Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ferraniacolor 100, Contax RX, various lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Ferraniacolor 100, Contax RX, various lenses Reply with quote

Some weeks ago I've been able to get a handful of Ferraniacolor 100 film rolls, VERY expired (2006).
The film is nearly impossible to find today, so I gladly took them anyway. Now I really regret that I didn't stock on it while it was still possible.

FIlm developed by local lab. I have the chems to do it at home, but I never did before, so I did not want to risk this roll as I knew there were some good takes in it.
Unfortunately the lab has scratched the film in some parts and there are dirt and calcareous spots, if I could choose now I'd risk home developing anyway.
I used Contax RX camera with mostly "Hollywood" Distagon 2/28, a few ones also taken with Planar 2/100 and S-Planar 2.8/60. Info under each picture.
Scanned with Reflecta ProScan 7200 (I left it on for a long time and forgot to recalibrate it, so a couple of images show some banding). Scanning software Silverfast SE Plus.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful colors! I love these lens... Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simply striking! i'm overwhelmed by these images. the color is amazing. the sharpness and clarity is among the best ive seen.
tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
simply striking! i'm overwhelmed by these images. the color is amazing. the sharpness and clarity is among the best ive seen.
tony

+1 stunning from every aspects, heat off!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful. I am amazed at the quality after the various transformations the medium has passed through. I would imagine the originals are quite extraordinary.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing results. colors and contrast on highlight and shadow area has nice balance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The Ferrania 100 is an amazing film, it somehow reminds me of (believe it or not) Kodachrome 64.
Patrick, I'm not sure to understand which transformations are you referring to. I just scanned the negatives Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, wonderful colors (miss Ferrania, dammit!) and clarity. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results which will encourage people to try film.......Ferrania is a film I can't remember ever using Sad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expose negative, develop, (print), scan, process scanned version - each step could have a marked effect on the result. These seem to have come through this chain pretty much unscathed.

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful pics ! Love the rendering . This Ferraniacolor is different from the Ferrania Solaris ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
This Ferraniacolor is different from the Ferrania Solaris ?

It's in fact Ferrania Solaris - I am used to call it Ferraniacolor since older times Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
yinyangbt wrote:
This Ferraniacolor is different from the Ferrania Solaris ?

It's in fact Ferrania Solaris - I am used to call it Ferraniacolor since older times Smile

Thank you , Orio !

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciao Orio,
beautiful rendition of the film and lenses. Like it. #8 and # 11 are stunning.

I understand your sadness about the bad treatment that lab did. Today i got back two 4x5" PROVIA 100F that i fired some days ago.. the price was 15 euro for the development and both are a bit damaged by the lab ... can't believe that i pay 7,5 euro each and they don't treat with the maximum care the sheet films.

I decided to give up with sheets and start again with 120 rollfilms developing on my own (i have the equipment to develop 120, i sold 15 years ago the enlarger when i changed home where i have had the darkroom for 20 years).

Sorry for OT

roby

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, Roby.
Instead of giving up, you should develop your large format at home. Tetenal sells the chemicals for both C41 and E6.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely colours and lack of grain. It is a shame the local Poundshop didn't have any of this film.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Lovely colours and lack of grain. It is a shame the local Poundshop didn't have any of this film.

I think that no shop has it anymore Skida, the production of the 100 ISO film stopped years ago, maybe you might still find some 200 ISO if you are lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. It WAS the 200 they were selling recently, not the 100 you used here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one roll left of the Ferrania 100, just waiting for the perfect day in summer
to use it. What a shame it's no longer made.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ferraniacolor 100, Contax RX, various lenses Reply with quote

Hi Orio, the colours of this film are really special, I love them. And the scanning has done a great job of reproducing them - my scanner mostly gives everything a blue cast.

This picture makes me more and more curious every time I see it. I can't believe this lens has that much barrel distortion to cause the tall buildings to appear to lean like that. I'm really surprised.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ferraniacolor 100, Contax RX, various lenses Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

This picture makes me more and more curious every time I see it. I can't believe this lens has that much barrel distortion to cause the tall buildings to appear to lean like that. I'm really surprised.

hi Peter,
indeed the Hollywood Distagon is not the best wide angle distortion-wise:

In that particular case, however, the impression is made worse by the tilting of the camera.
If I kept the camera straight, you would maybe still notice the distortion, but a lot less, see this example below:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, that's a lot better, but I'm not convinced about the camera being very far out of level. I tried rotating the image 3° CCW but it doesn't correct it, the trees and the building on the right look wrong then. I can't help thinking the old 4/20 Flektogon would do a much better job.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Agreed, that's a lot better, but I'm not convinced about the camera being very far out of level. I tried rotating the image 3° CCW but it doesn't correct it, the trees and the building on the right look wrong then.

Maybe "tilt" is the wrong word for what I mean.
What I mean is that the point in the centre of the lens is aimed higher than the horizon level.
(maybe "pitch" could be the right word for that?)

peterqd wrote:
I can't help thinking the old 4/20 Flektogon would do a much better job.

Most certainly it would, distortion-wise.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
peterqd wrote:
Agreed, that's a lot better, but I'm not convinced about the camera being very far out of level. I tried rotating the image 3° CCW but it doesn't correct it, the trees and the building on the right look wrong then.

Maybe "tilt" is the wrong word for what I mean.
What I mean is that the point in the centre of the lens is aimed higher than the horizon level.
(maybe "pitch" could be the right word for that?)

Ah, of course! Doh.... Smile
Tilt is probably the word I would have used too. In surveying, it's the "angle of inclination" and artillery gunners would probably say "angle of elevation", but it's doubtful I would have used either of those.

But it's not all down to that I think. There's a lot of curvature in the image - the lower building actually appears to be leaning the other way.

Quote:
peterqd wrote:
I can't help thinking the old 4/20 Flektogon would do a much better job.

Most certainly it would, distortion-wise.

I'm relieved to hear it. I've spent too long trying to work out if the building was built like it! Smile