Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ferrari/Pininfarina designed lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Ferrari/Pininfarina designed lenses? Reply with quote

I read ages ago that some Schneider lenses were designed by Pininfarina in the 60s, I cant find the info so my question is

1 Is it true?
2 Which models?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ferrari/Pininfarina designed lenses? Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
I read ages ago that some Schneider lenses were designed by Pininfarina in the 60s, I cant find the info so my question is

1 Is it true?
2 Which models?

What do you mean with "designed" ? The aesthetic?

Schneider kreuznach?
I thought they made only enlarging lens , medium and big format lens in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider have made many lenses for 35mm, including a series for Kodak Retina, a series for Rollei QBM mount, an M42 series for Edixa, plus lenses for rf cameras like the Voss Diax.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if Pininfarina was involved in this lens' genesis or not, but the Edixa-Xenar is a really lovely piece of design.
Not noticeable at first glance is the dynamic depth of field scale that is represented by the red lines under the plastic cover. These two rotate in and out with the aperture setting to show depth of field for any given aperture.
......and they are Ferrari red........Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shameful display of wealth in public Wink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
A shameful display of wealth in public Wink

Isn't that what Ferraris are for .............. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche designed the Contax RTS in the 70's, a nice shape but otherwise a normal camera (except for the Zeiss lenses). And look at the state of them now with that horrible rubber composite covering.

Pinifarina shminifarina. It means nowt.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Porsche designed the Contax RTS in the 70's, a nice shape but otherwise a normal camera (except for the Zeiss lenses). And look at the state of them now with that horrible rubber composite covering.

Pinifarina shminifarina. It means nowt.

A curiosity none the less.
I wonder if there is any truth to it - and if so - what were the design differences.
Be interesting to find out.
OH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take a look at the photos of Schneider lenses over at Capt Jacks place, there are some early 60s models with the red DOF window scale and zebra, which kinda evoke Formula 1 visions of checkered flags, pit stops and the pungent smell of high octane fuel. But these may not be the ones.... Smile

If I recall the article correctly, it was more to do with Schneider feeling the pinch from Japan and wanting to redesign their range to be more compact looking like their Japanese competitors and therefore the more angular/edgy compact form with the leather trim is more consistent with the design change in respect of the article.

But who really knows for sure?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago when Nikon first introduced their flagship F3 camera, in their brochure, it was described as designed by an Italian house. I am able to recall if it is Pinifarina or somebody else. I believe they refered only to the camera body, nothing to do with their optics. One day when you can buy the latest lenses from a boutique, it would be a designer lens...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porsche designed the 35 mm camera samsung ECX-1 at the end of 80's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cambug wrote:
Years ago when Nikon first introduced their flagship F3 camera, in their brochure, it was described as designed by an Italian house. I am able to recall if it is Pinifarina or somebody else.

Giugiaro.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
If you take a look at the photos of Schneider lenses over at Capt Jacks place, there are some early 60s models with the red DOF window scale and zebra, which kinda evoke Formula 1 visions of checkered flags, pit stops and the pungent smell of high octane fuel. But these may not be the ones.... Smile

If I recall the article correctly, it was more to do with Schneider feeling the pinch from Japan and wanting to redesign their range to be more compact looking like their Japanese competitors and therefore the more angular/edgy compact form with the leather trim is more consistent with the design change in respect of the article.

But who really knows for sure?

This series of lenses?:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they seem to be the compact design from the 60s.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In M 42 they produced 28/4, 35/2,8, 50/2,8, 50/1,9 and 135/4.

Don't remember if were also the 200 mm.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Pininfarina and lenses. I have some Contaxes designed by Porsche and they
are really beautiful objects - and I disagree that they are normal cameras. They are solid rock, super
precise, and well, if you consider the AX a normal camera... then don't know what can be the boundaries of normal...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is the one? Too subtle red maybe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fascinating what emerges when Industrial Design houses are let loose on cameras.

From the Porsche/Contax tie up (nice) through Giugiaro / Nikon and, Colani / Canon on the T90 and on to the Porsche / Samsung effort mentioned before. I hope the Pentax / Marc Newson K-01 debacle hasn't killed this approach. I also recently re-discovered a late 80s article about the just came across a magazine article from the late 80s with an interview with Nick Butler of BIB Design who worked with Minolta to realise the original Minolta (Maxxum) 7000 AF camera which seems to be a less well known tie-up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barryreid wrote:
It's fascinating what emerges when Industrial Design houses are let loose on cameras....

...Nick Butler of BIB Design who worked with Minolta to realise the original Minolta (Maxxum) 7000 AF camera which seems to be a less well known tie-up.

I wouldnt boast about it.

Anyone think this is a design classic - I mean in a positive way??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we be waiting for the one with Go-faster stripes and the obligatory furry dice Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
barryreid wrote:
It's fascinating what emerges when Industrial Design houses are let loose on cameras....

...Nick Butler of BIB Design who worked with Minolta to realise the original Minolta (Maxxum) 7000 AF camera which seems to be a less well known tie-up.

I wouldnt boast about it.

Anyone think this is a design classic - I mean in a positive way??

He was quite pleased with it in 1988! Smile