Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss 180/2.8 pop
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Zeiss 180/2.8 pop Reply with quote

I love my birds of prey...

Gyr Falcon by Gaz Sutherland, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic shoot! Which lens exactly ?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

That 180/2.8 zebra I bought from YOU Wink Laughing

And thanks Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Attila wrote:

And thanks Very Happy

Jena P6? Surprised

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Attila wrote:

And thanks Very Happy

Damn I was st*d to sell it Laughing kidding of course , nice to see great result!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Attila wrote:

And thanks Very Happy

Jena P6? Surprised

Yeah, Jena DDR on the front.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Attila wrote:

And thanks Very Happy

Damn I was st*d to sell it Laughing kidding of course , nice to see great result!

Laughing Laughing I love it but sometimes wish it was a little bit lighter Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Attila wrote:

And thanks Very Happy

Jena P6? Surprised

Wow, I have this lens too, but can't say I've been close to this result! Good job! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Attila wrote:

And thanks Very Happy

Attila,

One more chapter to the series "Moments I regret..."

Laughing

Nice photo, congrats!

[]s,

Renato

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Attila wrote:

And thanks Very Happy

Jena P6? Surprised

Wow, I have this lens too, but can't say I've been close to this result! Good job! Very Happy

Thank you.
I have a bit of experience of shooting birds in flight, it takes equal measures of good timing and luck to get a capture like this. With practice and patience, anyone can do it.
I'm hooked on the pop that I get from my Zeiss lenses and my Bokina these days. Razz

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSalles wrote:

Nice photo, congrats!

[]s,

Renato

Thanks Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Nordentro wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Attila wrote:

And thanks Very Happy

Jena P6? Surprised

Thank you.
I have a bit of experience of shooting birds in flight, it takes equal measures of good timing and luck to get a capture like this. With practice and patience, anyone can do it.
I'm hooked on the pop that I get from my Zeiss lenses and my Bokina these days. Razz

So do you pre-focus and wait, or do you have another technique? Surprised

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:

Well the focus throw is different with each lens, as you know, so I spend the first 5 minutes reviving the muscle memory for whatever lens I'm using. Then I focus on the fly as I'm following the bird's flight. I shoot bursts of 3 or 4 frames for each shot and if I'm lucky I'll get one pretty good one, but maybe not a keeper. From the 30 minute falconry display I usually have ten or so good shots, but I'm very picky so only one or two will make it online. Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Well the focus throw is different with each lens, as you know, so I spend the first 5 minutes reviving the muscle memory for whatever lens I'm using. Then I focus on the fly as I'm following the bird's flight. I shoot bursts of 3 or 4 frames for each shot and if I'm lucky I'll get one pretty good one, but maybe not a keeper. From the 30 minute falconry display I usually have ten or so good shots, but I'm very picky so only one or two will make it online. Smile

Awesome, it can't be easy to get a bulls eye Wink
Do you shoot wide open or do you stop down to have better chance of success? Surprised

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
SonicScot wrote:
Nordentro wrote:

Awesome, it can't be easy to get a bulls eye Wink
Do you shoot wide open or do you stop down to have better chance of success? Surprised

Well stopping down does nothing to help me when shooting a bird travelling at up to 90mph! Laughing I never go smaller than f8 with the birds, more often I'm at the wide end.
I do want the background to be blurred but I don't want to allow the bokeh to take over the shot, so it's a balance between the two. I don't have hard rules regarding aperture when the birds are in flight but I usually stop down a few clicks from wide open. Of course, the available light plays a big part too.
With manual lenses I've found exposure to be the biggest challenge, a lot of my lenses require me to dial up the exposure to achieve a 'normal' exposure, this can't be done on the wing (pun intended) because the action is so very fast. Consequently I always shoot RAW because that gives me the best chance of 'fixing' the exposure in pp. The one above was typically underexposed but, thanks to RAW, I was able to save it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb capture, nice one!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

Thanks Graham Very Happy my dream lens for this activity is the one you use so well, the Vario-Sonnar 100-300. Sadly, santa forgot to drop it off last year despite my good behaviour. Sad Maybe next year....

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

Thanks Graham Very Happy my dream lens for this activity is the one you use so well, the Vario-Sonnar 100-300. Sadly, santa forgot to drop it off last year despite my good behaviour. Sad Maybe next year....

Haha! Your 180mm seems fine to me Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the old Canon 100-300L but the manual focussing is likely the worst ever made. It feels like it's about to drop off and sounds like the mechanism is full of sand. Because of that I've never used the MF and the AF is pitifully slow and sounds just awful. It is good glass, so maybe I should try it some time....I won't stand within earshot of anyone due to the embarrassing noise it makes. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great capture as always !

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Gary. It's always a great accomplishment to capture a BIF with a manual focus lens. I was getting better at it with my old camera, but it was still a percentage shot. I've found it much easier with the NEX and focus peaking. Getting it perfect is still a percentage shot, but the percentages are much higher. I focus until I see the subject turn red, then click.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shot! I couldn't even (auto) focus on a stationary peregrine sitting on the ground! Sad

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Nice job, Gary. It's always a great accomplishment to capture a BIF with a manual focus lens. I was getting better at it with my old camera, but it was still a percentage shot. I've found it much easier with the NEX and focus peaking. Getting it perfect is still a percentage shot, but the percentages are much higher. I focus until I see the subject turn red, then click.

+1

Very impressive

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's shots like this that makes me want to sell all my gear and take up stamp collecting. Smile

But seriously, it's a stunning image and I appreciate your tips. The learning never stops.