Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question: old flash on Canon DSLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Question: old flash on Canon DSLR Reply with quote

I have some new old stock flashes, and one of them is the Praktica 632LCD flash.
Now: somebody wants to use this one on his Canon, i think it is a 400D, which has 5 contacts.

We live too far apart from each other to simply give it a try, does anybody here have experience with old flashes on Canon digital?

I know that it will not communicate and adjust flash power, but that is not the point. If he can manually use some functions, that is perfectly okay.
The question is: will it work at all. The flash has 3 little contacts, placed in a triangle.....

i am only familiar with the Sony/Minolta flashes.... and just want to be sure that i send him a working item!

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you better check the output voltage as DSLRs are more delicate than old film cameras for old flashguns........IMO (not an expert on digital stuff) that 6v would be ok as my electronic Canon film camera has a matching Canon flashgun at that voltage.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no voltage issue, he has checked that on a website, so he says...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
There is no voltage issue, he has checked that on a website, so he says...

As far as I've discovered, the max voltage that the 400D can handle is 8v. Anything greater will fry the electronics apparently. I have an
old Hanimex flash which I measured at over 200V so I've never risked that on my 400D! Smile But I often use the Minolta Auto200X (2.9v)
and Auto360PX (5.2v) and so far no problems.

This might be the website he looked at
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
It lists three Praktica flashes which have been tested. The only one that is suitable is the B32LCD at 4v.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if a site says it is safe, always check for yourself, they could have changed the design at some point.

The only contacts that matter are the center point and the ground at the side of the shoe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks!

The flash has a trigger voltage between 4.5 and 6 volts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliott wrote:
Even if a site says it is safe, always check for yourself, they could have changed the design at some point.

The only contacts that matter are the center point and the ground at the side of the shoe.

+1, a voltmeter is much cheaper than a fried camera Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 400D should be ok up to 250 volts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 10D and 350D were of the same generation and only coped with up to 6V on the hotshoe. Canons after that had a greater tolerance, up to 250V, as Martin says.

To get back to the use of the flash - if it's a thyristor gun, it will work in thyristor auto mode - set the camera in manual, say 1/60th and f:8 and fire the gun in auto.

On the back of the gun should be a chart with sliders (some guns have active sliders, in that they'll actually adjust the power settings; most guns have simple dumb sliders which are just a setting guide for the user).
Set the camera according to what the sliders say for ISO/ASA , distance and aperture and see how it goes.

If it's a manual-only gun and has no thyristor control, or its control depended on the TTL function of the old film camera, then it will fire a full-power burst and all you can do is adjust the lens aperture to suit that, at say, 1/60th or 1/125 or whatever the sync speed of the camera is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok , thanks a lot! it is a thyristor gun, so this should most probably work all right!

Thanks for thinking with me here!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Where did you read that Martin? I'd like to find out the max voltage for the NEX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Ok , thanks a lot! it is a thyristor gun, so this should most probably work all right!

I just found this...
http://dpanswers.com/roztr/flash_show.php?id=318&pid=PA632LCD
It's true what it says about the old TTL pins - they might need to be shut off with a bit of tape in the hotshoe or simply removed, leaving only the centre pin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Where did you read that Martin? I'd like to find out the max voltage for the NEX

This was posted on the Canon forum, many years ago. I think it came from a Canon tech, but Canon would not back it up. A number of people had verified that some high voltage flashes posed no problems. I've used a couple of flashes that were in the 150v range on 400D and 40D with no problems at all. I know the 300D will not tolerate much, but I think it changed after that model so the 350D is ok (don't quote me on that).

For NEX, I would look on other forums and see what the consensus is. Or you could try emailing tech support at Sony.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
peterqd wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

This was posted on the Canon forum, many years ago. I think it came from a Canon tech, but Canon would not back it up.

