Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1st shots with Pentax S1a and 55mm f2 Super-Tak NEW SHOTS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice comments and sorry to Richard for hijacking his thread. Embarassed
If the mods want to put my post in another thread, please feel free to do so.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Thanks for the nice comments and sorry to Richard for hijacking his thread. Embarassed
If the mods want to put my post in another thread, please feel free to do so.

Cheers!

Abbazz
Don't apologize on my behalf - I'm always grateful to see great shots Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Abbazz Maybe I should rethink and get this lens anyway. (I mentioned that I am awaiting the Nikkor 105mm f4 to turn up from an eBay purchase.) Those shots are superb. I had a chance to buy one years ago but did not because at that time I was focussed on putting together all of their earlier lenses so I let it go. I have regretted that decision and do so even more now that I see how this lens performs.

BTW for Richard and anyone else who is interested the 50mm f4 macro Takumar is also a superb little lens and quite cheap. There is a later version with auto diaphragm and even better an early version that has a preset aperture and seems to have extreme extension that would suit your camera perfectly

One going right now as a matter of fact if I can put ideas in your head Twisted Evil

Its not mine by the way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Asahi-Opt-Co-Macro-Takumar-1-4-50-2869600-Japan_W0QQitemZ330210920124QQihZ014QQcategoryZ707QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:
Wow Abbazz Maybe I should rethink and get this lens anyway. (I mentioned that I am awaiting the Nikkor 105mm f4 to turn up from an eBay purchase.) Those shots are superb.

Thanks Peter.

The only issue with the SMC Takumar 100/4 is the 6 blade aperture. If find those hexagonal background highlights so disturbing that I always shoot wide open when I cannot control the lighting. I guess the non SMC Bellows-Takumar 100/4 from 1964 has a more rounded diaphragm, but it's only usable on a bellows.

The 50/4 Macro is a different beast with a classic Tessar formula (4 element / 3 group lens).

Edit: Peter, I just had a look at your lens on eBay. There might be a problem with the aperture blades, what do you think?

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
peterm1 wrote:
Wow Abbazz Maybe I should rethink and get this lens anyway. (I mentioned that I am awaiting the Nikkor 105mm f4 to turn up from an eBay purchase.) Those shots are superb.

Thanks Peter.

The only issue with the SMC Takumar 100/4 is the 6 blade aperture. If find those hexagonal background highlights so disturbing that I always shoot wide open when I cannot control the lighting. I guess the non SMC Bellows-Takumar 100/4 from 1964 has a more rounded diaphragm, but it's only usable on a bellows.

The 50/4 Macro is a different beast with a classic Tessar formula (4 element / 3 group lens).

Edit: Peter, I just had a look at your lens on eBay. There might be a problem with the aperture blades, what do you think?

Cheers!

Abbazz

Abbazz hi. I had a look at the photos. They look OK to me but its hard to tell from this small size image. Some lenses have this saw tooth look to the diaphragm but I do not know about this lens.

The thing that gets me about this preset version is its extension. It appears to be greater than the SMC version but I have not researched it.

The hexagonal highlights in a Takumar lens do not bother me too much. This is pretty common and can be controlled I find. But I do agree I prefer more rounded ones for better bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post deleted by Abbaz because of what we'd call in French a quiproquo: "Blunder made by using or putting one thing for another" – Concise Oxford Dictionary, 4th edition, 1950.

Last edited by Abbazz on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz were you refering to photos you took? I thought you were referring to the small photos of the lens in the eBay ad.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm1 wrote:
Abbazz were you refering to photos you took? I thought you were referring to the small photos of the lens in the eBay ad.

Oops, sorry for the misunderstanding. Embarassed Of course, you were talking about the eBay ad pictures, while I was referring to the photos taken with my Takumar 100/4! Laughing

Regarding the Macro-Takumar 50/4, the preset version has indeed a bit more extension than the later Super-Macro-Takumar and SMC-Macro-Takumar versions (the min. focus is 0.2m vs. 0.234m).

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem of course. I am still amazed by the sharpness of your images. They look great for a "humble" Takumar - as many people would think of them.

By the way I have not heard of "quiproquo" but I have heard that the French have an expression which in English would be something like "the wit of the staircase" This means someone who thinks of a witty response (the kind you would have liked to come out with in conversation) too late when they are departing by the staircase. This is apropos nothing except that (a) its funny to think that there is an expression for such a thing and (b) I think I suffer from it very often - I think of something witty and funny to say but too late. (well don't we all!)

cheers Confused