Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Spotless Spotmatic...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Spotless Spotmatic... Reply with quote

When I found someone local giving away a Spotmatic (albeit with no lenses, just a microscope adapter and some extension tubes, I was pretty sure that the camera was either really beat up or had something screwy. I was wrong. The thing is SPOTLESS (aka in mint condition) and the shutter fires properly at all speeds from 1 second to 1/1000. Even the self-timer works still. All I need to test is the PC sync port (Model Night at camera club should do the trick for that) and find a way to test the meter (darn them for banning mercury!!!) and get some glass to run a test roll (darn all 3 local used camera places I know about for having NO M-42 lenses in stock today) and I should know if I got the steal of the decade or a pretty-but-broken shelf piece.

For those who care. a bit of camera pr0n follows:
]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch.
Out of curiousity, could you measure the microscope adapter threads at the mic end for me? Is it about 30mm across with a fine thread? I ask because I suspect a gizmo of mine has a mic thread, but I'm not sure of it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love camera pRoN! The Spotmatic series is so beautiful, and then you show this one with its pristine attributes! A REALLY nice piece of machinery!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Nice catch.
Out of curiousity, could you measure the microscope adapter threads at the mic end for me? Is it about 30mm across with a fine thread? I ask because I suspect a gizmo of mine has a mic thread, but I'm not sure of it.

Quote:
The first to succeed in persuading microscope manufacturers to use the same threads on their objectives was the Microscopal Society of London, known after 1866 as the Royal Microscopal Society (RMS), which is the origin of the term "society thread," by which the standard is known. The society thread has 36 threads per inch of the 55° Whitworth form. The male thread has an outer diameter of 0.7965 inch (between 0.7952 inch and 0.7982 inch). The female thread, in the nosepiece, has a top-of-thread diameter between 0.8030 inch and 0.8000 inch.
http://www.sizes.com/tools/microscope.htm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
I love camera pRoN! The Spotmatic series is so beautiful, and then you show this one with its pristine attributes! A REALLY nice piece of machinery!

Yeah, it really is. I just need lenses. PM me if you want to donate some Razz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations - almost as beautiful as the pre-Spotmatics Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Farside wrote:
Nice catch.

Quote:
The first to succeed in persuading microscope manufacturers to use the same threads on their objectives was the Microscopal Society of London, known after 1866 as the Royal Microscopal Society (RMS), which is the origin of the term "society thread," by which the standard is known. The society thread has 36 threads per inch of the 55° Whitworth form. The male thread has an outer diameter of 0.7965 inch (between 0.7952 inch and 0.7982 inch). The female thread, in the nosepiece, has a top-of-thread diameter between 0.8030 inch and 0.8000 inch.
http://www.sizes.com/tools/microscope.htm

Ah well, it's obviously not that then. Thanks for the link.