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0703/tech-tips.html

Quote:
It's likely you'll never see an official list of all Canon SLRs according to this specification, because Canon Inc. (our parent company in Japan) simply doesn't do things like that. I've been with Canon USA since 1982, so I'm in a pretty good position to know Canon Inc.'s habits. However, I'll be happy to provide you with my unofficial list:

Canon Digital SLRs safe for TCV up to 250 volts:
EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds
EOS 30D, 20D, 5D
EOS Digital Rebel XTi, XT (400D/350D)
EOS D6000/D2000, Kodak DCS560/DCS520 (circa 1998)
EOS-DCS series (circa 1995)

Canon Digital SLRs safe for TCV up to 6 volts:
EOS 10D, D60, D30
EOS Digital Rebel (300D)

Canon 35mm SLRs safe for TCV up to 250 volts:
EOS-1V, EOS-1N, EOS-1, EOS 3

Canon 35mm and IX240 SLRs safe for TCV up to 6 volts:
EOS 650, 620, 630, RT
EOS 850, 750, 700
EOS Rebel Series
EOS Elan Series
EOS 10s, A2E, A2
EOS IX, IX Lite
T90

Canon SLRs released earlier than the T90 did not have TTL flash circuits, and comprehensive information on safe TCV levels is not available.

The trigger circuit voltage (TCV) rating for any EOS SLR is the same on the hot shoe as it is on the PC terminal (if the camera has one), but the acceptable TCV level varies according to the camera model. Incidentally, the main reason for the difference is the way the X-sync signal is generated. With the 250V cameras, the X-sync signal is generated electronically. With the 6V cameras, the X-sync signal is generated mechanically. There are no guarantees, but going forward I anticipate that most if not all future EOS SLRs will be safe for TCV up to 250 volts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
TrueLoveOne wrote:

I just found this...
http://dpanswers.com/roztr/flash_show.php?id=318&pid=PA632LCD
It's true what it says about the old TTL pins - they might need to be shut off with a bit of tape in the hotshoe or simply removed, leaving only the centre pin.

I was just about to make this same comment. I found out the hard way. I tried using a ring flash dedicated for Nikon TTL on my EOS DSLR. Those extra contacts played hell with the settings on my EOS. I ended up taping over them and just using the ring flash in straight manual mode.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Old flash on Sony A330 Reply with quote

I searched the whole forum but found no answer If already asked i regret. I avoid to open a new thread and thought to put my request here .I have Metz 60CT1/2 and want to use on Sony A330. I have Wein Safe Sync and located Yongnuo YN-H3 adapter which is perhaps for old Minolta flash. There are lot of hot shoe adapters for sony on ebay. I will appreciate if compatible/economical hot shoe adapter for above combination is advised. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gill on Sat May 11, 2013 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK to answer your question. Assuming the voltage is Ok (4.5v I understand).

On the rear panel, switch the flash to Auto mode, plus there is a little switch just above the shoe, select M. This turns off all the connector pins. If you are using the remote trigger/sensor and hand grip select M on the trigger.

Attach the flash, if you are using the grip make sure the extension trigger/sensor is attached to your cameras hot shoe. Put your camera into Manual mode, select the fastest flash sync shutter speed. If you're not sure, be safe and select 1/50th of a sec.

Now I'm not too sure of this bit so bear with me. When switched on, the LCD panel ought to tell you which aperture to use with a given ASA/ISO, select that aperture. The panel tells you the safest nearest or farthest distances. That can vary with the ISO selected. The flash computes the exposure itself by measuring the amount of light reflected from the subject.

Now if the info I have given you above is not 100% correct regards selecting the aperture, select ISO200 on the camera and take a series of pictures at f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8 at a distance of say 3 metres or 10 feet. Whichever is the best exposed, then use that aperture.

If you are using the grip the trigger/sensor mounted on the camera will calculate the exposure where ever the flash is pointing. I use a brolly or reflector or bounce it off the ceiling he sensor will automatically adjust the output of the flash. Increase the ISO to allow you to use it to best effect.

I use lots of old flashguns on my Nikon DSLR's I don't worry about the voltage because i use a Wein safesync

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="philslizzy"]OK to answer your question. Assuming the voltage is Ok (4.5v I understand).

Thanks Philslizzy of detailed reply. I want to use Metz flashes on hot shoe of a330 instead of wireless triggering. Wireless triggering become useless when lot of photographer are working around. I have CTR 103 P triggers and off camera doing fine. In another thread someone is reported Pixel hot shoe adapter TF 325 and issue of voltage of difference of each flashes. I have asked him to use with Wein safe sync if every flash is sync. with this hot shoe. waiting his reply.