Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fall colours, Albert County, 2012 pt 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Fall colours, Albert County, 2012 pt 3 Reply with quote

And here we go again, on a sunny day at the height of the fall colours. (Pt 1 here, Pt 2 here)

I invite any and all critique.

1-4 Pentacon 29/2.8 at around f/8
5-9 Zeiss Planar 50/1.7 at around f/8

1.) just off the Albert Mines road

2.) a small part of a local gentleman's collection of used vehicles and equipment

3.) the Pentacon has nice colours, but it's not sharp enough at infinity

4.) small lake at the other end of Albert mines road. The Pentacon isn't getting any sharper, the reflection is the best part of the image.

5.) same spot, switched to Zeiss. Love the colours but sure miss the wideness.

6.) fall cliche

7.) slow decay

8.) an unexpected splash of colour

9.) This is Shenstone. But in Albert County every goddamn hillside looks like this, if only you can find an angle to capture it.

EDIT - turns out the Pentacon has trouble with the infinity stop, test shots here - http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1268684.html

Last edited by fuzzywuzzy on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the glow on the second one.
I missed Albert Mines road last year. It rained all day long. I barely made Hopewell rocks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of all the lenses I sold, I miss the Zeiss Planars , that 50/1.7 is a gem!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful area and pictures! I like especially last one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure a beautiful place and a great series, I like the warm colors but the pictures done with the pentacon seems indeed a little bit soft!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#6 stands out for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely scenery, but shame that the Pentacon was crap for distance use....maybe a pano next time with your Planar lens.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely colours and scenery Smile

Is the Pentacon focusing beyond infinity? Or perhaps not even reaching it? Seems to have very poor results for a decent lens. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx all for comments.

Himself - on a rainy day Albert Mines you wouldn't have missed a lot Wink

Dude163 - yeah, I think of the Planar as my "boring" lens, when all I want is good colours and sharpness. The sun wasn't far out of the frame in that last one, and with a tiny bit of PP I still got the shot.

Attila, Hoanpham - thanks!

Pich900, Excalibur - The Pentacon is frustrating. Around the house taking snaps of the kids etc. it's consistently decent. On #2 it captured lots of detail on the truck, in the RAW file at 100% you can see frost patterns on the window etc. I'll stick it on the tripod and play around with max zoom Live View, maybe it's focusing past infinity or something?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've got a subpar copy of Pentacon Crying or Very sad Mine has quickly become one of the personal favorites. For example, I prefer it to Konica 1.7/50. If you used the infinity hard stop instead of magnified live view, then the lens is most certainly misfocused.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon does indeed have an infinity stop problem, some test shots here - http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1268684.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Lovely scenery, but shame that the Pentacon was crap for distance use....maybe a pano next time with your Planar lens.

+1 never use it at distance, use only up to a 10-15 meters.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #3, I would try focusing on the foreground and use the DOF as the Autumn colors should come out like a painting.Don't give up!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I like #3, I would try focusing on the foreground and use the DOF as the Autumn colors should come out like a painting.Don't give up!

I may give up on the Pentacon, but I'll chase those fall colours until the last leaf drops. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Spoken like a true fanatic!