Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 135mm f3.5 preset T-mount - - Manufacturer?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 135mm f3.5 preset T-mount - - Manufacturer? Reply with quote

The subject lens arrived today and I'm all smiles . . Very Happy

Lens is virtually like new. It's a joy just looking at it and holding it.

However

The lens is in such good shape it's difficult to gauge its age. It must be pre-1970 . . right? If so, the serial number

does not provide a guide as to manufacturer. Does anyone have a lens like this? Any guesses as to manufacturer?

Here is the auction:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the early vivitar line, which we haven't figured the manufacturer of yet. I have the 85/1.8 which is superb Smile Recently i picked up the 28mm from this line too, and previously owned the 300mm prime. These lenses were also branded Aico, but sadly that doesn't help with identification.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear that Vivitar is made by the same manufacturer as the Dollonds 200 / 3.5 that I actually have on the desk right now, and when I posted about this lens the word on the street said it was probably a Tokina. I've been using the Dollonds today and it is really very good.
The whole pre set style and finish of the lens, the almost invisible dot between the numbers at f5.6, the they are the same.

http://forum.mflenses.com/dollonds-s-200mm-f3-5-t61966,highlight,%2Bdollonds.html

I was just about to resurrect this post about the Dollonds lens to add some new pictures as well.
Wink

but.....I've just followed the links to this thread,
http://forum.mflenses.com/mistery-lenses-collection-t23606.html
and luisalegria ( whose knowledge of such things is legendary ) says it might not be Tokina? And I then speculated on a Russian origin following SonicScot's link to a KOMZ lens on ebay that had almost identical, distinctive, aperture blades. Which I bet that 135 has got.
It's a good mystery, I think a series of lenses could be identified with a bit of detective work. Wink

Last edited by Lloydy on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that looks a good match Lloydy! A great looking lens Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clue on the Vivitar presets is that two of them seem to have been made in both preset and auto versions, and the auto versions are well known Kirons.
These are the 20/3.8 and the 28/2.5

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
A clue on the Vivitar presets is that two of them seem to have been made in both preset and auto versions, and the auto versions are well known Kirons.
These are the 20/3.8 and the 28/2.5

Don't forget the 85-205mm f/3.8.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the 85-205/3.8 was also available as a preset. I believe Big Dawg had one, though his had the "22" code.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
True, the 85-205/3.8 was also available as a preset. I believe Big Dawg had one, though his had the "22" code.

I once spotted one in the 'bright-band' flavor with a 9-blade diaphragm and an older serial number. However, I doubt the lens in question here is Kiron.

For the record, I have something similar with a scalloped focus ring; I'm also curious as to what it is.