my current mount.

I currently have a big_is adapter (chrome/aluminium color)... I'll see if I can talk with "him" (it?) on eBay to get a proper one.

Well, kind of depends on your use case. With some heavier lenses the wiggle makes accurate portrait MF a bit painful. Also having infinity focus calibrated exactly (which you can do with Leitax adapters -- sometimes they are past infinity but with those you can insert shims before screwing it on and get it to be correct) is really really really useful for landscapes since you can just slap the lens to infinity and not worry about focusing. Helps a lot when you're shooting landscapes on the move, or shooting nightscapes.

Tape the lens to "infinity" in this case or add a marker with pen or metallic tape.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: also some AE-lenses now with leitax-mount Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Tried many, they all wiggle a bit.
Not a problem with small lenses, but with big heavy lenses can be a problem
(my 2/135 fell once)
Only way to have a totally safe mount is to add the Leitax extension www.leitax.com
note: only possible for MM lenses.

Also some AE-lenses with leitax-EOS-mount.
nb: some lenses can be converted to M42 and sony alpha(PC-DISTAGON 35 for sony alpha)
THE BOKEH COMPANY is converting some 50mm zeiss C/Y to nikon-also infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: pls study this adapter-report Reply with quote

Andreq wrote:
I should have googled first!

http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Contax_db_Adapters_1.html

The trick about the slot "widening" is quite good. That's enough to make the fit a bit tighter and way less wiggly.

pls study this adapter report and my findings. one can improve worn out lens-locking hole.
Some adapters have the option to make it more tight other do not have these springs/blades to be widened.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the K&F is good for a cheap adapter Click here to see on Ebay judging from the sales volume and the feedback here. The one made by Yeenon Click here to see on Ebay is worth to consider especially for certain lens that will interfere with the mirror box(similar to the DSLRExchange-adapter mentioned above but this one has been produced for a long time with pretty good precision compare to other adapter). However, some of the lens may have slightly different tolerance. One may need to adjust their lens even using the most expensive adapter such as the one made by RAYQUAL http://www.rayqual.com/.

Last edited by calvin83 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which tolerance?
its all about infinity and lens adjusted to it and mirror-clearance.
you dont mean lens-locking-mechanisme. yes there one had also tolerances. Thats why K+F CONCEPT has very thick lens-locker most probabyl hardened. and past infinity. one can add shims to clear mirror. leitax seems to have those.
pity i could not yet see and test those novoflex and huppert-adapters.
Crazy they are showing wrongly built adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-Y-CY-Contax-Yashica-Yashinon-Zeiss-lens-to-Canon-EOS-Mount-Adapter-/252284005370?
camera-adapter-locking-hole is at wrong position. its must be at 2 oclock. when red dot of camera-side is at 3oclock.
or at 11 oclock when red marker is at 12 oclock like on the image and not 9 oclock. WIERD!
ON LENS-SIDE(UPPER image)- hole must not go through but if going through it must be at about 130 oclock and not 3oclock.
I wonder why there are so much adapter-producting dilletants in asia. It seems a lot of idiots around.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I think the K&F is good for a cheap adapter Click here to see on Ebay judging from the sales volume and the feedback here. The one made by Yeenon Click here to see on Ebay is worth to consider especially for certain lens that will interfere with the mirror box(similar to the DSLRExchange-adapter mentioned above but this one has been produced for a long time with pretty good precision compare to other adapter). However, some of the lens may have slightly different tolerance. One may need to adjust their lens even using the most expensive adapter such as the one made by RAYQUAL http://www.rayqual.com/.

first link does not lead to K+F CONCEPT.
Its very cheap and well built. in my opinion perfectly built. Nothing except PAST infinity focussing... But thats an advantage like some of us have found out.
Now where is an instruction for lens-calibration?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have corrected the link of the K&F adapter Click here to see on Ebay.

The reason why Yeenon align the lens to the 10-o-clock is to prevent the interference between the aperture coupling pin of certain lenses with the mirror box of FF EOS camera such as 5D, 5D2 and some of the 1D series. This is also mentioned on RAYQUAL's product page http://homepage2.nifty.com/rayqual/cy_eos.html .

About the tolerance things:
The flange distance the CY mount is 45.5mm while the flange distance of the EOS mount is 44mm. Theoretically, an adapter with thickness of exactly 1.5mm is required if we need perfect infinity. To ensure the lens focus to infinity exactly or near exactly at the infinity mark, we need to consider not only the difference in flange focal distance(the thickness of the adapter) but also the tolerance of the lens (assuming your EOS camera has the flange distance of exactly 44.00mm).

