Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1st shots with Pentax S1a and 55mm f2 Super-Tak NEW SHOTS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: 1st shots with Pentax S1a and 55mm f2 Super-Tak NEW SHOTS Reply with quote

Okay - first result from the first roll of film I've put through this camera.

Film Fuji Reala - scan unsharpened

Metering using my dodgy understanding of Sunny f16 rule:

125/f4

More too follow.

Last edited by Richard_D on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb textures Richard
your golden egg is cool but we want more shots

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will enjoy much your M42 camera, Richard.
I had the Bessie with me in Budapest and I highly enjoyed it. You can get miles of beautiful performance out of humble M42 lenses like the MIR-24M or the Jupiter-37AM. And now I can look at the slide show of my vacation, which is not possible with digital unless you buy a very expensive projector.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
superb textures Richard
your golden egg is cool but we want more shots

Thanks. It was the first scan off the CD - I only picked it up at lunchtime. I'll try and resize a few more tonight when I get in from work.

I think I've photographed this water - pump (converted cannon) with almost every lens I own!

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well I guessed the exposure for most shots. I donz't think I would do as well on a dull day without bright sunshine to form a 'known reference point'.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I think you will enjoy much your M42 camera, Richard.
I had the Bessie with me in Budapest and I highly enjoyed it. You can get miles of beautiful performance out of humble M42 lenses like the MIR-24M or the Jupiter-37AM. And now I can look at the slide show of my vacation, which is not possible with digital unless you buy a very expensive projector.
Yes before I rush out and buy too many lenses for it I must remember I can swap the mounts on the jupiter37 Tair11 , Kalenar and Telear - but I know I'll give in to temptation fairly quickly Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a lovely combo. The "pre Spotmatic" Pentaxes are in my view the best of the screw mount series. If you look at the camera it has something of the feel of the Leica screw mount cameras (ignoring the pentaprism) Just nice proportions that fit well in the hand. The cameras are well made and you can see why as they were so popular.

If you get a chance hunt around on the internet to buy some early Takumar lenses. They are not expensive. Yours is great but I think really belongs to a later camera. (Although I am sure some may have been sold with the earlier bodies as these were regarded as the top of the pile in their day and some buyers would have "optioned up" after these became available.)

The more usual standard lens found on the s1a from memory is probably the 55mm f2 "auto" takumar. Despite the name, this is really a semi auto lens in that it had a cocking lever on the side of the body and you had to cock this lever to open the aperture for viewing. I like this process and find its actually a nice way to shoot. Somehow it complements the process of shooting without a meter. Slows you down and makes you think about your photographs. I suppose its part of adopting an earlier technology and "going with it". Plus the lens gives good results.

If you do this however, be aware that some early super takumars were also marked auto takumar so do not get them confused. I see the semi automatic auto takumars on eBay quite often and they seldom go for much money so are really good value.

There are also a lot of other good Takumar period lenses for this camera. Most usual are the 105mm f2.8 and 135mm f3.5 which are both available with both preset apertures and with semi auto apertures as described above. In any event, enjoy, its a nice camera and lens and you will get good results from it.

Here is a good reference site on early Pentax gear.

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_e.html

I have been collecting these for years (for use) and have a pretty good range of them myself. I dont think they made a really bad lens and some even at this early stage were simply outstanding.

Last edited by peterm1 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:30 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Richard! I think you're very brave to discard cameras with meters for a while and get back to "real" photography, when the cameraman had to think about the exposure as well as composition.

Normal film from that time was a lot slower than what we consider normal today. It would help, I think, if you were to stick to one film speed, maybe 50 or 100 ASA, while you're learning to judge exposures.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:
This is a lovely combo. The "pre Spotmatic" Pentaxes are in my view the best of the screw mount series. If you look at the camera it has something of the feel of the Leica screw mount cameras (ignoring the pentaprism) Just nice proportions that fit well in the hand. The cameras are well made and you can see why as they were so popular.

