Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kalejnar 3B 150/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Kalejnar 3B 150/2.8 Reply with quote

I also see it referred to as Kaleinar; are they the same? Anyone know of this lens? I've sworn off buying more lenses, but this one has me thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio have it ,I did relay to him this lens and try it out before, big MF lens with good quality.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/russian_lens/kaleinar_150mm_f2_8/?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good lens, very detailed for being a MF lens. Here's some photos I took 5 years ago (time flies!Shocked) :

http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/mulinaas-vm/slides/mvm_14.html
http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/mulinaas-vm/slides/mvm_15.html
http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/mulinaas-vm/slides/mvm_16.html
http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/mulinaas-vm/slides/mvm_17.html
http://www.oriofoto.net/temp/mulinaas-vm/slides/mvm_18.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and pictures. After being quite impressed with the Kalejnar 100/2.8, I wondered if this lens might also be very good. With the fast speed, thought maybe a good portrait lens with good bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite bulky (mine is in P6 mount). Found it fairly difficult to use on my nikon. Results are similar to those posted by Orio (in a technical sense Very Happy ) I do not like it quite as much as the 100/2.8, which has better rendition in my view (colour, contrast and OOF)

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, I don't quite understand why the Kaleinar 100mm and 150mm ever come up in the same discussion. They are different focal lengths and different design schemes. They were made for different systems and more importantly, different formats. In addition they utilize very different coatings.

I emphasize this not to be rude but I've just heard this discussion framed as " if you like the 100mm try the 150mm" or "I don't have any experience with the 150mm but I have the 100mm (and visa versa)" several times. This is an incorrect comparison imho. It's no more correct than comparing a Volna 9 2.8/50 and a Volna 3 2.8/80.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like most about the K150 is the focal lenght. Longer than 135mm without being too long.
Often when using a 180mm lens in live events I find myself wishing for a little shorter FL.
150mm takes you a little closer than 135mm, without going too far.
What I like less is the size (like Patrick said, it is bulky)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
With all due respect, I don't quite understand why the Kaleinar 100mm and 150mm ever come up in the same discussion. They are different focal lengths and different design schemes. They were made for different systems and more importantly, different formats. In addition they utilize very different coatings.

I emphasize this not to be rude but I've just heard this discussion framed as " if you like the 100mm try the 150mm" or "I don't have any experience with the 150mm but I have the 100mm (and visa versa)" several times. This is an incorrect comparison imho. It's no more correct than comparing a Volna 9 2.8/50 and a Volna 3 2.8/80.

I'm not really that naive to think all lenses from any supplier are of the same quality (or design). However, I do know that some brands are consistently good, like Zeiss, Leica, and many others (please don't bring up the rare exceptions) and had simply wondered if this Kalejnar might live up to its little brother lens. I have no idea what the lens design is. I do also wonder about the name; is Kalejnar and Kaleinar just different spellings of the same name?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
What I like most about the K150 is the focal lenght. Longer than 135mm without being too long.
Often when using a 180mm lens in live events I find myself wishing for a little shorter FL.
150mm takes you a little closer than 135mm, without going too far.
What I like less is the size (like Patrick said, it is bulky)

I have a 150mm ISCO and agree it can fit in well for certain situations. However, despite being very good, mine is quite slow at f/4.5. In exchange for the speed, I don't mind a fat lens, but I do like my women fast and skinny.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
but I do like my women fast and skinny.

dam right i like em like so as well.. Cool Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

... is Kalejnar and Kaleinar just different spellings of the same name?

Essentially yes. The Russian name is КАЛЕЙНАР. The letter "Й" has been transliterated variously as "i", "j", and "y" (and others as well) so that you can find Kaleinar, Kalejnar, Kaleynar ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

I have a 150mm ISCO and agree it can fit in well for certain situations. However, despite being very good, mine is quite slow at f/4.5. In exchange for the speed, I don't mind a fat lens, but I do like my women fast and skinny.

Laughing
Fast and skinny women can run fast, not easy to catch Razz Laughing
I like them roundish and soft. The round part comes out well with lenses, not so much the soft part unless you buy bad lenses Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, Orio, not that kind of fast. But in all honesty, I was never very good catching them anyway. Finally caught a good one that I've been married to for 35 years and two days. But we can still talk big, right?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio: I'm still intrigued by this lens. Do you have any pictures that demonstrate the bokeh? Don't have to be wide open, but I'd love to see more close or medium distance shots that separate subject from background.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Orio: I'm still intrigued by this lens. Do you have any pictures that demonstrate the bokeh? Don't have to be wide open, but I'd love to see more close or medium distance shots that separate subject from background.

I don't have, but I can take them (but not today, too scheduled)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At your convenience. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this: http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/kaleinar/Interesting But I think is all from medium format. I would still like to see from APS size. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Look forward your great portraits! Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First portrait... wide open at f/2.8 1/60 sec.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to me!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to apologize for not coming back with the bokeh pictures. I completely forgot about them Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I have to apologize for not coming back with the bokeh pictures. I completely forgot about them Sad

Easy to do at our age. Eh, my age. I've only taken a few pictures just to see sharpness at f/2.8 - it's a dim day anyway. One of the other pictures better demonstrated the sharpness at fully open. In my portrait, you need to find the point of focus within the hairy mess. I was actually please with it as my expectations were not high for wide open sharpness. Over the next week I will get plenty of use with it in various situations, so will be going it a good go. Just from this little bit I've tested, I think I'm going to like this lens. It may be another one where it needs to be used to its strengths and its weaknesses avoided. We'll see.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two more opportunities to get out with this lens. Yesterday I got to one of my favorite places and photographed the usual subjects; boats, pelicans, and people. So far not a single picture has impressed me as being very sharp. It does do well fully open, but no picture so far, regardless of aperture is very crisp. However, light has been dim, my focusing off some, and I've stayed in the f/2.8 to f/4 range. I have also discovered a lot of haze that needs attention. There is a Skylight filter that will come off before the next outing. I need to get better at focusing this lens as the depth is shallow. I was also doing some of the focusing while stopped down and although I thought I was doing okay, I wasn't. Perhaps I can get away with that in better light. I have found spots in nearly every photo that were reasonably sharp, so my focusing is at fault and I should correct that before condemning the lens.

On the positive side, CA is very well controlled and I haven't done any CA correction at all. One needs to look very closely to find any, even in the CA inducing situations. I do like the bokeh, and of course it can get very creamy with this speed and focal length.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your results are in line with my experience of this lens, it is a classic portrait lens that does best at close to medium distances, less so at infinity.
It definitely needs a hood for best output. The bokeh is classy and again does best at portrait shots (which is what the lens was made for).
I love what you obtained with peperoni, fish and tomatos.