Assume the thickness of the adapter and the flange focal distance of the lens are made with a tolerance of +-0.02mm, the new tolerance of the lens adapter combo will become +-0.04mm. If the the new flange distance is -0.04mm, you will achieve infinity on most lenses but the focus scale will be off. If the the new flange distance is +0.04mm, you might get infinity on the telephotos but not the wide-angles. If the new flange distance is keep within +-0.02mm, the combo should works well on most lenses(the infinity mark may be slightly off though).

In practice, you need to match the adapter with your lens if you want the lens focus to infinity at the exact infinity mark. Adapters with the correct thickness should works well on most lenses but the thin one might come in handy with certain wide-angles. You can adjust your lens too but it may not be a good idea on zoom lenses or lenses with floating element.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Yeenon Reply with quote

Yes thats the seller but i have now also found the producer. name was hardly visible on package. had to backlit it...
www.kenfaith.com = K+F CONCEPT.

Maybe its worth getting the Yeenon. I am in contact with them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma 28/1.8 was worst on this already mentioned adapter: Will send them all back. Just boughit it again, 6 pieces before knowing the results.....
ebay #371148184919
cenyonline
elec-mall
(ecamcity)
yes the lens itself is decalibrated. together with this adapter which could have mirror-clearance i am getting sharp images at 9m lens set to infinity.
zeiss 85/2.8 seems to be ok at least at 350m.

also yashica ML 50/1.7 is affected. PC-Distagon 35/2.8. and 18/4 all AE. have no MMs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can now compare with DSLREXCHANGE which has mirror-clearance.
Which Canon-FFs are affected?
Update:
very surprisingly 85/2.8 sharp at infinity or at least at 350m
totally sharp sigma 28/1.8. i am very surprised.
are my four dslrexchange-adapters really clearing mirror? must ask jorge torralba.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I have corrected the link of the K&F adapter Click here to see on Ebay.

The reason why Yeenon align the lens to the 10-o-clock is to prevent the interference between the aperture coupling pin of certain lenses with the mirror box of FF EOS camera such as 5D, 5D2 and some of the 1D series. This is also mentioned on RAYQUAL's product page http://homepage2.nifty.com/rayqual/cy_eos.html .

the bad adapter and DSLREXCHANGE(with mirror-clearance-must be verified) have both adapter-lock-pinhole at the sam position. different from yeenon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Adapter-thickness Reply with quote

The three adapters i mentioned have this size-thickness. need a micrometer to measure it more precisely since my
digital caliper cannot measure directly when there is a rim.

1. K+F Concept: 1.41mm with 0.05mm(0.01mm tolerance) shim is now 1.46mm
with rim
2. DSLRExchange: 1.54mm I think i cannot reach infinity at least with not all lenses. its built for mirrorclearing.
with rim
3. ElecMall : 1.57mm- No focus to infinity at all.
has no rim
Remember: The lenses are badly calibrated. i will love the day when i can check that on a SLR.
Does anyome know how to calibrate lenses-Zeiss contax/yashica. or the dam....d sigma with is totally decalibrated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: BIG REVISION-Was wrong with Elecmall Reply with quote

BIG REVISION
My critics against Elecmall are totally wrong. The problem lies in the fact that lenses can be badly calibrated. Did a new test by using zeiss which are best for infinity or past with adapters.

test made for 350m, infinity not reached. a bit before. real infinity 500m and more will be tested later.

Since K+F CONCEPT is clearly focussing PAST infinity to match all lenses i added shim 3x 0.05mm= 0.16mm(with tolerance) leading to 1. 55mm
Has Rim which has no effect on lens. but i dont yet have digital micrometer only digital caliper to be most precise.

DSLRExchange: 1.54mm

the same like above. Has Rim
Elecmall 1.56mm
No Rim

And: Yeenon which is clearing mirror is 1.45mm. must be checked since these 1.54 make sense.

maybe different position of the lens here allows these 1.45. very clever. Cannot test-dont have such FF-Dsrl(Eos 5D variants/6D)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my measurement on the Yeenon is 1.47mm and my friend measure it 1.48mm back in 2011 . We used a cheap digital caliper so the reading may not be very accurate. Both value is pretty close to the theoretical value of 1.5mm.