Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

aperture and shutter in relation to image...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: aperture and shutter in relation to image... Reply with quote

This topic was part of another post, but I was wanting to try and expand on this particular subject.

Let's say I have a low aperture setting and a fast shutter speed, and a high aperture setting with a slow shutter speed (I think that's right) and my light meter tells me both are perfectly exposed. The depth of field will be different right?--I think the answer to this is definitely yes, but can someone clarify this for me?

This caused a user by the name of David to make a very interesting observation, with photo examples. He said, "In addition to Peter's answer, I would note that colors will be different based on those settings. If you ever shoot HDR, that uses different aperture settings to catch different colors and tones. But two photos exposed ideally with different aperture and shutter combinations can change how an image appears."

Here is an example. The first image was taken wide open (f2, I think) at a fast shutter speed. The second was at f8, slower shutter speed. Both were ideally exposed according to the light meter.
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20131/6394_f2fastShutterSpeed_1.jpg
http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20131/6394_f8slowerShutterSpeed_1.jpg

So why is David's second photo more of a wash with less contrast in colors? Is it more due to the higher aperture, or does it have more to do with the slow shutter speed? I'm not sure how aperture exactly affects color, but I would think it's more due to the slow shutter speed.

Can anyone talk about the causal differences between David's two photographs?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect that they are taken with a digital camera and something made the colour temporature change between shots. I have not experienced this on film.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use HDR to capture a set of different exposures, not identical exposures made with different settings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use different aperture settings to create HDR, that wouldn't work so well as the dof would change. i set the aperture then change the shutter speed for each exposure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced sometimes coloration differences from wide open to stopped down with some lenses.
I don't know what can be the cause.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: aperture and shutter in relation to image... Reply with quote

ftngrave wrote:

Can anyone talk about the causal differences between David's two photographs?

I have never come across any article talking about different aperture or different shutter speed causing different color rendering. I don't think that different shutter speed can made responsible but imagine that 'veiling flare' and other flaring issues when shot wide open possibly could have an influence?
some good articles:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/colour_theory.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/lens-contrast.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I would suspect that they are taken with a digital camera and something made the colour temporature change between shots.

The two shots each have a different framing/perspective - maybe that makes a difference.

Each picture has a number of "white" spots. They are in different positions in the two pictures. Let's make a wild guess and assume that they are snowflakes. We can then use them as "white points" to adjust the colours. There is then a much better match between the colours in the two pictures. I won't show the results without the photographer's permission. But you can try it yourselves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: aperture and shutter in relation to image... Reply with quote

ftngrave wrote:
Let's say I have a low aperture setting and a fast shutter speed, and a high aperture setting with a slow shutter speed (I think that's right) and my light meter tells me both are perfectly exposed. The depth of field will be different right?--I think the answer to this is definitely yes, but can someone clarify this for me?

Yes, aperture affects depth of field (DoF).

Stopping down the aperture increases DoF. Opening up the aperture decreases DoF.

Let's say we've got a fast 50mm lens.
- For a landscape shot, stop down for more DoF. Now exposure increases and we may even need a tripod.
- Same lens, now we're shooting a pretty girl's portrait. It's currently fashionable to do that with a very small DoF, let's slide the aperture wide open. As a bonus exposure time gets quite short and we can stow the tripod.