Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ever felt guilty?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Ever felt guilty? Reply with quote

Hi guys, bit of a moral dillema, yesterday afternoon the girlfriend texted me about a camera and lenses on Facebook Sales, I arranged to go and see the items after work and 20mins later having parted with £50GBP, I owned the items, didn't even haggle.
I now have a Canon AE1 fitted with the Canon 28-50 f3.5 SSC lens complete with original deep lens cap. a Canon 35-105 f3.5 macro and the Vivitar 135 f2.3, which if anything like my old 200mm version, will be stellar in perfomance. All items are immaculate!
I left feeling elated but with a sense of guilt that I didn't pay the lovely gentleman more. Is this normal?
I haven't shot 35mm film since I went digital, keeping only my medium format gear for film, but I am am going to keep the camera as well, such a lovely thing needs to be used.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the value of the goodies you had bought, but I guess it really was a very good bargain.
Now if you feel bad about having payed too little I'd give the person 'some' more, that is as much as you need to feel good and happy Smile - I'd think not as much as if you had bought it via ebay, it should remain a very good deal. it will come as a very nice surprise for him and most importantly, instead of guilt that will come around again and again when using the gear, you will feel all the more happy!
it's simple, be good, be happy Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guilty ? that's the going rate,
I've been trying to sell a perfect Canon A1, with new light seals and no squeal, a couple of lenses and flash for £50 for about 6 months, and I haven't had one enquiry. For some reason the A1 just doesn't seem to sell, the AE1 and AE1P however seem to be way more popular, the lenses are what sell old cameras. No, you and the seller did OK.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as said I didn't know the going rates. If the price paid was just a good deal and not 'robbing' then sure no need to feel guilty.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel guilty. Everybody can check prices on the world-wide-web if they want to sell at top-price, just like anybody can put something on ebay if they like.

If they don't do that and they ask a fair price which you are willing to pay, all is okay imho, you are happy, and he is happy! Very Happy

Happy shooting, i started to shoot film again about 2 years ago, and i absolutely love it!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, I can only find one Vivitar 135mm f2.3 on eBay and they want $249 US dollars, haven't checked prices of other 2 lenses yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it, over pay on some, under pay on others, it all works out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you did not threat the seller to force him to sell or reverse, the deal is "perfect".
If you feel guilty, spend the money you "won" with your girl friend. You should feel better then.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still feel guilty sometimes but as OneTruelove said everyone can check what equipment is valued at and if they don't they are only short changing themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever felt guilty? Reply with quote

Mr G wrote:
Hi guys, bit of a moral dillema, yesterday afternoon the girlfriend texted me about a camera and lenses on Facebook Sales, I arranged to go and see the items after work and 20mins later having parted with £50GBP, I owned the items, didn't even haggle.
I now have a Canon AE1 fitted with the Canon 28-50 f3.5 SSC lens complete with original deep lens cap. a Canon 35-105 f3.5 macro and the Vivitar 135 f2.3, which if anything like my old 200mm version, will be stellar in perfomance. All items are immaculate!
I left feeling elated but with a sense of guilt that I didn't pay the lovely gentleman more. Is this normal?
I haven't shot 35mm film since I went digital, keeping only my medium format gear for film, but I am am going to keep the camera as well, such a lovely thing needs to be used.

Have you a favourite charity?

Determine roughly the amount of your underpayment, double it, contribute that amount to your charity, and count your blessings.

This should help you to feel better.