If you get a chance hunt around on the internet to buy some early Takumar lenses. They are not expensive. Yours is great but I think really belongs to a later camera. (Although I am sure some may have been sold with the earlier bodies as these were regarded as the top of the pile in their day and some buyers would have "optioned up" after these became available.)

The more usual standard lens found on the s1a from memory is probably the 55mm f2 "auto" takumar. Despite the name, this is really a semi auto lens in that it had a cocking lever on the side of the body and you had to cock this lever to open the aperture for viewing. I like this process and find its actually a nice way to shoot. Somehow it complements the process of shooting without a meter. Slows you down and makes you think about your photographs. I suppose its part of adopting an earlier technology and "going with it". Plus the lens gives good results.

If you do this however, be aware that some early super takumars were also marked auto takumar so do not get them confused. I see the semi automatic auto takumars on eBay quite often and they seldom go for much money so are really good value.

There are also a lot of other good Takumar period lenses for this camera. Most usual are the 105mm f2.8 and 135mm f3.5 which are both available with both preset apertures and with semi auto apertures as described above. In any event, enjoy, its a nice camera and lens and you will get good results from it.

Here is a good reference site on early Pentax gear.

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_e.html

I have been collecting these for years (for use) and have a pretty good range of them myself. I dont think they made a really bad lens and some even at this early stage were simply outstanding.

Thanks for the link Peter. It looks like the Super-Takumars ran from 1962-1971 which with the camera production running 1964-1968 would be about right.

I'm impressed with the build of the lens - it's lovely to use, and I'll definitely be looking for more at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Bravo Richard! I think you're very brave to discard cameras with meters for a while and get back to "real" photography, when the cameraman had to think about the exposure as well as composition.

Normal film from that time was a lot slower than what we consider normal today. It would help, I think, if you were to stick to one film speed, maybe 50 or 100 ASA, while you're learning to judge exposures.

Thanks Peter.

I'll continue to practice - high contrast scenes presented the biggest difficulty to judge. Getting hold of slower speed print film is getting difficult, and I don't think my eye is quite up to slide latitude yet Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More shots as promised:

f4/125

f5_6/125

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f8/125:

f5_6/125:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all of the takumar 50 lenses are of great build quality and great optical quality. You will have lots of fun. Let us know what you think about the camera too. As I said in my other post I particularly like this era of early Pentaxes and own a couple of S1a's, a Pentax K (with the slow speed dial on the front) an S2 and one other - cant recall which (how quickly one forgets.) Plus of course two Spotmatics (one chrome and one black) and a K 1000. VBut of all of these I like the S1a best. When I was going thru my early Pentax phase I picked up several early bodies just because they were cheap and they were nice. I still like them.

Of the lenses as I said I really am a sucker for the early preset ones and auto takumar ones but overall own, lets see if I can remember ....

- The 35mm f 3.5 auto Takumar
- The 35mm f 2.3 auto Takumar
- The 35mm f3.5 super Takumar
- The 35mm f3.5 SMC Takumar
- A couple of examples of the auto Takumar 55mm f2
- A couple of the super tak 50mm
- A super Takumar 50mm f1.4
- The SMC Macro Takumar f4.
- Two versions of the preset 105mm (with 36mm filter and 39mm filter)
- One Super Takumar 105 mm
- Two versions of the 135mm (with 36mm filter and 39mm filter)
- The auto Takumar 135mm
- The super takumar version of the 135mm
- The super Takumar 135mm f2.5
- The auto Takumar 85mm f1.8
- The SMC Takumar 85mm f1.8
- The SMC 150mm f3.5
- The SMC 200mm f4
- The Takumar 200mm f3.5 (manual)
- The Takumar 200mm f5.6 (preset)
- The Takumar 300mm f3.5 (manual)

The only one I now really crave is the 105mm auto Takumar to complete the set. (OK I know there are others including some desirable early 35mm lenses (manual) and some longer lenses but I dont feel any strong urge for them.)

So you can see I am a Pentax screw mount addict and can say that pretty well all of these lenses do a pretty fine job.

