Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My first EOS Full Frame camera?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: My first EOS Full Frame camera? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am not talking this time about a 5D. Very Happy

I have the oportunity to buy from a friend a Canon EOS 600 (EOS 630 in America) in pretty good shape, for just 25 euros.

I just wanted to know it's weaknesses and strong points if you had one of them. I am a total beginner in film cameras. You have to tell me something really bad to let it pass... Razz

This is the camera info from Canon:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1986-1990/1989_eos630_qd.html?lang=eu&categ=crn&page=1986-1990

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 euros are you joking ? buy it and if not work use it as a nice doorstop Smile
it have interchangeable focusing screen so it is usable with manual lenses
spot 6.5% is also nice
I have a 50e and a eos 3 and there is quite a difference between them

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I've got an EOS 600. It's a very robust cam with an almost professional "attiutude".

But you really have to be aware of one essential thing:
The rubbery thing around the shutter case that is there to soften any impact of mechanical parts connected to the shutter, tend to resolve into some kind of oily substance after some time.
This causes the shutter to stick or not work at all. Evera third picture or so, is for the bin. A professional cleaning and replacement would be much too expensive. I have tried to clean the metal shutter curtains of my copy with some lighter liquid and I succeeded, but only to a certain extent. Still it sometimes hangs.
You might want to check on that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carsten,

That is a very valuable information.

The seller is a very honest guy and he says it works well (checked)
I assume that it's been unused for a long time, because he also owns a 30D and he's happy with it. I will ask him about what you said, and will check personally, because the camera will pass directly from his hands to mine. Very Happy

Should I assume that it is something like a 30D of that time? The numbers Canon used at that time do not make too much sense to me.

It's a pity that it doesn't include a flash. Is possible to use a modern flash (like a 430EX) with it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juanma wrote:

Should I assume that it is something like a 30D of that time? The numbers Canon used at that time do not make too much sense to me.

Canon's numbering system was thus... the smaller the number, the more expensive the camera, i.e. a 1A pro-grade, 300 consumer. A 600 or 650 was a mid level SLR. Entry level was the EOS 1000. Today they've sort of carried that system on, but fudged it somewhat as they introduce new models.

Quote:

It's a pity that it doesn't include a flash. Is possible to use a modern flash (like a 430EX) with it?

I don't know how backward-compatible an EX flash would be (I'd hazard a guess it probably is), but the older non-digi Canon flashes are fairly cheap as many people think they are not compatible with dSLRs - which is not true, most of the older flashes work fine in manual mode. This applies to virtually all the older flashes and there are some very nice bargains out there. Using manual flash is easy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something which might shed some light on it (pun intended).

http://web.archive.org/web/19980213120646/bobatkins.photo.net/info/faq30/flashfaq.htm

It's not quite clear whether an EX unit will work with an older film EOS which was not extant when EX came out. I would think that would be the case, though, for it would be foolish of Canon to restrict their sales to only buyers of new cameras. Oh, wait a minute, they did just that when they dumped their old mount. So who knows? I presume yours has basic TTL. All you can do it try it.

Further googling revealed an answer...
http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005juw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Juanma wrote:

Canon's numbering system was thus... the smaller the number, the more expensive the camera, i.e. a 1A pro-grade, 300 consumer. A 600 or 650 was a mid level SLR. Entry level was the EOS 1000. Today they've sort of carried that system on, but fudged it somewhat as they introduce new models.

Yes, but this is not entirely true for the 6xx series, since these were the first cams for the new EOS system and thus a level higher than the later three digit models such as the EOS 500 that I also own. There is a huge difference between my 600 and my 500!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Farside wrote:
Juanma wrote:

Yes, but this is not entirely true for the 6xx series, since these were the first cams for the new EOS system and thus a level higher than the later three digit models such as the EOS 500 that I also own. There is a huge difference between my 600 and my 500!!!

That's good news! And the flash issue is now clear. TTL metering with an EX flash should be fine.

Thank you both. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Yes, you're right, the 600 is a step above the 500, which shows they were fudgeing the numbering system 20 years ago.
http://web.archive.org/web/19990220062025/www.cmpsolv.com/photozone/canoncamera.htm
It's one of those systems which gradually gets further out of whack as the marketing types take over.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how much this is different from 620-650 series. For manual focusing people, those are the cameras to go. Canon made the focussing screen for those camera. Its pity, Canon never made for other ones..

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/canon/canon_620-650/canon_eos_620-650-3.htm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I have it here with me. Very Happy Is this one:

It seems to work 100% ok. I tested the shutter and no problems. Battery is 50% charged, so it must last for long. The seller was so kind that he gave me a Cd with all the manuals in electronic format.

I just put on it a random lens (not really, I choose a powerful one Razz ) and took a picture of the machine for you.

Can't wait to load some film and make it work. Cool