Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kalejnar 3B 150/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Orio. The last three shots were at f/2.8. I will remove the skylight filter and investigate the haze. I will need to learn how to best focus this lens as I have with others. My next outing will likely be in better light, probably tomorrow during a stroll downtown Charleston. I'll be looking to find the best aperture for sharpness, although my problems have been more do to me. I suspect this is going to be another lens that needs to be used selectively where it performs best, such as short and mid range and portraits as you mention.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love them all ! Simple PP just auto contrast help to eliminate haze pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I love them all ! Simple PP just auto contrast help to eliminate haze pretty well.

Sadly the Kaleinar 150mm is not a much respected lens. Yet I think it's really good at portrait distance, images look like medium format even if they are taken with small format DSLR,
see tomatoes #9, it looks like a Pentacon 6 slide.
For landscape shots better to use a more contrasted lens like Jupiter-21M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll provide more assessment later - no urgency I'm sure as there are only three of us with any interest. I'll post yesterday's images and follow up later.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More and more convincing every time! You are doing a great job with the lens.
I'm happy because your photos rehabilitate the reputation of this often ignored lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Orio. This lens requires thought and care when using. My perception now after a couple of uses is that the lens will win no sharpness contest. Furthermore, I find no particular quality that stands out from other lenses other than being quite fast for the focal length and the associated effects. I do agree with you (Orio) that it will probably be best used as a portrait lens at f/4, maybe f/3.5. The only problem with using it at 2.8 would be the narrow depth of field.

I can now report about the strong haze I was experiencing. I removed the Skylight filter and the haze went away. I am finding that the lens produces good detail at fully open, but with an accompanied softness that gives the impression of not being sharp. Contributing to that impression is the very shallow dept of field, so if the full subject isn't within the plane of focus, you'll have both in and out of focus together, making it seem softer than it is. This is most evident in pictures of flowers and plants as you might expect.

Stopping down does not provide an appreciable difference in sharpness until f/5.6 when it appears good, then quite good at f/8 which I think may be the sweet spot at least for sharpness. Bokeh remains pleasurable throughout. I still wonder if at 5.6 most of the difference is depth of field more than sharpness, but f/8 definitely is sharper. I need to be careful in describing the lens as less than sharp, because every now and then it surprises me with crisp images, suggesting careful use is important.

The following two images are uploaded in full size so that you can see what I mean about the sharpness between fully open and f/5.6. The first is the 2.8 and close examination will show relatively good resolution with some CA in the expected areas. The second image is at f5.6.

The lens seems to be built well with smooth operating focus and well defined half stop clicks with the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a compatible medium format film camera, try the lens on it. You will be very pleased I am sure.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look great to me, probably alright for portraits but it just lacks detail and contrast imho, reminds me of the ubiquitous 3.5/200s of cheaper makers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
It doesn't look great to me, probably alright for portraits but it just lacks detail and contrast imho, reminds me of the ubiquitous 3.5/200s of cheaper makers.

Look #11 and I think you will see it you was wrong at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#11 is not bad, but I just don't see anything that catches my eye, so I'd call it competent but not great.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is often the case with me, after an initial critical assessment of a lens, I go back for a look and sometimes appreciate the performance a little more. This is such a case. Still, I will not include this lens among my sharpest, but am learning how to appreciate it. I do wish it was a little sharper at f/2.8 or even f/3.5, but I have concluded that f/5.6 is quite good and f/8 is best.

I don't consider the benefit of fast lenses to be wide open performance so much as bright viewing and the improved focusing ability that comes with brightness. Bokeh doesn't always have to come from wide open, but can be very pleasing with less background confusion. This lens is easier to focus, even with the shallow depth of field, than my f/4.5 ISCO lens of the same focal length. WHile the ISCO is sharper at f/4.5 and maybe f/5.6, they are pretty much equal at f/8. The Kaleinar is just a little micro contrast away from being a good 3-D effect lens.

This additional picture is another version of the one that Attila liked, but I found it more focused. The first one may have been shot at f/2.8 or f/3.5 or f/4, but this version was at f/5.6 and is clearly sharper. I've uploaded the full but slightly cropped image. One aspect of this photo which I think the lens handled very well is the blue flowers. Blue in flowers against a black background has been a real CA challenge for most of my lenses.

The following picture is nothing special, but demonstrates the sharpness of this lens at f/8. It was taken of a friend from across the room with flash.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f8 certainly very good like with most lenses, I think this lens is a rare bird and usable well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone said portrait lens?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Someone said portrait lens?

I did! Very Happy
Great one !!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sony Dyxum forum has an ongoing challenge to use focal lengths matching the day of the year, and yesterday was the 150th day of the year, so I got out my Kaleinar 3B 150/2.8. I hadn't used the lens since getting my NEX because I didn't have the adapter, but got one this week in anticipation for the Dyxum challenge. Besides, I had been itching to use it again (along with my other P6 lenses).

I set a personal record last evening for the most consecutive out-of-focus shots. Again, I didn't get out until the Sun was setting, so processing was also challenging. Or maybe it was the wine before going out.

NEX-5N and Kaleinar 150/2.8

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very nice Woodrim Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Nordentro. Seems not many people are interested in Kalienar.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Thank you Nordentro. Seems not many people are interested in Kalienar.

Interested enough to read this topic and consider looking for one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy: PM sent.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samples Woodrim! I like the bird one the most. Superb lighting for all of them.

I love my Hartblei 2.8/150: http://forum.mflenses.com/camouflage-hartblei-2-8-150mm-kiev-6c-hp5-t51716,highlight,%2Bhartblei.html It's basically a MC Kaleinar in a new shell. I would rate it only slightly less than the Sonnar 2.8/180 and that's saying something! It delivers a flatter looking image but it's almost as sharp wide-open and offers a smooth background.

I have a few rolls coming back soon from my Pentacon Six. I'll be sure to share those.