Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what have I done (RB Auto Graflex Series B )
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: what have I done (RB Auto Graflex Series B ) Reply with quote

Goes to show, I doubt I'll update my digital camera any time soon. There's just so much interesting film stuff out there. So despite being in the 'save for an upgrade digital' mode, when I saw this unbid I knew I had to have it, if it still was going unbid at the end. It was, and I did, and I own it now. Beat the other bidder by $0.25 Twisted Evil

RB Auto Graflex Series B

I can barely make out the second letter of the lens serial, I think it looks like an S making it 1947

Click here to see on Ebay

Last edited by Nesster on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a magnificent old camera . . a real collector's item I can see why you wanted it so badly. What roll film does it use? It is still available?

My old Graflex is a more mundane "press" camera. It's been in storage for so many years, unseen, I hope it remains in OK shape. I'm pretty certain I lack a roll film back for mine. I probably should try to find one on eBay.

It's funny how you remember bad things. Probably fifteen years ago I had a buyer come to my home to buy a tripod. He noticed my Graflex, which was out at that time, and asked to see it. He was a stranger, but a mature man, not a kid. He seemed OK.

Anyway, he expressed his admiration for my Graflex, then he reached out and violently moved the old bellows in a way that caused me both surprise and alarm. Bellows deteriorate with age and need gentle treatment to say the least. I separated the fellow from my camera, but too late. What an idiot he was . . and I was, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Camera rape. Ought to be outlawed.

The thing that put me over with this, apart from the price and the fact that sooner or later I'd have to have one, is that it comes with a 120 back. The mask is 6x9, but the '22' is numbered for 6x6 - so I'll have to put marks on the dial for 8 rather than 12 frames. Should not be too difficult. Eventually I can get a '23' back.

The lens too ought to be a good one, the Ektars are 4 element lenses and back then were top quality. This one is Lumenized

A fun bit from my research online - apparently you spray lemon Pledge on the shutter curtains, let it sit for a while and then wipe off the excess - that keeps the curtains supple. And adjusting the tension/speed looks to be a fairly simple matter as well.

All in all, I think I'm more excited about this than I would be getting a new digital... though the sane part of me points out I'd use the digital more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but would your new digital still be working in 2079? I doubt it. Smile Nice buy, and I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

K.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an apparatus with a great presence, a thing used by serious photographers. I look forward to seeing some results. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great buy, its hard to find a similarly capable camera.
Not a lot of 6x9 slr's out there!
Things to check- the usual sort of stuff, but these data particularly prone to them.
Pinholes of course.
Timing. Unless obviously off such as the slow curtain tensions sticking, tough to test without exposure tests.
Correspondence of groundglass with film plane. This includes issues with film flatness. I have been struggling with this with the graphic roll holders and even the later Singer types. Its not too much of a problem to figure out a true film plane, by measuring the center of the film in the hold err, the trouble is that this is not constant . In the end I adapted a German Rollex holder made for 6x9 plate cameras that is more consistent. The practical effect is that for closeups you want to shoot at f/8 or so to allow for focus uncertainty.
Light leaks in the film holder. I found that on some of these its best to leave the dark slide semi-inserted.
I also made a dark slide stub just to leave inserted to block the slide channel.
Check the seal of the bottom of the mirror when closed. The material there can be damaged and leak.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, always informative and to the point Smile Looks like the camera will arrive early next week...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnificent beast!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, look forward to seeing some results.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a camera! It's a garden log burner! Looks like fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great camera.

And now you can take it to some tourist tour and ask someone: "Can you take a photo of us? Just press there."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It arrived, and is nicer than described. The lens is in good shape, the shutter works though I have to learn how to operate it, and the back is in fact a 6x6 back. This is the second largest 6x6 SLR I've seen Very Happy Thing is one of my 6x9 backs may well work with the camera; it is a fairly simple attachment. And I'm looking for a Graflex 23 back of course...

What popped out of the box today by Nesster, on Flickr

Kodak Ektar f:4.5 127mm lumenized by Nesster, on Flickr

Operating controls

Patina

vf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, its 1947.
Looks like a beauty.