Last edited by peterm1 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:46 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW pretty well all of these lenses are comparatively cheap and readily affordable providing good vlaue for money considering their performance. The only excpetion t hat comes to mind are the 85mm lenses which seem to be scarce and in demand. They always seem to attract a high price.

Last edited by peterm1 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice collection!

The SMC 150mm f3.5 how about this lens ? It has strange focal length...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Very nice collection!

The SMC 150mm f3.5 how about this lens ? It has strange focal length...

Thanks Attila it given me a lot of pleasure over the years. The 150mm is an odd focal length and I dont know why they ever dreamed it up. I have not used it for a long time and cannot recall its performance. It is one of those less common ones that I grabbed when I saw one at the right price as I knew I probably would not see another one for a while, and then put it aside and more or less forgot about. I am sure other users here know exactly what that is like! I will try some shots soon and post the results.

There is one other lens I forgot to mention that I have considered getting. There is a SMC Takumar 100mm f4 macro lens which is said to be very good. It comes up on eBay from time to time so the chances are I will get one sooner or later as I am attracted to this 100mm - 105mm focal length.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100mm macro takumar one of my next targeted lens Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Attlia

Here is one I have been watching for a while and its been tempting me but having just bought a new Nikon 105mm f4 micro I do not see myself getting it anytime soon. So if you are tempted, be my guest..............

http://cgi.ebay.com/PENTAX-100MM-F-4-MACRO-SMC-SPOT-F-COUPLING-MULTI-COATED_W0QQitemZ180189584708QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4688QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:
Let us know what you think about the camera too...

It handles beautifully - compact but not too small with everything in the right place. Nice solid construction too.

peterm1 wrote:

- The 35mm f 3.5 auto Takumar
- The 35mm f 2.3 auto Takumar
- The 35mm f3.5 super Takumar
- The 35mm f3.5 SMC Takumar
- A couple of examples of the auto Takumar 55mm f2
- A couple of the super tak 50mm
- A super Takumar 50mm f1.4
- The SMC Macro Takumar f4.
- Two versions of the preset 105mm (with 36mm filter and 39mm filter)
- One Super Takumar 105 mm
- Two versions of the 135mm (with 36mm filter and 39mm filter)
- The auto Takumar 135mm
- The super takumar version of the 135mm
- The super Takumar 135mm f2.5
- The auto Takumar 85mm f1.8
- The SMC Takumar 85mm f1.8
- The SMC 150mm f3.5
- The SMC 200mm f4
- The Takumar 200mm f3.5 (manual)
- The Takumar 200mm f5.6 (preset)
- The Takumar 300mm f3.5 (manual)

I'd better hide that list from my wife Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Peter! If I can sell any lenses soon I will take it I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Superb lens, Attila. It's one of the few Heliar formula lenses available on 35mm cameras. The other ones being the 58/2.4 Takumar and the 50/2 Classic Heliar recently released by Cosina/Voigländer -- but the latter is a rangefinder lens. Apart from these rare lenses, the Heliar was strictly a medium and large format lens. Well, the Heliar formula retains its correction from aberrations even when used at very close range, so maybe there were macro lenses from other manufacturers with the same 5 element/3 group formula, but I am not aware of them.

The Heliar has an unique rendering, highly suitable for portrait work. The quality of its out of focus blur is outstanding.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:

Superb lens, Attila. It's one of the few Heliar formula lenses.....
Abbazz

Are the K mount SMC 'M' Macro 100mm f4 optically identical to the M42 Takumar S-M-C 100mm f4 Macro?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Are the K mount SMC 'M' Macro 100mm f4 optically identical to the M42 Takumar S-M-C 100mm f4 Macro?

Yes.

Here are a few pictures taken with my SMC-Takumar 100/4 Macro lens, wide open:

Note the nice background blur.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images tell a lot about the capability of this lens! I especially love the out-of-focus areas on the f:5.6 shots...beautiful!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sharp wide open, from what I can understand from the resizes.
Very beautiful image samples.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the great samples Abbazz - looks like a very desirable lens. There are just too amny for one person to try (except Attila of course) Smile Smile Smile

patrickh