Alternatively, but more difficult and complex:

Learn the seller's favourite charity and make a contribution in his name.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick that lot on eBay and you'd be lucky to get £100 for it. Then there would be ebay fees, Paypal fees and there are quite a lot of crappy buyers out there too. Sometimes it's worth accepting a bit less money for an easier life.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G wrote:
Cheers guys, I can only find one Vivitar 135mm f2.3 on eBay and they want $249 US dollars, haven't checked prices of other 2 lenses yet.

they want... but do they get it too? Wink

It was a good deal.. yes even a bargain, but you don't have to feel guilty about. £50 will be probably more than the guy would get on a flea market

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah don't feel guilty as if the seller had lost interest in photography it was probably unwanted stuff to him and was glad to get rid of it. I see this at boot sales with e.g.:- Zenit EM, Helios 44-2 and 135mm lens for £1 and the person is pleased when you buy it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never feel guilty when I buy an item that is under priced, even if I know the real price of the item. However I never barter on an item that i already priced a reasonable price. Everyone has a chance to look up the real value of their item, even older people who say that they do not know how to use the net, but find a way to add their listing on a local auction site Smile. I often buy thing in local flea markets and many cameras/lenses there usually require CLA. With that said, I often end up paying a reasonable price to a person, who might not know the real price of the item, due to the defect that it has. I take the item home fix it up and yes, then it is worth way more than I`ve paid, but I`ve put some work into it myself, so I did not rip of the guy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
If you feel guilty, spend the money you "won" with your girl friend. You should feel better then.

Or spend that money on even more gear Smile

I actually can relate to the OP – I do feel guilty when I buy something for much less than the going rate. What I typically do to feel less guilty is to advise the seller on how to find buyers for other photo gear that they might have for sale (local photo clubs, grocery store bulletin boards, Kijiji, etc.). I also suggest that they raise their prices a little bit, kind of to compensate for being ripped off by me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guilt will pass. Some folks here are undervaluing the Vivitar you got. That alone is worth more than the others combined. Superb lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel guilt over a good snag? Never. Why should I?

I've never taken advantage of a widow or an orphan. I've sometimes told widows and orphans how valuable the trinkets they thought worthless really are.

I have, however, bid low on eBay and won; bought treasures offered far below market on web sites; and bought treasures priced very low at flea markets, including camera shows.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I think my conscience has eased with the general view being that's life, sometimes we pay top dollar, other times we get a bargain.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price looks a bargain but not that much of one. As others here say it looks like the going rate. £15 would be a bargain.

Some old guys dont mind how much they get as long as the camera isn't going in the skip. If they see its going to be loved and used thats all they are worried about. You did him a favour. Relax.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller may not have wanted the hassle involved with maximising the value. Different markets have different rates - these days small ads won't get you a good price for your stuff, but if someone turns up and gives you a few notes and you get rid of some clutter, it might be a lot easier than dealing with an auction and having to package and dispatch and hope for good feedback.

Not entirely related but I was talking to someone in a charity shop about buying lenses. She said they put something up for £20, and someone spotted it and said they would put it on ebay for them, and raised £800. I would like to know what it was!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ve got a A1 after my AE1 shutter broke. Love it! Except for that it doesnt have full manual controls, but who cares? It always expose correctly. Just remember to turn the camera off when youre not using it! Mine is draining battery while its not in use.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guilt I'd feel about buying nice lenses is more related to me spending money on my hobby instead of my family. Granted, photography really is a nice hobby the family enjoys so when the wife gets happy about some pictures, I end up feeling pretty good Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beomagi wrote:
The guilt I'd feel about buying nice lenses is more related to me spending money on my hobby instead of my family. Granted, photography really is a nice hobby the family enjoys so when the wife gets happy about some pictures, I end up feeling pretty good Very Happy

Then do it for her.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apply the Karmic Rule. If I find something for peanuts and I later realise the value on the open market is far and beyond what I paid for it (but only if I actually sell it) I feel the karmic need to find the seller and bung him a few extra quid.
For something like old camera gear, most of my bargain-priced stuff was bought when the real market prices were quite low anyway, and I feel no compunction about keeping any profits I make if and when I ever cash in on them, as it's now years on from when I bought them.
The primary instance of Karmic Compensation is, for example, you find an Old Master at a boot sale for 50cents and put it into Sotheby's where it sells for millions. I would feel utterly driven to find the little old lady who sold me it and give her something extra.
Now, some dirty greedy utterly conscience-less sods disagree with that, but in my view it's a windfall and to part with some of the windfall is no skin off my nose and it brings some little joy into someone's life.